Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Archives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Fishook,
Welcome and if you are going to be "reading all comments" you're going to be very busy for a very long time. However I assume you meant the comments being made now. Well you'd be sell'in yourself short as there are years of comments available to you that were made in the past that are in the archives. They are about 8 years old and quite likely hold more information than the "comments" that will follow in the next 8 years. We have discussed "to death" many important topics that most here are reluctant to bring up again. So here on the forum the past may be of more value to you than what comes down the road. And you do'nt have to wait for it to get posted. So for conversational "banter" mostly look fwd and for explanations and general information .. look back.
Where are these 'archives' , I didn't see a heading for them??

brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #142
FF
Guru

<What kind of maintenance is recommended for SS diesel fuel tanks?>

Mostly inspection of the installation.

SS has a very hard time if it cant be exposed to air.

Look in PBB for the proper method of SS tank installation and be sure your install is done correctly.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #143
Guru

Fantail Sterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
Two full displacement hulls, same LOA, beam, draft and displacement. One with a fantail and the other with a transom.

The fantail will be shorter on the waterline. Resistance will be lower at very low speeds (no wavemaking) but much higher at high speed (once wavemaking begins). The fantail will have less stability (less waterplane area) and probably be more "pitchy" bucking or running in a sea. If the rudder and keel are of adequate area the fantail may be more directionally stable. The transom may be pushed around by following seas, a larger rudder and deeper keel alleviate most of this. The fantail will trim by the stern more as speed increases, the transom will run flatter and have a higher speed capability. The fantail won't bang as much when backing into a wave.
Tad, can you get a fantail style stern look, but with a bottom that will perform better up to max displacement speed or even just above displacement speed??

I'm asking in relation to that 'redesign' I am investigating for the Pilgrim 40:
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

Hull Shapes----Show us your girl's bottom
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #144
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
All our tanks gravity feed from their lowest points so there is really no maintenance necessary to the tanks as nothing stays in a tank when it's emptied. We've never gotten any water or dirt in the bowls of the Racor filters the fuel runs through on the way to the engines. The tanks were made with large inspection ports but we have had no reason to remove them.
So you never have any condensation in the empty tanks. if they were to be left empty for some period of time?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #145
FF
Guru

IF its stored empty , with a low point drain , checking for any waterbefore returning to service is easy.

The important point is with an empty tank there is no food (FUEL) for the bugs to eat.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #146
Guru

And my thought is way drag around a whole load of fuel (weight) all of the time. Just fuel the 'big tanks' when you need or want that extra range.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #147

City: Clarksville
Vessel Name: Ancient mariner
Vessel Model: Hyatt50
Wife and I purchased this boat in July. Five days to bring her back to Maryland, had a awesome trip. The boat is as great as what you see in the pictures. Boat did roll a little when we ran on the outside for a full day in 4plus sea hitting on the beam, but I would say must boats would have done the same. I'm 6'5" and can easy move throughout the engine for all maintenance.
HyattFantail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyattFantail View Post
Boat did roll a little when we ran on the outside for a full day in 4plus sea hitting on the beam, but I would say must boats would have done the same..
I think that most trawlers would have quite a bit of roll with 4-foot seas on the beam. I know that mine would! So if your wife is still with you after that trip then it must be a very stable boat. :-)

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #149
Guru

Self-sufficient vessel
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - My Albin, tell us about yours

I've asked him for any more details he might offer on his boat's set-up
Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #150
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
I left my boat with both full tanks for 6 months, but I used Diesel Fuel Additive.
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #151
FF
Guru

Just fuel the 'big tanks' when you need or want that extra range.

Glad you said tanks ,

I think for most yacht service a series of plastic tanks and a good sized day tank would be best.

The seldom used cruising tanks would be sized that they can transfer to each other and to the day tank.

First tank would transfer all its contents to the day tank.

When the day tank was 1/2 full or so a big tank would refill the first tank and any extra would go in the day tank. All tanks would use this procedure, from full to empty via first tank and day tank.

This would allow big fuel for big needs , a winter aboard with diesel heat , or even a cruise,and ALL the tanks (except the day tank) to be empty almost all of the time .

No fuel, no water , no bugs .KISS
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #152
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Something that people do not think about is the ballast that full fuel tanks provides.

Many FD boats have thousands of pounds of ballast.

SD boats typically do not have ballast.

440 gallons of fuel is over 2500 pounds, down low, just where you need it. 2500 pounds of ballast.

200 gallons of water is over 1200 pounds of additional ballast.

So, together we have something over 3700 pounds of ballast when we leave the dock.

We have found that our SD boat rides much better with full fuel tanks, and full water tanks, so we keep the tanks near full all the time.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Where are these 'archives' , I didn't see a heading for them??
Still didn't here anything about the location / access to these 'archives'
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #154
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
You are right, but I filled my tanks 3 months ago and I 'll just go next month. I'm at Luperon, Dominican Rep, and i'll go to Salinas, Puerto Rico.
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #155
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Gopo

In the 32-35 ft range you described you may find:

Your 360 degree visibility is compromised at the inside helm if you have both an inside and outside helm. Few boats in this size range have a pilot house with a flying bridge as well. Thus the inside steering is part of the salon and is less frequently used than with the pilot house boats.

In the 32-35 ft range many twin engine boats have very crowded engine spaces. If maintenance is ignored because it is difficult to do you will suffer in the long run.

In the 32-35 ft range consider a single engine boat with one steering station. You may decide that for you there are better uses of the limited space than a second engine or a second steering station. Something like the 34 ft American Tugs/Nordic Tugs may be ideal and give you a great cruising boat as well as a good live aboard.

If you plan on living at anchor you will need to generate electricity. There are a few options here. The main engines alternator, a diesel generator, solar panels, or a wind generator. The decision here is two fold, do you intend to keep moving or stay in one place. Do you intend to limit your electricity use as if on a sailboat or does TV, computers and residential refrigerator appeal to you. If you want a residential lifestyle you will likely need a diesel generator.

Heads. Don't be afraid to go with a single head in a 34 ft boat. Just keep a full set of spares for the toilet. The space for a second head has to come from somewhere and you may prefer to have a larger salon or stateroom.

Tankage. If you are going to the Bahamas, you need good freshwater tankage. 150 gallons or more. In the United States waste tankage is an issue in that you don't want to go searching for a pump out every couple of days. 50 gallons or more is my suggestion for two people living aboard.

Good luck,

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #156
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Try using the "search" feature. It should bring up threads for most any subject.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #157
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Try using the "search" feature. It should bring up threads for most any subject.
Don is correct Brian. Many members incorrectly refer others to "look in the archives". This forum does not currently "archive" threads in the sense that some do. Simply look into the topics and scroll through the pages or use the search feature.

At some point in the future we may find a need to archive threads but there is no need at this point. If we ever do access will remain as it is now, unrestricted to all.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #158
Veteran Member

City: Oak Harbor WA.
Vessel Name: Slow Flight
Vessel Model: CHB 45
We sailed the San Juans and into Canada, for 9 years in a 31' Cutter. Moved to a 45 CHB Pilot house with a single 671 Detroit and a bow thruster. Wabasto 2010 with multi zone heat. Galley up and propane for the stove. We are very happy with this boat. Take your time and find the boat that is love at first sight. Then get a survey and oil samples.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #159
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Just completed a delivery run from Turkey to Uruguay on a 44 Diesel Duck. I was amazed at the sea-keeping capability of this little boat. It's a single 165hp JD engine with a 30hp get-home wing. We used 3000 ltrs of (tanks are 4800ltrs) fuel, but did on occasion use the steadying sails - in 2m beam seas!

If I was buying a new trawler today - I would put a George Buehler design at/near the top of the list. I would want two small engines, rather than one big one and a bed in the pilothouse.
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #160
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider42 View Post
Just completed a delivery run from Turkey to Uruguay on a 44 Diesel Duck. I was amazed at the sea-keeping capability of this little boat. It's a single 165hp JD engine with a 30hp get-home wing. We used 3000 ltrs of (tanks are 4800ltrs) fuel, but did on occasion use the steadying sails - in 2m beam seas! If I was buying a new trawler today - I would put a George Buehler design at/near the top of the list. I would want two small engines, rather than one big one and a bed in the pilothouse.
I would like to read more about this trip. Did you have a blog?

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote