Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
That said I'm going to admit I've owned a Jaguar and done computer dating.

PS:
I actually like the boat swampu posted pics of. Just to confuse a few people.
It looks like it could be on a CHB 34 hull.
The hull does look like a CHB or MT 34. But that house, yuck ... man, it looks like something I built!

Jags - still lusting after them but unwilling to spend the money. Computer dating - highly recommended. Ohhh, the stories I could tell!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Northern Spy--- What's your avatar photo from?
Johann, the Chief Mechanic on U-96, Das Boot.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #23

City: Seaford, De
Vessel Name: Bold Rascal
Vessel Model: 1982 SR355 Searay Aft Cabin
My own $0.02

First of all, you can tell by my avatar that my wife and I are still sailing (33' Pearson Sloop) and for the past year or so have been discussing and planning to liveaboard in the not too distant future.

We still enjoy sailing and innitially we started looking at larger, roomier "beamier" sailboats. Ultimately and I suppose like many others, we soon came to realize that for the price of that bigger sailboat (one comfortable enough to actually liveaboard) we could do just as well and be much more comfortable with a trawler. We do plan to keep the Pearson though, at least innitially.

So here we are, Reading everything we can to get knowledgeable on the subject, discussing our current lifestyle and imagining how it would translate to living aboard and being realistic about how we would actually be using the boat.

Then of course you start factoring in all the possible boats that there are on the market. The various styles, types, propulsion, displacement. Incidentally, we are not interrested in investing hundred's of thousand's of dollar's in a new or nearly new boat, Our market is going to be the "used" market and that less than $120K.

It's amazing how many trawlers there are available but were noticing that the really good values do not last on the market for very long...

I'm not even going to discuss the options, feature's and variation's that are available but I do most heartily agree with one very important piece of advice we've received. COMFORT. I don't necesarily mean luxury, I have nothing against it at all. But comfort in that being something that does not detract from the quality of your daily life.

I'm not sure where one crosses the line between being considerred a cruiser or a full time liveaboard. Most everyone is willing to endure some sacrifice in comfort and consider it as some part of the price to be paid for the result or experience. But I for one cannot afford, nor have the time to be buying and selling multiple boats to find the "right one". Best we can do is to look at, get aboard (experience) as many vessels as we can and start compiling our selections/desires from that.

I think boatpoker said it very well: Go with the smallest boat you can be comfortable with. Word's like smallest and comfortable are subjective though, defined only by the one who has to live with the decision.

So far the only thing we've ruled out is anything under 36'. But whatever the "right one" turn's out to be, it WILL have a sundeck!
Bold Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Spy,
Perhaps even most. That wasn't the case when boats were ma de of wood.
One manufacturer (Nordhavn) has only one boat that is attractive in my opinion and I think we had a discussion about that awhile back. Nordic Tugs w/o FB and Flemmings are the only ones that come to mind that are actually attractive OH and ironically the boat sanders has (numbers) also comes to mind as a good looking boat and only from a distance.
So being surrounded by ugliness makes some of us more critical.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
Guru

City: Here
Mirror ?
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
Guru

poker,
I meant to be poking fun at myself. Everyone that's been here for awhile knows I'm critical. Sombody's gotta say someth'in or it all piles up under the rug.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
poker,
I meant to be poking fun at myself.
There is the expression one can't trust someone who doesn't drink (spirits/alcohol). I'd say trust applies more to someone who can laugh at himself.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
My Admiral says that I don't trust anyone that has a better looking boat than mine.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Rascal View Post
..... available but were noticing that the really good values do not last on the market for very long...
This can be one advantage to using a broker to help you find a boat. They often will know about boats that are coming onto the market but haven't been listed yet. So you can get in ahead of the crowd. This how we learned of and subsequently bought our GB.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #30

City: Naples
Hey gopro, I am in the same situation as you are and just joined yesterday. Been on fishing boats most of the time and decided to go to the other side. Have my 30 ft Whaler for sale now and looking at the trawler life. This forum is great and picked up alot of information already and looking forward to reading all comments and suggestions. Started a list with length, hull and engine at the top and will go from there. All suggestions are welcome
Fishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
Guru

Fishook,
Welcome and if you are going to be "reading all comments" you're going to be very busy for a very long time. However I assume you meant the comments being made now. Well you'd be sell'in yourself short as there are years of comments available to you that were made in the past that are in the archives. They are about 8 years old and quite likely hold more information than the "comments" that will follow in the next 8 years. We have discussed "to death" many important topics that most here are reluctant to bring up again. So here on the forum the past may be of more value to you than what comes down the road. And you do'nt have to wait for it to get posted. So for conversational "banter" mostly look fwd and for explanations and general information .. look back.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #32

City: Naples
You are correct, I have been reading alot in the past. Good information. Been looking over the last year and just joined yesterday.
Fishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. Fh! Now would you be wanting galley up or single/twins....hahahahaha.....No response necessary.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Welcome Fishhook. Getting off yachtworld and stepping aboard a variety of boats at a local dealer brings things into perspective pretty fast.

Generally the smallest boat that accomplishes your goals is a good benchmark. Once you have a general idea of what your after it'll tighten up your search net quite a bit.

Happy hunting.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
Guru

B Lurker,
You said something a few posts ago that I would like to amplify.

You talked about lusting after Jaguars and that emotion .. LUSTING is something that should be a part of or a BIG part of our relationship to our boats. I lusted after Willy "big time" when we bought her and a great deal of the lust has gone under the bridge since then but I still love her to some degree. Enough to be serious about her maintenance and of course that's important

And these plastic boats lacking warmth and the best of lines are a bit harder to love or lust over. But re the OP I think we are much better off if we have a good emotional relationship w our boat and when we buy our boat we have a very good chance to insure that that happens.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:

LUSTING is something that should be a part of or a BIG part of our relationship to our boats. I lusted after Willy "big time" when we bought her and a great deal of the lust has gone under the bridge since then but I still love her to some degree. Enough to be serious about her maintenance and of course that's important

And these plastic boats lacking warmth and the best of lines are a bit harder to love or lust over. But re the OP I think we are much better off if we have a good emotional relationship w our boat and when we buy our boat we have a very good chance to insure that that happens.

Amen Eric. I've learned a great deal in a short time. The one emotion that is missing when looking at a particular boat is a desire to own it. My sailboat is fine and doubt a larger one is in my future, lot's of fun overall though. When looking at larger boats something is always missing. The feeling that THIS boat is the right fit for me right now. No sense of urgency hits me except when looking at one particular boat.

30' Monterey trollers are perhaps the worst single choice for any kind of comfort on the water. They're old, small, industrial, cramped cabin, deck space chopped up with fish holds, terrible for holding value, etc... Wood maintenance is going to be a lot of time, work, I.E. money pit. But like a moth to a flame I keep coming back to look at them time after time. So essentially I do lust for one.

Before long I'll do something stupid like get the checkbook out after looking at one. Probably complain bitterly later for buying it but it's perhaps the next step toward our "eventual" floating retirement villa.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #37
Guru

CP holy cow ..... no need to throw good judgement out the window to get all warm and fuzzy. But if you can find one w a hull that someone worked over completely ... refastening and all questionable wood replaced .. maaa bie. Sounds more like something to admire rather than purchase. I'm sure that's what kasanders would say. My Willard's looking more practical all the time.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats
I don't think anyone world lust after the lines of a big butt sun deck model like mine but she's full of warmth on the inside and that big butt gives her a great master stateroom. She's not as pretty as Eric's boat but beauty is only skin deep. . I love my boat.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym

30' Monterey trollers are perhaps the worst single choice for any kind of comfort on the water. They're old, small, industrial, cramped cabin, deck space chopped up with fish holds, terrible for holding value, etc... Wood maintenance is going to be a lot of time, work, I.E. money pit. But like a moth to a flame I keep coming back to look at them time after time. So essentially I do lust for one.

Here's a project for you, then. I took this several years ago in Fisherman's Bay on Lopez Island. Don't know if it's still there, or if it is, if it's still on top of the water. While I initially thought it was a Monterey herring boat I subsequently decided it was a Columbia River gillnet boat. Same design either way, however. This is one of my favorite designs, too, dating from my days as a wee lad of 3 or 4 when my mother would take me for walks on the docks of Sausalito harbor where we lived for the first seven years of my life before moving to Hawaii.

There was a whole working fleet of boats there of this design and for whatever reason I focused on one painted green and yellow called the "Lucky Lady." I suspect that is what instilled in me a desire to always be near an ocean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2993640990.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	13936
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
PS:
I actually like the boat swampu posted pics of. Just to confuse a few people.
It looks like it could be on a CHB 34 hull.
Eric, you are right there. There is a bit of a CHB 34 look about her hull, and even the topsides are not too different from my own sedan version. It's sort of almost as if someone got a basic CHB 34 hull, and built - or maybe rebuilt - the whole superstructure...?
Attached Thumbnails
Image081.jpg  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote