Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #201
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Wouldn't the newer electronic controlled, hi-pressure, common-rail diesels eliminate this 'excessive fuel' problem at the lower RPM's ??
I am pretty sure my tractor engine is a common rail engine. My truck engine had the same problem at the same time. I was driving into an area that I call the Valley of Death because, one it is in a valley, and two, the traffic was just horrible. At the time, the drive from work to home took about 70-80 minutes one way and I would get stuck in traffic for about 10-20 minutes on each leg of the trip. This was stop and go traffic followed by 55 MPH driving. The truck ended up with a bit of fuel in the oil because of idling in the traffic.

Prior to driving into the Valley of Death, the oil was just fine. Now that I do not have to drive into that place the oil has been fine. The truck has a common rail engine.

Later,
Dan

dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #202
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually a yellow roof is not just a very colorful accent. It is very much a potential benefit in both theft and problems at sea, making the boat far easier to see and identify. ...
The selection of a bright yellow roof was for practical reasons: visibility and identification; not a fashion statement.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #203
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Underside of Cockpit Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The selection of a bright yellow roof was for practical reasons: visibility and identification; not a fashion statement.
Speaking of practicality, I saw at one time a very unique solution to the considerable 'glare' that a helmsman can experience when operating a vessel on a bright sunny day while being under a white colored overhead structure. Plaint the overhead a darker color

This can occur often on sailing vessels that have a built-in sun awning of fiberglass that is often white gel coat in color. The helmsman is peering out from under this awning into bright sunlight, and then gets another reflection off the water into the underside of the 'awning'. Its surprising how much glare is eliminated by coloring the underside of that covering a darker, less reflective color.

I've got a photo somewhere, if I can find it.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #204
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What I would look for in a trawler is one that has been refitted and upgraded by several owners over the years. Every owner has his favorite thing .. like mechanical, electronics, carpets and beautiful paint, systems like heads, stoves and ground tackle. Over time a boat can be created that would cost way more than it was worth to duplicate. I say look for it. You won't pay much over the average price. Any given model boat is only worth so much on the market.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #205
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Speaking of practicality, I saw at one time a very unique solution to the considerable 'glare' that a helmsman can experience when operating a vessel on a bright sunny day while being under a white colored overhead structure. Plaint the overhead a darker color ...
Similarly, my forward cabin roof in front of the pilothouse windows is straw-colored.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #206
FF
Guru

>Every owner has his favorite thing .. like mechanical, electronics, carpets and beautiful paint, systems like heads, stoves and ground tackle. Over time a boat can be created that would cost way more than it was worth to duplicate. I say look for it. You won't pay much over the average price. Any given model boat is only worth so much on the market.<

This only works if you select a boat owner that wanted the EXACT same life style that you desire.

If it was set up with systems to cruise and anchor out most of the time it will be a far different outfitting than a weekend dock queen , or a liveaboard on the power hose.

ON bus conversions its called MY Way , and the desirements must match.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #207
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
You don't haf'ta have EXACTLY what you want.

Just somewhat close.

The other way is to buy the boat you want and then fix and upgrade and change it to what you want. But you'll grow w the boat and want a different after awhile. And it will cost you a ton of boat bucks.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #208
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Ghostrider42,

What engine is in the boat?
135hp + 40hp wing engine

Quote:
What RPM was used during the trip?
We alternated btwn the main @ 850rpm and the wing @ 450rpm
and used the sails about 30% of the time. We never dropped the sails all the way down when the seas got rough.

Quote:
One of the reasons I like the Diesel Duck design is low fuel usage. I do not want to be running across the water at high speed, so moving along slowly is just fine.
Under normal circumstances you would get 3000nm on the tanks. Less if you speed up to 1000rpm and more if reduced to 550rpm.

Quote:
I also would prefer to have a normally aspirated engine but looking at JD engines it seems I would have to have a turbo to get the HP specified by the boat design. There are normally aspirated engines around 80-85 HP which seems adequate.
Yes, anything exc a Volvo or YM - I hate them. Rather have a MB80, Cummins 3.9, Cat or Iveco. A JD, as long as it's not a YM block.

Quote:
The other issue I have is does the boat rally need all of this HP? The Diesel Duck 48 will use about 14 HP to go 7.4 knots and 40 HP to go 8.8. Well, 7 knots is fast enough for me, so does the boat really need 100+ HP? To go 15% faster, takes almost 3 times the HP and corresponding fuel usage.
Probably not, but American customers see this big boat and want a big engine. It's just not practical.

Dan, my Dad and I built custom cats for years in Panama. The 50ft used a pair of Westerbeke 44C's and the 42 had a pair of 30C's - naturals. We had built eight or so, when customers wanted more hp. This we refused to do. I put a Cummins 3.3 into a Frers 55 design, but nothing larger.

Currently into a 60ft aluminum plate alloy build that will use a pair of 44C's to power 18kw electric motors.
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #209

City: London
Vessel Name: Dora Mac
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462
I own a Diesel Duck 462 hull #5 and we burn 1.6 gallons per hour at 6.5 knots and 1500 RPM. That is close to a liter per mile and we can carry 7,500 liters of fuel.
I'm new to the forum but we have spent the last 7 years aboard Dora Mac and we're now in London, UK
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #210

Dora Mac

I'll try to upload a picture of Dora Mac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7945.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	28206  
Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #211
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I like the full walk areund deck and one level front to back.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #212
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I like the full walk areund deck and one level front to back.
I appreciate mine too.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #213
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Johnson View Post
I own a Diesel Duck 462 hull #5 and we burn 1.6 gallons per hour at 6.5 knots and 1500 RPM. That is close to a liter per mile and we can carry 7,500 liters of fuel.
I'm new to the forum but we have spent the last 7 years aboard Dora Mac and we're now in London, UK
Thanks for posting and welcome. I have read of the Dora Mac's journeys here and there on various blogs. Its amazing how the Duck Flock seems to gather in far away places. I would be reading someone's post or blog, and a Diesel Duck boat name would be mentioned and I would recognize the name, which might mean I am reading too much!

We are off to the Trawler Fest in WA this May. Bill Kimley mentioned that a 462 would be at the show but I did not recognize the owners or the boats name. Somehow over the weekend, I surfed into David Cohn's blog about bringing the Shearwater back to the US from China which I read in its entirety. I did not realize until today that the Sherwater will be the 462 at the show!

Later,
Dan
Old 03-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #214

I attended that show in 2004 and helped show 462 hull #1 at the Seattle show in 2006. There were people lined up on the dock waiting to see the boat. We have found that our Diesel Duck has always been well received when we pull into a marina.
mydoramac.com
Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #215
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Johnson View Post
... We have found that our Diesel Duck has always been well received when we pull into a marina.
mydoramac.com
Same for the Coot.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #216
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>

The CPP solves the problem. Controllable Pitch Propeller, not as expensive as you might imagine.
Which gear mfg are you referring to? I've priced the prop/shaft/tranny combos before and they were minimum 20k for a small boat.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #217
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Which gear mfg are you referring to? I've priced the prop/shaft/tranny combos before and they were minimum 20k for a small boat.
This link has numbers from 1999, so the prices will have changed, but there is some very usable information on the page, including CPP suppliers.

Controllable Pitch Propellers

Later,
Dan
Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #218
FF
Guru

We alternated btwn the main @ 850rpm and the wing @ 450rpm

Is this SHAFT rpm? What engines?

Many modern diesels wont idle at 450 rpm.

Most eng mfg start their HP graphs at the lowest allowable engine load speed frequently 1500, but for some its 1200rpm.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote