Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We choose not to ride on anything on the streets or roads that doesn't have us surrounded with metal or fiberglass. It's too much like rock, paper, scissors except motorcycles and bicycles always lose to cars and trucks.
That's why I just stay away from them....not always easy...I will walk the bike in some situations.

In rural areas and small towns...the bike is the only way to get around. No busses, shuttles, t taxis and waiting for a freindly resident may be a long wait.

Of course you can always walk..but 5 to 10 miles on a bike doesn't wreck the day like hoofing it would both in time and energy wise.

When in foreign ports off USCG cutters we hoofed it many miles to get places.....always thought a bike would make sense some of the time. Been doing the "cruisin" life for nearly 40 years now one way or another...the old legs are wearing out.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #22

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Check above in this folder for "Folding bicycles", a related thread and more comments on folders.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
When I was 17, my buddies dad tossed him the keys to a Trojan 31' flybridge, a credit card and said "Have fun!" We headed off down the Chesapeake with his Honda Super 90 strapped to the swim platform. It was a most excellent adventure for a couple of teenagers!

These days, I'm thinking of a folding bike....:-)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #24

City: KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
We have Priority Bikes. Aluminum frames, most everything stainless and no chain. A belt. No complicated chain set up with multiple sprockets. In hub 3 speed. No app needed to fingger out which of 22 speeds to choose. Weigh a little over 20lb.
I found out about this on this forum...love the bikes, no maintance to speak of.
Thanks for the info on the Bikes!! We always travel with ours but they're heavy & tend to rust in a salt environment.
Manleytl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Second here on Priority Bikes. We have 2, found out here too.

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Many marinas have courtesy vehicles. Many towns are small enough that walking works. We have a folding grocery cart for carrying groceries, laundry, etc. Other boaters have driven us to the store and back and sometimes townspeople have offered to drive us back to the marina when they see us shopping or walking. One marina we stayed at recently pays for a taxi to and from the local grocery store. Not the tip, though.

Our boat is a bit small for bicycles or other means of transportation and of course, bicycles don't last long when sprayed with salt water.

If push comes to shove, you can pay for a lot of taxi or bus rides for what a pair of good "marine" folding bicycles cost and you don't have to find a place to store them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #27
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Second here on Priority Bikes.
third here...My wife loves hers, though it's not for boat use...
Old 09-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #28
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I went the same route as PSN. Cheap Walmart mountain bike. His cost $79, mine cost $89. I bought it 4yrs ago and it sits in cockpit and I run fast in chop with lots of spray. It gets salt drenched. I hose it off and spay anti corr goo on it, which sorta works. Still it is pretty rusty and might not live much longer.

I think any bike would get wrecked with salt spray, so might as well be cheap.

My old college bookbag makes toting smaller things easy. Bigger things might make long distance travel with a dock cart, a taxi or uber. Major grub/brew replenisments always are taxi/uber or if in luck a courtesy car.

Short trips on hoof.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #29
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I've got a little Honda 125 that comes apart for travel. Never tried it on the boat, but should. It might be a bit awkward getting it on and off depending on the dock.

However, I'm pretty much a bike fan, and use mine quite a bit. Not folding but probably should be. Shopping right now. The Montigue looks the best overall, with an excellent reputation, but will rust.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #30
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
If you're looking for a good folding cart to carry groceries back to the boat, try one of these. Some friends have one and it's great. About $65 on Amazon.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #31
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
If you're looking for a good folding cart to carry groceries back to the boat, try one of these. Some friends have one and it's great. About $65 on Amazon.

GFC,

do you have a link to that one? Suspect it would be great to hitch to the back of a bike.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #32
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Try this link
Folding Wagon
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #33
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Even comes with cup holders!
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #34
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Walking works for me, if too long a distance I'll take a cab or courtesy car if available. Otherwise rent a car, usually Enterprise has good prices plus will pick up and drop you off.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #35
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
His and Hers mountain bikes with folding baskets each side of rear fenders. Record to date of grocery toting, $165 worth, but had to use the handle bars and baskets !
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #36
Guru

City: Here
After riding many crappy folding bikes and replacing many badly rusted conventional bikes we bought two full size Trek District's, aircraft aluminum frames, Carbon fiber forks, no gears and belt drive ... no chains to rust.

My 5'2, 120lb. (don't tell her I told you) wife can lift both of them at the same time, one in each hand. They are about 7 years old now and like new.

We rode them from the harbour to dinner (in the rain) at the Blue Rose Inn in Cape May tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5475.JPG  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"they became too much of a target so we go rid of them."

Used GIRLS bikes are far less likely to grow legs.

And use the NYC concept Show Sh*t,

rattle can the bike with pink or yellow paint , right over the rust , and you will spend less time chaining them up.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #38
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
At Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes this weekend, a guy was spotted using his davit to unload his Harley from the cockpit of his boat. I would have loved to have seen him ride that up the ramp.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
At Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes this weekend, a guy was spotted using his davit to unload his Harley from the cockpit of his boat. I would have loved to have seen him ride that up the ramp.
We saw something similar in Solomons, MD. Not a Harley, but a motorcycle of some sort. I watched him roll it back down the ramp. He had had a few drinks and I was worried but he didn't fall off the edge.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: M/V Nomad
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 31
I buy a new (cheap) bike every year. I have found that a "girls" 26" with a rigid frame to be the best. Rigid frame to accommodate a heavy basket frame, 26" because it fits well on the bus rack. Girls so I don't need to do a high kick to get over that previously mentioned rear cargo basket. I usually find a bike like this at about $50-85. I figure the use I get in a year equals the normal life time of these bikes, and they do rust out. I tried "Rust free" and more expensive bikes, but they fell apart just as fast. I actually had a crank rust until it broke internally on an expensive bike in under a year. And, Yes, I do take care of them, liberal use of lithium grease and a wipe down every morning.
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote