Old 10-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Stockbridge,Vt - Punta Gorda,Fla.
Vessel Name: Satori
Vessel Model: 1984 34 Mainship
Ya know, marina people do look out for each other to a good degree. Say hello to your slip neighbors, buy them a beer, and ask them to keep an eye on your boat. I'm sure they will.

KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We recently set up a What`s App group for the marina. We`ve some liveaboards, some frequent attenders,etc. Early days but if someone notices something,they post it, others see it. Recently someone thought they left a window open, posted it,someone checked, resolved.
Some solar will keep the batts happy without leaving the power on, but if you need heat you probably need the power connected
I like this idea of the WhatsApp group!! My liveaboard dock has about 20 boats or so. I never see lots of the owners but they all live there. I'm gonna try and coordinate this. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

I suppose the main thing I was hoping to learn from this thread is how easy it is to find a place to stick a boat for a month, and whether it would break the bank or not. So far it sounds like something else to not worry about, which I'm very okay with.
Keep in mind, you're not the first. You're not inventing a new situation or facing something no one has before. Plenty of people left a boat for a month or more. There may be a cost involved but not likely outrageous. Also, today's technology can help you. I mentioned alarms and cameras but also some simple things. Let's say you engage someone to check on your boat twice a week. Have them take a couple of photos and text it to you. You now have the comfort they checked. People do this with houses and pets all the time. They especially don't trust pet sitters so require short videos from their twice a day walks of their dogs and feeding.

Also, don't apologize for being a worrier. I've found worrier's are also great preparer's. We think of things in advance as you've done here and we take the steps to minimize problems and reduce our need to worry.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #24
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I have a satellite 360 degree security camera on my radar arch that I can check from my smart phone. Google it. The cost for me is $7.95 a month. Well worth the piece of mind even though Iím in a gated marina, there is still water access.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I have a satellite 360 degree security camera on my radar arch that I can check from my smart phone. Google it. The cost for me is $7.95 a month. Well worth the piece of mind even though Iím in a gated marina, there is still water access.
If I couldn't see a boat on a camera, I'd worry constantly. We have alarms but also cameras. When I'm in a strange place, just being on shore for the day, I'd worry. But, as you say, for $7.95 a month you can see your boat.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote