Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Pensacola
Weapons Preservation on board

** Not a Gun Advocacy or Control thread!!**

For those of us who excercise our 2nd Amendment rights, have you noticed any particular difficulty in corrosion prevention while your guns are aboard? I am looking for any issues or recommendations you all might have conquered.

I use the remington gun sock at home in the safe, thinking it might do well on the boat?

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
We are armed when cruising on over-night trips (better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it). But since we don't live-aboard we transport our weapons between the house and the boat. So the corrosion issue is mute. However, a few manufactures, like Mossberg, offer a 12-ga shotgun that is "marinized". It is also sold with a water-tight case for protection.

I would think if the gun is properly oiled and cleaned regularly, corrosion would be a non-issue. No?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I've never had a problem, but the inside of my boat is always air conditioned unless we're under way. Of course, most of my guns are stainless steel or marinized (I have that shotgun mentioned). Standard care should be OK, but if you want some extra long term protection there are some oils with a wax content that leave a visible film on the metal.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
On longer trips we carry a short barreled, long magazine 12-gauge pump shotgun, the same one we carry on floatplane trips. As the metal is blued, not stainless, on the boat we keep it well oiled on the outside and carry it in a visquine bag inside a padded fabric case. We've never had a problem with any sort of rust but then it's not living in a marine environment on a year-round basis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S69RXL.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	12142  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Glock 9mm for a handgun but want to also add a shotgun.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I keep mine, a revolver, wrapped up in a silicone cloth. That seems to work fine but we don't have much of an issue of things inside the boat rusting anyway.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Guru

Marin you make me jealous. That's a beautiful old gun and a pretty sharp looking Range Rover its resting on!

As for the guns, I stick with what I was taught to use from a very early age 3-n-1 oil. Keep in cloth scabbard or holsters that are a little damp with it from years of use

http://www.3inone.com/uses-tips/
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Georgia
There is the U.S. Survival AR-7 from Henry Arms, here: Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right
"The Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 comes standard with a sturdy steel barrel covered in tough ABS plastic and then coated with Teflon for complete protection against corrosion." It's a 22, but oh so cool when stored in the stock.
I'd like to get one, but not for personal protection. I have other weapons for that.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Guru

Thanks guys. Marin, love the rover.

I am talking about when living aboard. My CCW us a 1911 SA Loaded. My boat gun is a Mossberg 12.

Also AR 15.

I use G96 CLP.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: -
The shotgun is a Savage Model 69RXL I bought back in the early 80s when my wife and I started flying up the coast into SE Alaska and BC. It's just barely legal in Canada.

The Land Rover (not a Range Rover although we have a Range Rover, too) is a Model 88 Series III that I bought new in 1973 (same year our GB was made) and still have. As I think I've conveyed here before, the Land Rover, or rather the captstan winch on the front of it, is why I'm living in the PNW today.

First shot is on a trip to the Yukon I took with a college friend in 1977. Shipped the LR from Honolulu to Oakland, met my friend who'd come out from Virigina Tech in his Jeep with his canoe, we drove to Seattle, left the Jeep, and carried on to the Yukon in the LR. Second shot is the LR today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yukon 77.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	12151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Land Rover.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	12152  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
This is the Land Rover carried on Calypso for the Costeau Expeditions.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Glock 26 9mm and Remington 870 Express shotgun. Nothing extra ordinary, basic cleaning for the Glock, aerosol Rem Oil and a soft case for the shotgun. It's been my primary duck gun for over 25 years so it's used to being wet.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A firearm is much like most any other metal tool but they have enclosed spaces/mechanisms and tube(s). Thus, protecting their interiors with grease and light lubricants depending on parts in question is important and shouldn't be overlooked.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
What is the procedure for carrying while aboard?I know a CWP is required but aboard,is that like having a gun at home?

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Nope. You are on a piece of transportation, not a home, even if you live aboard. Long guns present no problem but to be safe, you should get a concealed carry permit if you are carrying pistols.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Guru

Ben2Go,
Depends on your state. In Florida, You DO NOT need a CCW to carry on your boat. Boat or RV or Vehicle is considered "Private Conveyance" and as such you are not required to have a CCW in any. A boat can be considered a residence ie home and you may carry you weapon period.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
In 2009 we were boarded by the Coast Guard in Pensacola Bay. Before boarding they asked if any firearms were onboard, we informed them 2 handguns. They said to unload them and put them on the bed. When they boarded one of them went down to the guns and hid the ammunition. They proceeded with their checks and left, on leaving they said where they had put the ammo, under the bed pillow. They did check the boat documentation but didn't ask for anything regarding the guns. They were very courteous and proffessional.
They were Fed. Gov't maybe the regulations change for boats from state to state as the gun laws do on land.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Legal in Ca to have guns on boat

Same as your home in Ca. Smearing a thin layer of gun grease on the surface of a blued gun usually is sufficient. Wiping the bore with oil or a light coating of grease while keeping the action open so the bore can breath. I carry a 870 Rem Marine Mariner and have for over 12 years in the boat no problem.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Ridge, MD
Vessel Name: CANTELYA
Vessel Model: 54' Davis / Westlake
I bought an old Remington 870 and powdercoated the barrel and receiver. Then replaced all the other parts with plastic, folding stock, pistol grip, flashlight. I store it in a PVC pipe with screw a screw on lid with a fishing pole. Its part of my "overboard" bag
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	12166  
jcwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
Guru

City: Georgia
My understanding from my RV days is that most states consider an RV a vehicle, unless the jacks are down, anad then it's a "home" for search purposes. And while logic is never part of any laws, it would seem logical that the boat would be a vehicle, but at anchor or dockside it might be considered a "home" for search purposes. And as we know, different laws apply for vehicles and houses.

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote