Old 07-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #21

Name:  Cannon.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  37.8 KB

I took mine off the boat. But some lovin and ospho does the trick for preservation.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
no concealed permit is required in any state that I know of....as long as you are transiting and the weapon and ammunition are stored accordingly.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld
no concealed permit is required in any state that I know of....as long as you are transiting and the weapon and ammunition are stored accordingly.
No permit required in California.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwyatt View Post
I bought an old Remington 870 and powdercoated the barrel and receiver. Then replaced all the other parts with plastic, folding stock, pistol grip, flashlight. I store it in a PVC pipe with screw a screw on lid with a fishing pole. Its part of my "overboard" bag
Oh yea!!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
Guru

City: Pensacola
Mahal, no worries about CCW with you!
JCWyatt, good idea!
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
What kind of loads do you keep/carry on board for the shotgun?
Where do you keep the ammo and how much? KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
good info.Thanks.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
For ordinary persons traveling in California, firearms must be unloaded. Concealable firearms must be in a locked container. Out-of-state concealed-carry permits are not valid.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #29
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Here's a good site with laws by state: Handgunlaw.us

Like I said earlier, even if you live aboard you do not have the rights someone does in a land based home. You are a conveyence, a mode of travel. That's why the USCG needs no warrant to board and search you. For carrying on a boat, you need to think of what the state you are in has for carry laws in a car. Some allow you to carry loaded in plain sight, some must be unloaded and in the "trunk"...they all vary. All that being said, what's the practical enforcement schtick? When boarded by the Parish Sheriff near Lake Charles, LA, they didn't even ask. For that area, probably a silly question!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Here's a good site with laws by state: Handgunlaw.us

Like I said earlier, even if you live aboard you do not have the rights someone does in a land based home. You are a conveyence, a mode of travel. That's why the USCG needs no warrant to board and search you. For carrying on a boat, you need to think of what the state you are in has for carry laws in a car. Some allow you to carry loaded in plain sight, some must be unloaded and in the "trunk"...they all vary. All that being said, what's the practical enforcement schtick? When boarded by the Parish Sheriff near Lake Charles, LA, they didn't even ask. For that area, probably a silly question!
True only for safety check (and they can ask about wesapons for officer safety) and customs matters...any search is limited to man sized compartments and they can't expect answers to questions beyond the scope of a safety inspection or voyage log.

If your vessel is tied up or at anchor...I believe there are many cases I have read through the years that upheld 4th amndment rights...searches in general have to be "reasonable and have probable cause".

Here's one I just read that might suprise some people...drinking boater leaves bar with open container..someone reports...local cop and coastie go and board, guy is DUI but case is thrown out because lack of "probable cause"...

At the suppression hearing, the evidence established that Coast Guard Officer Jeffrey Jobczyski and Erie County Detective Daniel Powell, while on patrol at Presque Isle Bay on Lake Erie, were summoned to a bar by one of its employees.   The employee told the officers that some men had just left the bar with an open beer container and boarded a boat known as the Janice Ann. The officers pursued the vessel, stopped it and boarded.   The officers did not observe any erratic or unusual driving nor did the bar employee indicate that any of the men was under the influence.   As Appellee came down the ladder from the “flying bridge”,1 Detective Powell detected an odor of alcohol.   Appellee failed the field sobriety tests and was arrested and charged with boating under the influence.2  Appellee was returned to shore by a waterways conservation officer.   Based on this evidence, the suppression court found that the sole purpose in making the stop was to investigate suspected criminal activity.   Since the officers did not have probable cause or even reasonable suspicion that criminal activity was taking place, the court found the stop and boarding of the boat was unlawful under both the United States and Pennsylvania Constitutions.   We agree with the trial court that the stop and boarding of the Janice Ann violated Article 1 § 8 of the Pennsylvania Constitution.   We need not therefore discuss whether the stop violated the United States Constitution.3
Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #31
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
I think there would have been pretty much the same outcome here in FL...IMHO. But only because I can't think of any "open container law" here in FL other than in cars, or on the property of an establishment selling alcohol....as in consuming alcohol outside the establishment in the parking lot. On the other hand...had the witness been the bartender and stated that he had cut off the guy because of inebriation, and saw same guy take the helm of a vessel and leave the dock....and the LEO's caught up with the vessel, boarded, and tested the individual, the DWI/BWI/OWI or DBO would have stood up against a challenge in court. And there is always that possibility that the LEO could have stated that the boat had swerved for no apparent reason, so they did a safety check...and whoops smelled alcohol on the captain's breath and tested him.....that would have more than likely stood the test...just like roadside checks do....en masse.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I think there would have been pretty much the same outcome here in FL...IMHO. But only because I can't think of any "open container law" here in FL other than in cars, or on the property of an establishment selling alcohol....as in consuming alcohol outside the establishment in the parking lot. On the other hand...had the witness been the bartender and stated that he had cut off the guy because of inebriation, and saw same guy take the helm of a vessel and leave the dock....and the LEO's caught up with the vessel, boarded, and tested the individual, the DWI/BWI/OWI or DBO would have stood up against a challenge in court. And there is always that possibility that the LEO could have stated that the boat had swerved for no apparent reason, so they did a safety check...and whoops smelled alcohol on the captain's breath and tested him.....that would have more than likely stood the test...just like roadside checks do....en masse.
My main point was that NO LE authority has the right to an "unreasonable search"...there has to be more and even in the case I posted, the court smelled a rat when the coastie said it was a routine boarding.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #33

I have to ask as a UK citizen living in BC , why do you feel you need to carry firearms on board, I could understand if you were in pirate country [Mexico] or south america but ib US or Canadian water ?this is a genuine question as I do not understand the need.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
I have to ask as a UK citizen living in BC , why do you feel you need to carry firearms on board,
Reasonable question. Speaking only for ourselves we do not carry a firearm in the plane or on the boat or in our vehicle on backcountry trips for protection against other humans. But because of where we live and the remoteness and ruggedness of some of the places we visit by air, water, or road, we carry a firearm for two reasons.

One, and this is particularly true wth the plane, is for bear protection. Not so much in the boat although if one dinghys ashore in remote areas, either to explore, beach comb, fly fish, or give the dog some excercise, an encounter with a bear is a very real possibility. And we have encountered plenty of them over the years in BC and SE Alaska.

Two, and more important, it is a part of our survival equipment. Again, much more of an issue with the plane than with the boat or vehicle.

In our case a shotgun fills the bill most effectively. Carrying a handgun for bear protection, besides being illegal in Canada, is an excercise in futility because a charging bear is so hopped up on adrenaline that a shot that would normally kill it may well have no effect at all, at least not until it reaches you and takes you apart. The one way a handgun is effective against a bear is if you can jam it between his jaws as he bites down on you.

So we do what we were advised many years ago by the Alaska Fish & Game folks and carry the shotgun pictured earlier in this thread which at very close range has tremendous stopping power when loaded with the right kind of shells. I know this from experience, unfortunately.

On the survival side, loaded with a much lighter shell, the shotgun is an effective way to gather small game--- squirrels and such--- in case you are so far out in the bush or out of contact that rescue will be awhile in coming.

And a shotgun is legal to possess in the two countries we frequent.

The two photos below were taken by my wife a few weeks ago when we were fishing up the north end of Vancouver Island. She did not use a big telephoto lens, by the way. In the lower shot the bear was about fifteen feet from her. Up there, bears are all over the place. These are black bears and as such are not so much a potential problem although a mother and cubs can be. Brown bears are a somewhat different story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1914767334.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	12183

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1859833847.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	12184
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #35
Guru

City: Pensacola
I am more concerned with the threat of Humans then I am with Bears...
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
I am more concerned with the threat of Humans then I am with Bears...
a shotgun is still a good vessel self defense weapon...it's even a good offensive weapon should you choose...

the boating standard that I'm familiar with is the remington 870 marine magnum.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #37
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
a shotgun is still a good vessel self defense weapon...
There is an old saying: "When seconds count, the police are minutes away". Apply that to a marine situation and we're talking maybe an hour or more.

Look, in my years on the water, both salt and fresh, the boating community I encountered were mostly polite and respectful of their fellow boaters and their craft. I suppose encounters with "hoodlums" on the water are quite rare, but as we progress down this road our society is on I can see those encounters happening more often. Like your PFDs and EPIRB, you may never encounter a situation when you need them, but you have them anyway, just in case. Because when your life is on the line, the Coast Guard or Marine Patrol are an hour away.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #38

Thanks Marin for your reply.I can understand the wildlife/bear cougar answer for BC and Alaska coasts, my next question is do any of the Canadian boats carry firearms, we have always relied on the flare gun but have never actually used it .
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Thanks Marin for your reply.I can understand the wildlife/bear cougar answer for BC and Alaska coasts, my next question is do any of the Canadian boats carry firearms, we have always relied on the flare gun but have never actually used it .
I think you will find that the whole "we carry a weapon to use against people" thing is one of these armchair theory things. While I know there have been incidents of intrusion, boardings, and other such conflicts, I suspect that 99.9999999999999 percent of boaters, at least in US and Canadian waters, have never had an incidence of needing a firearm for personal protection against another person even if they've been boating for decades.

I'm not saying this is a reason not to carry a firearm if one is convinced they are under iminent threat of attack in the marina or on the mooring. Just that I think the threat that is used as the reason for carrying a firearm is mostly in people's imaginations.

In other waters-- Mexico, Central America, SE Asia, etc--- the situation sounds like it is way different. But Joe Boater out for a week's or weekend's cruise in the San Juans or Gulf Islands or along the Maine coast the ICW is not likely to be set upon by hooligans bent on destroying his boat and raping his dog.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #40
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
I wouldn't carry in the US or Canada.If I was headed south,I would be more concerned with thieves,drug runners,smugglers,and pirates.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote