Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 AM   #1

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
We did it - and fitted a heating system as well

Hi Everyone,

Having posted back in 2012 about us becoming liveaboards on our Fleming 55, and installing a heating system for the cold times, we've done both!

We retired, moved the boat from the UK to Beaucette Marina, Guernsey in the Channel Islands (some 100nm south of the UK), installed a Webasto heating system, and have been enjoying every moment since then.

We sold everything (except for family heirlooms which are in storage), we go cruising and take great holidays.

Why didn't we do it before? Many reasons, but one for sure would have been a lack of courage. But the encouragement we received from this forum was really comforting and gave up the 'oomph' to do it.

So, a big thank you to one and all.

Best regards,

Piers and Lin
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I'm envious. You are living the dream, and in a great boat to do it with. However, not all of us are blessed with spouses who share the same dream, so enjoy, and be thankful for each other, and best of luck. Keep us informed. Lotsapics please.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:00 AM   #3

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
I first introduced my wife to boating 25 years ago when I bought a 55mph speedboat. We had small children and whilst I loved hammering and jumping waves, Lin spent her time desperately hanging on for dear life and being ill.

In no time at all Lin was fully turned off boating. It took many years of being gentle and getting larger boats until she would 'endure' family outings again.

Then, one day at the Southampton Boat Show we saw the Fleming. It looked 'gorgeous' and even Lin was attracted to it. We went on board and one of Lin's first comments was that the children couldn't fall off and that she could step off the boat without having to jump.

Years later, we were able to afford one. Lin had agreed to the purchase because it was child friendly and had stabilisers which should help reduce her being sea-sick. She showed great courage.

Despite still not liking boating, I arrange for her to be trained in driving it. She was really good. That was another turning point.

Gradually, by staying a displacement speeds (with stabilisers) Lin's begun to enjoy exploring. That has led to living on board as soon as we retired.

As you say, it's so good that she (now) shares boating and being on board, albeit that one day we will buy a house as well - in our old age!