Old 01-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #41

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Nope, not true.
Yes, it is true. The Name and Hailing port must be unique to document a vessel with the USCG. You can not document a vessel with the same name and hailing port that is already in use. There is not restriction on naming of state-registered vessels.

Marty.........................

EDIT: I may be mistaken, just had to go re-read the UCSG doco requirements and found this statement "There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels." I know that the vessel name and hailing port are required to be displayed. When my boat was documented I was told that they had to be unique. Now I am wondering. oh well, more reading to do I suppose.

MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post

EDIT: I may be mistaken, just had to go re-read the UCSG doco requirements and found this statement "There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels." I know that the vessel name and hailing port are required to be displayed. When my boat was documented I was told that they had to be unique. Now I am wondering. oh well, more reading to do I suppose.
Yes, Marty you picked up on it. Not a requirement. Just they hope it helps them by having hailing port. I just searched several popular names on the USCG site and found quite a few with duplicate name and hailing port. They don't check on registration. They are concerned about the name being too risque and they don't catch it.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Gordon...

Nice to have met you and crew in St Mary's today.

Hope the rest of the trip goes well.

Glad to have helped...please feel free to call if any other questions come up.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Indian River City,Fl
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 41' Defever
We just got here from North Carolina and are going on the hard at West Marine on Tuesday 1/26/2016. may see you around.
I will be posting updates about the trip later.
Thanks to everyone.
Gordo
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:43 PM   #45

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Welcome home.

john
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Way to go, Gordo!! I bet you have some stories to tell.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

What a trip

Well, this is the first chance to post since we got back from Wilmington N.C. The boat is now on the hard a Westland Marine in Titusville Fl.
On the trip down we encountered Wind, Rain, dense fog, Cold, sand bars, debris. Cape Fear River has some wild currents and you have to watch out for trees, yes, trees in the river. We had to wait for the slack tide so we got going about 10 am. We missed our turn to the ICW, found ourselves in the Ocean, and had to turn around.
We encountered and overheat problem on the port engine so I spent the first night changing the impeller. We encountered an overheat problem during the entire trip. The boat has twin Volvos TAMD 41as. We checked and clean the oil cooler, heat exchanger, which seemed fine. If I kept the RPMs down to 1100 or so it ran without overheating. The Oil Pressure got high also.
Anyway, as we traveled we grounded a few times, nothing serious, and hard grounded once. Some places can go from 10 or 11 ft. to 3 ft. in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the battery on my laptop stopped holding a charge so we went with paper charts and the depth finder, which was fine. Smart phone app helped also. The radar came in handy until it quit. Owell, old boat; many issues. Nevertheless, Good old girl; got us home safe.
Probably, the scariest event is when we developed a leak in the shaft seal. My son was on deck and noticed the bilge dumping a lot. When I lifted the hatch there was 4 to 6 inches of water and fast incoming. I waded into bilge got the leak down to a drip. I checked every hour after that.
Overall, it was a good but long trip and unfortunately, we had to push so we could get back to return to work.
Now the fun begins, refit. I will post more later
Gordo
P.S. Thanks to everyone.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon B View Post
We missed our turn to the ICW, found ourselves in the Ocean, and had to turn around.
Boy, have we been there! We actually twice missed a turn of the ICW and wandered out an inlet. The 2nd. time it happened, we said almost in unison: "If it looks like the ocean and it smells like the ocean and it starts to feel like the ocean .... it must be the ocean. Time to turn around."
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
Boy, have we been there! We actually twice missed a turn of the ICW and wandered out an inlet. The 2nd. time it happened, we said almost in unison: "If it looks like the ocean and it smells like the ocean and it starts to feel like the ocean .... it must be the ocean. Time to turn around."
Funny thing is we did the same thing with the same reaction the 2nd time.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #50
Guru

Yes easy to do. With the many rivers, inlets, and intersections on the ICW making a wrong turn is probably somewhat commonplace. But with a chartplotter and some pre-planning it's easy to stay on course and avoid the wrong way Corrigan syndrome.

But even with a plotter mistakes happen. I was in SC on the ICW between I believe Myrtle Beach and Georgetown when I started heading for a daymarker that was marking a separate channel not part of the ICW. The ICW made a turn so the next ICW daymarker was not visible and I just headed for the next day marker I could see. Fortunately it was not shallow there and I glanced at my plotter and saw I was heading in the wrong direction. Had I continued I would have run around before reaching the unintended marker.

Funny thing, just past the bend on the ICW was a marina. The marina owner as he saw me pass called out on the radio in the blind advertising his marina with cheap gas and transit slip space. Never had that happen before. He did not see me almost go to the wrong marker.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote