We did it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations and have a good trip.

I'm Sharon the other half of the new Moonstruck. Gordo wanted me to post an update on the trip from Wilmington, NC to Titusville, Fl. They are having a problem getting wifi. They have had a few mechanical issues, a fuel leak that they fixed and a few other things that they have taken care of. They are tweaking things as they go. She's an old girl so they expected some problems, but she is sturdy. Had to stop early today as wind was blowing 25 with gusts of 35 knots. Gordo says "thanks" for all of the encouragement and he will post more soon.

You guys need to join the DeFever Cruisers, the owners and wannbees club. They have members up and down the coast who may be able to give help and advice.

In fact, if the survey and sale goes to plan on mine in few weeks, I will be planning a late Feb early March get together somewhere in North East FL or East Central FL - perhaps St Augustine or Palm Coast. Just to sponge up info.

I'm Sharon the other half of the new Moonstruck. Gordo wanted me to post an update on the trip from Wilmington, NC to Titusville, Fl. They are having a problem getting wifi. They have had a few mechanical issues, a fuel leak that they fixed and a few other things that they have taken care of. They are tweaking things as they go. She's an old girl so they expected some problems, but she is sturdy. Had to stop early today as wind was blowing 25 with gusts of 35 knots. Gordo says "thanks" for all of the encouragement and he will post more soon.

Wifey B: Thanks for the update Sharon. Glad his trip is going ok.

Hmmm..just thinkin' I really can't see a problem with two boats with the same name, they are different makes too. #1 name for a couple of years was "Island Time" per BoatUS. Anyway this is the US, where many boats have the same name, not Canada where each boat has to have a different name. I'm the other half of the new Moonstruck team and thanks Don for the OK.

Wifey B: If you had four or more boats you could just name them all George. Then you'd sell lots of grills. :D

Hmmm..just thinkin' I really can't see a problem with two boats with the same name, they are different makes too. #1 name for a couple of years was "Island Time" per BoatUS. Anyway this is the US, where many boats have the same name, not Canada where each boat has to have a different name. I'm the other half of the new Moonstruck team and thanks Don for the OK.

I would think it would only be a problem if both usernames were Moonstruck. :) I know it took me a minute when I realized there was a user named CoolBeans and also one called Cool_Beans (if I'm not mistaken).

"Sharon ... not Canada where each boat has to have a different name."

Alas, not so. If your boat is Registered (in the US, read this as Documented) it must have a unique name, hence lots of Island Time #1, #2, #3 etc. But if not Registered, the only thing that has to be unique is your License No. "BC123456" like US non Documented, WA123456, CA123456, etc. So there can be several "Island Time" even in the same marina.

We (my son & son in law) will be leaving Cape Fear river on the slack tide tomorrow 1-8-2016. Thanks to everyone for the help an encouragement. We have spent the last two days doing maintenance and provisioning.
I will post our progress.
Again thanks everyone.:dance:
We left Wrightsville Beach on Dec 5th cruised down the Cape Fear River for Southport. We stopped by the Titusville Marina January 7th and found the marina and slips exposed to winds from the east. We're currently in Vero Beach.

Enjoy the cruise and keep us posted. Be sure and cross the Little Mud River ICW trouble spot in GA on a rising tide.

"Sharon ... not Canada where each boat has to have a different name."

Alas, not so. If your boat is Registered (in the US, read this as Documented) it must have a unique name, hence lots of Island Time #1, #2, #3 etc. But if not Registered, the only thing that has to be unique is your License No. "BC123456" like US non Documented, WA123456, CA123456, etc. So there can be several "Island Time" even in the same marina.

In the US a documented vessel must have a unique name and hailing port and then the vessel documentation number assigned by the USCG. It is the name/hailing port combination that can not be duplicated. So you could have multiple documented vessels in the same marina with the same name, just different hailing ports. For state-registered vessels (not documented) the naming means nothing, only the displayed state registration numbers.

Now, back to the original thread. Congratulations guys, enjoy that boat. We have been live-aboard's for 5 years now and thoroughly love it. And that is a great boat to live aboard.

Marty.........................

In the US a documented vessel must have a unique name and hailing port and then the vessel documentation number assigned by the USCG. It is the name/hailing port combination that can not be duplicated. So you could have multiple documented vessels in the same marina with the same name, just different hailing ports... Marty.........................

Nope, not true.

Nope, not true.

Yes, it is true. The Name and Hailing port must be unique to document a vessel with the USCG. You can not document a vessel with the same name and hailing port that is already in use. There is not restriction on naming of state-registered vessels.

Marty.........................

EDIT: I may be mistaken, just had to go re-read the UCSG doco requirements and found this statement "There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels." I know that the vessel name and hailing port are required to be displayed. When my boat was documented I was told that they had to be unique. Now I am wondering. oh well, more reading to do I suppose.

Last edited:
EDIT: I may be mistaken, just had to go re-read the UCSG doco requirements and found this statement "There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels." I know that the vessel name and hailing port are required to be displayed. When my boat was documented I was told that they had to be unique. Now I am wondering. oh well, more reading to do I suppose.

Yes, Marty you picked up on it. Not a requirement. Just they hope it helps them by having hailing port. I just searched several popular names on the USCG site and found quite a few with duplicate name and hailing port. They don't check on registration. They are concerned about the name being too risque and they don't catch it.

Gordon...

Nice to have met you and crew in St Mary's today.

Hope the rest of the trip goes well.

Glad to have helped...please feel free to call if any other questions come up.

We just got here from North Carolina and are going on the hard at West Marine on Tuesday 1/26/2016. may see you around.
I will be posting updates about the trip later.
Thanks to everyone.
Gordo

Last edited:
Welcome home.

john

Way to go, Gordo!! I bet you have some stories to tell.

What a trip

Well, this is the first chance to post since we got back from Wilmington N.C. The boat is now on the hard a Westland Marine in Titusville Fl.
On the trip down we encountered Wind, Rain, dense fog, Cold, sand bars, debris. Cape Fear River has some wild currents and you have to watch out for trees, yes, trees in the river. We had to wait for the slack tide so we got going about 10 am. We missed our turn to the ICW, found ourselves in the Ocean, and had to turn around.
We encountered and overheat problem on the port engine so I spent the first night changing the impeller. We encountered an overheat problem during the entire trip. The boat has twin Volvos TAMD 41a’s. We checked and clean the oil cooler, heat exchanger, which seemed fine. If I kept the RPM’s down to 1100 or so it ran without overheating. The Oil Pressure got high also.
Anyway, as we traveled we grounded a few times, nothing serious, and hard grounded once. Some places can go from 10 or 11 ft. to 3 ft. in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the battery on my laptop stopped holding a charge so we went with paper charts and the depth finder, which was fine. Smart phone app helped also. The radar came in handy until it quit. O’well, old boat; many issues. Nevertheless, Good old girl; got us home safe.
Probably, the scariest event is when we developed a leak in the shaft seal. My son was on deck and noticed the bilge dumping a lot. When I lifted the hatch there was 4 to 6 inches of water and fast incoming. I waded into bilge got the leak down to a drip. I checked every hour after that.
Overall, it was a good but long trip and unfortunately, we had to push so we could get back to return to work.
Now the fun begins, refit. I will post more later
Gordo
P.S. Thanks to everyone.

We missed our turn to the ICW, found ourselves in the Ocean, and had to turn around.

Boy, have we been there! We actually twice missed a turn of the ICW and wandered out an inlet. The 2nd. time it happened, we said almost in unison: "If it looks like the ocean and it smells like the ocean and it starts to feel like the ocean .... it must be the ocean. Time to turn around."

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, have we been there! We actually twice missed a turn of the ICW and wandered out an inlet. The 2nd. time it happened, we said almost in unison: "If it looks like the ocean and it smells like the ocean and it starts to feel like the ocean .... it must be the ocean. Time to turn around."

Funny thing is we did the same thing with the same reaction the 2nd time.

Yes easy to do. With the many rivers, inlets, and intersections on the ICW making a wrong turn is probably somewhat commonplace. But with a chartplotter and some pre-planning it's easy to stay on course and avoid the wrong way Corrigan syndrome.

But even with a plotter mistakes happen. I was in SC on the ICW between I believe Myrtle Beach and Georgetown when I started heading for a daymarker that was marking a separate channel not part of the ICW. The ICW made a turn so the next ICW daymarker was not visible and I just headed for the next day marker I could see. Fortunately it was not shallow there and I glanced at my plotter and saw I was heading in the wrong direction. Had I continued I would have run around before reaching the unintended marker.

Funny thing, just past the bend on the ICW was a marina. The marina owner as he saw me pass called out on the radio in the blind advertising his marina with cheap gas and transit slip space. Never had that happen before. He did not see me almost go to the wrong marker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom