Old 01-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I admit that it's going to be a bit confusing, Moonstruck, that is...but I wish you the very best on your purchase. (Don, did you authorize this?)
I think it's a great name, and always room for one more. So, welcome aboard.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon B View Post
Hi to all,
We will be heading to S.C. to pick up the boat this week and bring her down the ICW to Titusville Fl. (500 + miles).

I would like to make posts of our progress. Can I post here or should I post on another section in T.F.

I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions and I am so glad to have T.F. and all the great people.

Gordo

p.s. Any and all suggestions gladly accepted.
Gordon, you can post your progress reports here or start a new, dedicated thread with a title to attract the attention of others not following this thread. I think you might find more participation in a dedicated thread in the appropriate section.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #23
Guru

City: gulf coast
There may be boat sales tax advantages to keeping the boat out of FL for six months while work is being done. I know it worked for a friend who had work done in GA.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #24

City: Titusville, Florida
Hmmm..just thinkin' I really can't see a problem with two boats with the same name, they are different makes too. #1 name for a couple of years was "Island Time" per BoatUS. Anyway this is the US, where many boats have the same name, not Canada where each boat has to have a different name. I'm the other half of the new Moonstruck team and thanks Don for the OK.
SharonBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Congratulations Gordon and other.
We are not liveaboards but have been doing a restoration for the last 11 months on 43' Gulf Star. Now Bad Monkey.
My #1 tip is make a list of what you want to achieve for the week.
#2 don't worry if you don't accomplish. Just put the ones you don't do on the list for the following week. (It's your boat you can change priorities or procrastinate if it makes you happy.)
#3 Every time you see something or think "I need to do that" or "that might work" write it down and keep all on a master list.
That's just for starters!
Since you are liveaboards, as Dbltime said safety 1st., but you also need to be happy to come home, so cosmetics are also going to be high on that list I believe. It will help to keep you motivated.
I'm sure you will have a great time with the new member of the family.
Cheers, Stan and Jen
I'm going to give a slight alteration to that, separating current project from future projects.

Make an initial project that can be completed in less than 6 months. Put everything else on future projects. The future project items just list, but detail the current one in terms of order and how much time you think each task will take.

Why like this? One is that we found in business that projects over 6 months long became lifetime projects that never were completed, they just hung over your head. Second you need rewards of accomplishment. Make it short term with detailed tasks and you can track and check off completed items. Finishing the boat is an impossible task. However, something like stripping the wood is one you can do and feel success on. It's also a manageable list vs. an overwhelming one. I'd allow myself some leeway too and build in some cushion. So, I finish my six month project in 4 1/2. Now I just can start the next project.

My first project would be all about getting the boat as usable as possible. It would start with things critical to having it ready to live on.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
There may be boat sales tax advantages to keeping the boat out of FL for six months while work is being done. I know it worked for a friend who had work done in GA.
I believe that would depend upon if a Florida resident or not. Better check it out with the tax collector.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonBee View Post
Hmmm..just thinkin' I really can't see a problem with two boats with the same name, they are different makes too. #1 name for a couple of years was "Island Time" per BoatUS. Anyway this is the US, where many boats have the same name, not Canada where each boat has to have a different name. I'm the other half of the new Moonstruck team and thanks Don for the OK.
2 boats with the same name is no problem. You certainly didn't need any permission. In fact, my Blackfin is also named Moonstruck. You are just showing your good taste.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Indian River City,Fl
Vessel Model: 41' Defever
On our way

We (my son & son in law) will be leaving Cape Fear river on the slack tide tomorrow 1-8-2016. Thanks to everyone for the help an encouragement. We have spent the last two days doing maintenance and provisioning.
I will post our progress.
Again thanks everyone.
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #29

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Have a great trip with the guys! Keep us posted of your progress.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #31
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Congratulations and have a good trip.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #32

City: Titusville, Florida
I'm Sharon the other half of the new Moonstruck. Gordo wanted me to post an update on the trip from Wilmington, NC to Titusville, Fl. They are having a problem getting wifi. They have had a few mechanical issues, a fuel leak that they fixed and a few other things that they have taken care of. They are tweaking things as they go. She's an old girl so they expected some problems, but she is sturdy. Had to stop early today as wind was blowing 25 with gusts of 35 knots. Gordo says "thanks" for all of the encouragement and he will post more soon.
SharonBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #33
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
You guys need to join the DeFever Cruisers, the owners and wannbees club. They have members up and down the coast who may be able to give help and advice.

In fact, if the survey and sale goes to plan on mine in few weeks, I will be planning a late Feb early March get together somewhere in North East FL or East Central FL - perhaps St Augustine or Palm Coast. Just to sponge up info.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I'm Sharon the other half of the new Moonstruck. Gordo wanted me to post an update on the trip from Wilmington, NC to Titusville, Fl. They are having a problem getting wifi. They have had a few mechanical issues, a fuel leak that they fixed and a few other things that they have taken care of. They are tweaking things as they go. She's an old girl so they expected some problems, but she is sturdy. Had to stop early today as wind was blowing 25 with gusts of 35 knots. Gordo says "thanks" for all of the encouragement and he will post more soon.
Wifey B: Thanks for the update Sharon. Glad his trip is going ok.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: If you had four or more boats you could just name them all George. Then you'd sell lots of grills.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #36

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
Quote:
I would think it would only be a problem if both usernames were Moonstruck. I know it took me a minute when I realized there was a user named CoolBeans and also one called Cool_Beans (if I'm not mistaken).
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #37
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Sharon ... not Canada where each boat has to have a different name."

Alas, not so. If your boat is Registered (in the US, read this as Documented) it must have a unique name, hence lots of Island Time #1, #2, #3 etc. But if not Registered, the only thing that has to be unique is your License No. "BC123456" like US non Documented, WA123456, CA123456, etc. So there can be several "Island Time" even in the same marina.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon B View Post
We (my son & son in law) will be leaving Cape Fear river on the slack tide tomorrow 1-8-2016. Thanks to everyone for the help an encouragement. We have spent the last two days doing maintenance and provisioning.
I will post our progress.
Again thanks everyone.
We left Wrightsville Beach on Dec 5th cruised down the Cape Fear River for Southport. We stopped by the Titusville Marina January 7th and found the marina and slips exposed to winds from the east. We're currently in Vero Beach.

Enjoy the cruise and keep us posted. Be sure and cross the Little Mud River ICW trouble spot in GA on a rising tide.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #39

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
"Sharon ... not Canada where each boat has to have a different name."

Alas, not so. If your boat is Registered (in the US, read this as Documented) it must have a unique name, hence lots of Island Time #1, #2, #3 etc. But if not Registered, the only thing that has to be unique is your License No. "BC123456" like US non Documented, WA123456, CA123456, etc. So there can be several "Island Time" even in the same marina.
In the US a documented vessel must have a unique name and hailing port and then the vessel documentation number assigned by the USCG. It is the name/hailing port combination that can not be duplicated. So you could have multiple documented vessels in the same marina with the same name, just different hailing ports. For state-registered vessels (not documented) the naming means nothing, only the displayed state registration numbers.

Now, back to the original thread. Congratulations guys, enjoy that boat. We have been live-aboard's for 5 years now and thoroughly love it. And that is a great boat to live aboard.

Marty.........................
MartySchwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post

In the US a documented vessel must have a unique name and hailing port and then the vessel documentation number assigned by the USCG. It is the name/hailing port combination that can not be duplicated. So you could have multiple documented vessels in the same marina with the same name, just different hailing ports... Marty.........................
Nope, not true.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote