Washing Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
24" Whirlpool washer only. We use it underway same as at the dock. No problems so far.

We had a Splendide washer/dryer. Dryer section does half a washer load and was extremely slow. The clothes line was as fast most of the time. It was smaller than the Whirlpool in depth.

We had a stacked small Maytag set and did laundry while underway frequently without issue. Usually only when the generator was on for other reasons such as AC/ heat, and/or the dishwasher. Our boat was big and stabilized. On occasion I would dry things like beach towels in one of the engine rooms and that worked great too.

Yarradeen, a marina neighbour recently fitted one, on the FB. I`ll try to get details.
If you get a Samsung it might come with a free fire extinguisher:).

My neighbours washing machine is also a Camec and they are happy with it. They report the best price was at the RC Camping website, around $900.

Has anyone used the LG combo washer dryer. I need to replace the Splendide on my Nordhavn, and the yard is recommending an LG
Best,
Maldwin

Maldwin, I know nothing of the combo version, but our LG frontloader at home has been a great success, way better than the Maytag/Hoover which preceded it. How the drum is suspended and driven is important to longevity.

Has anyone used the LG combo washer dryer. I need to replace the Splendide on my Nordhavn, and the yard is recommending an LG
Best,
Maldwin

Haven't used it but have looked and researched and also looked at Miele, which is no longer offered. The productivity of the Miele and now the LG just significantly exceeds that of the Splendide plus LG has a good reputation. I'd personally still try to squeeze in some form of traditional or stackable units, but if going with a combo, I'd choose the LG.

On the AT I have a very limited space for a Splendide. I wonder the Splendide can be a direct swap out.

On the AT I have a very limited space for a Splendide. I wonder the Splendide can be a direct swap out.

From the "interwebs":

Picture orientation below

Splendide
|
|
|
Deco (Home Depot)
|
|
|
LG​

Attachments

• splendide.jpg
    splendide.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 81
  • deco.jpg
    deco.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 102
  • lg.jpg
    lg.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 89
Trying to read that, last section, I think I have gone blind but thanks for the attempt.
A simple Yes or No would have been fine.

We picked up a GE washer and dryer from Home Depot 4 years ago, living aboard full time we use them every week and have worked fine for us. We replaced a stackable unit that was onboard IMG_1888.jpg

Nice units. Likely to fit in my condominium when current units need replacement.

I had a vented Splendide installed last month, and it has performed much better than I expected. As long as I don’t overload it, and keep time expectations reasonable, it is perfect. Sheets and cotton shirts have to be pressed, but they do with a normal washer/dryer.
Best,
Maldwin

Washer honey do

My charming wife wants the vented Splendide taken from the RV and put in boat.:smitten: Only weighs 150 pounds! Will actually go thru starboard door and down to the master closet. There are water inlets and I need to discover the drain and vent arrangements. :banghead:I think since there are hose bibs, the drain is in floor into engine space.:banghead: I don’t want the moisture just venting into engine space. ::banghead:
If you have some spare time, come by and either laugh or help, whichever seems best to you:popcorn:

My charming wife wants the vented Splendide taken from the RV and put in boat.:smitten: Only weighs 150 pounds! Will actually go thru starboard door and down to the master closet. There are water inlets and I need to discover the drain and vent arrangements. :banghead:I think since there are hose bibs, the drain is in floor into engine space.:banghead: I don’t want the moisture just venting into engine space. ::banghead:
If you have some spare time, come by and either laugh or help, whichever seems best to you:popcorn:
Confused as to your drain arrangements. If by into the engine room you mean into the bilge then not a good idea. 11 gallons of soapy water will create a mess and stink. Needs to be plumbed overboard above the water line.

Confused as to your drain arrangements. If by into the engine room you mean into the bilge then not a good idea. 11 gallons of soapy water will create a mess and stink. Needs to be plumbed overboard above the water line.

Where are you at? Love to stop by we are on Paradise Village Puerto Vallarta

I've used asko at home for ever, 16 years or so, the boat also has asko washer dryer, 20 year old, used a lot. Uses little water, spins fast so dryer time is shorter and quite small. Can't say if the brand new models are as good as things change not always for the better

I simply popped a hole in the hull and set up a proper vent for our Spendide.

Uh, yeah. A bit unclear. I left out the details, but venting air out side of engine room and putting water out thru-hull is plan. I think we will not use it much, but when you need it, you need it.

We are Galveston Island boaters. Yeah, yeah, but still have a house and work schedule that allows the 1.5 hour trip from NE Houston. Commute would be more like 3 Hours up in morning.

We installed a vented Spledide in a previous boat. Worked very well. Put thru hull in side of boat above waterline for water drain. Put a large S/S clamshell over the 4” air vent facing aft and down to keep water out of the vent hose. We used it a lot.

Here on t'other side of the pond when we bought our 42' ex hire cruiser we took out the third toilet and found that Candy 4kg machine fitted in (tight squeeze) perfectly, it washes brilliantly and spin dries the clothes well. Our climate here in the South of France mean that drying is rarely a problem.
If we have large things like duvets we take them to the Laundromat, here they have large washers and dryers in the supermarket car parks so its easy to do the laundry while shopping.

I have a Spledide non-vented machine. The previous boat, a vented Spledide. Both wrinkled about the same. On the vented machines, make sure you clean out the exhaust hose once or twice a year. We do not want to hear about your dryer fire, please.

When I buy a boat, after looking in the engineroom for Detroit Diesels, I make sure it has room for a washer, dryer, and dishwasher.

My dish washer sleeps on the other side of my bed.

Old Dan1943, if your missus see's that you'll be doing your washing by hand :hide:

Back
Top Bottom