Washing Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a Majestic combo, that according to the papers, came from Sears. Never have used it but I am curious if anyone else has experience with this brand?

It's actually one of the many labels used by Pinnacle. Lots of mention in the RV forums and sites. The big question, like all combos, is whether it's ventless or vented. That impacts the drying success.

The reviews of service are not very good but I'd try it and see what happens. Test it first with no clothes.

Here's a link to Pinnacle.

Pinnacle Combos

I thought worth mentioning that companies like LG and Haier also make combo units.

Splendide and Pinnacle combo washers. Combo washers such as these are a standard item in apartments and homes in Europe. Does anyone know if Splendide and Pinnacle are just European washers with the electrical requirements changed to be able to run on North American 120 volts?

Splendide and Pinnacle combo washers. Combo washers such as these are a standard item in apartments and homes in Europe. Does anyone know if Splendide and Pinnacle are just European washers with the electrical requirements changed to be able to run on North American 120 volts?

No, they are not European Washers converted, unless you consider Oregon and Texas to be in Europe.

They're both very much used in RV's.

No, they are not European Washers converted, unless you consider Oregon and Texas to be in Europe.

They're both very much used in RV's.

I think my Splendide is sold by Westland in Oregon but is made in Italy - at least a number of the parts I have purchased are made there.

I think my Splendide is sold by Westland in Oregon but is made in Italy - at least a number of the parts I have purchased are made there.

Yes, but it's made as a North American Product. Now, there is very little difference between the North American version and the European version. Just wired for different current.

Westland Sales is the parent company and owner of Splendide.

And you are correct. All their manufacturing is in Italy.

We have a Splendide in our motorhome and had one in a previous boat. They work great if you have a vented model and use it properly. They don't do as large a load as people are used to and so many people overload them and they don't dry if overloaded. You have to keep the load size to the recommended. They will wash more than they will dry. In home units the dryer drums are generally larger than the washer drum. You need to have some empty volume in the drum when drying so the air can circulate. But given that they are 1/2 as big as single units that is a tradeoff that I can live with.

We have a Splendide in our motorhome and had one in a previous boat. They work great if you have a vented model and use it properly. They don't do as large a load as people are used to and so many people overload them and they don't dry if overloaded. You have to keep the load size to the recommended. They will wash more than they will dry. In home units the dryer drums are generally larger than the washer drum. You need to have some empty volume in the drum when drying so the air can circulate. But given that they are 1/2 as big as single units that is a tradeoff that I can live with.

Wifey B: If vented, do well, but caveat is just what you said, don't overload. What I hate is they all put capacity in lbs and I guess there's no better way but I don't know how much my crap weight plus I think some light fluffy things take more space than some heavy. Plus the wash capacity is always more than the dryer and that makes no sense. No point washing it if you can't dry it. So don't fill the washer. One just has to learn how much for the drier but I don't think you can do well putting 11 lbs in like they say. I have no idea how much capacity my dryer at home has in lbs. I just figure on putting about 2/3 of what will fit in a dryer. Guess you just have to practice. Not that I normally do laundry. :eek:

Wifey B

If we are going to use the dryer at anchor (not in the Caribbean) we still load fully for the wash cycle and then run two dryer loads. Saves 11 gallons of water which is one hour of running our watermaker.

Our current boat has a compact model GE washer and GE dryer, quite old. They work, not at 100 per cent though. The on/off switch for the washer is shot and hard to cut on and off, and apparently unavailable and I'm pretty sure the heating element on the dryer is just about shot.

The vented Splendide is just about to win the contest for replacement winner. The idea of one unit doing what two units did is attractive for sure.

Our current boat has a compact model GE washer and GE dryer, quite old. They work, not at 100 per cent though. The on/off switch for the washer is shot and hard to cut on and off, and apparently unavailable and I'm pretty sure the heating element on the dryer is just about shot.

The vented Splendide is just about to win the contest for replacement winner. The idea of one unit doing what two units did is attractive for sure.

Well, if I had the space, I'd still select separate units over combos. A stackable pair will often fit in the same floor space as a combo, just double the height. If you already have the space for both, I wouldn't go combo.

That said, combo will do a decent job for most.

Well, if I had the space, I'd still select separate units over combos. A stackable pair will often fit in the same floor space as a combo, just double the height. If you already have the space for both, I wouldn't go combo.

Question is which is more important to that boating couple, a separate dryer unit or two additional cabinets for storage in the 12 cubic feet of space a dryer takes up.

Question is which is more important to that boating couple, a separate dryer unit or two additional cabinets for storage in the 12 cubic feet of space a dryer takes up.

I have to admit, I have been thinking that I would have a place for my electric pressure washer with a combo in the old space.:)

Why is everyone so concerned about the drier side of things?
Why not just hang them and let sun and air do its thing?

We have a dedicated laundry with seperate washer and drier, but have never used the drier in 12 mths of live aboard.

We have the Splendide vented unit and use the washer all the time. The clothes get hung out to dry. My Tee shirts make it look like I lost some wait since they don't shrink. :lol:

We do use the dryer in the winter. After a shower in the am, we throw our towels in the dryer for 20 minutes. They always smell fresh. :)

Why is everyone so concerned about the drier side of things?
Why not just hang them and let sun and air do its thing?

We have a dedicated laundry with seperate washer and drier, but have never used the drier in 12 mths of live aboard.

Wifey B: It would all blow away? :lol:

Greetings,
Ms. WB. "It would all blow away". I addressed that option in post #2.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Ms. WB. "It would all blow away". I addressed that possibility in post #2. Good grief! Doesn't ANYONE read what I post? Am I on EVERYONE'S ignore list?
1[/IMG]

Wifey B: I read. No undies. I'm good with that. But now are you suggesting naked? Still towels and sheets. Could hang the sheets on one of those tall poles some boats have. :lol:

I'm new to live-aboard (and to boating), and I tend to blend input from more experienced folk with my own research.

i have a 37' Hershine trawler, and at some point I hope to find/make a space for a combo unit.
looking beyonf the marine-specific brands, I'm already set on this LG model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H7HU8I2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=INNCA37HINC2W&colid=2YAVOBH8AAGZW

WAY better than anything I've found except for its larger sibling.

aenlic

I don't live aboard, am not familiar with a 37' Hersine, but I do wear clothes that need to be laundered on occasion....

If you are going to be using the boat primarily as a floating condo (that is not meant disparagingly) you may want to wait a year before you invest in a washer/dryer. A couple reasons....
- Space is a huge consideration in a boat. This is even more true of a boat that is lived on full time. You may find that the space devoted to the W/D is better used with other things.
- The second issue is moisture. Even if the dryer is vented outside, a W/D will add moisture to the inside of the boat. Keeping the inside of the boat dry and sweet during the wet/cool seasons can be a challenge.

If your marina has even half-way decent laundry facilities, you may find that much cheaper and better in the long run.

If you are planning on cruising, then forget everything I said and just think about power and water requirements.

Thanks, Dave. No worries, I'm planning way ahead, and won't get to this upgrade anytime soon. If/when I do, the most likely spot would be on the aft deck.

I'm marina-bound for now, and so far have no plans for even overnight excursions just yet... just identifying possible futures.

Thanks for the input!

aenlic

A washer and dryer can actually reduce moisture on the boat since you can throw towels from showering into the dryer for a quick dry rather than letting the moisture evaporate inside the boat, IF you get a vented dryer so that the moisture is expelled from the boat. Also the vented dryers actually dry the clothes. The ventless one do not do well drying and use more water in order to condense the water out of the wet clothes. We have a vented Splendide in our RV and had one in a previous boat. Love it. Would never even consider a ventless one.

We have lived aboard our Helmsman 38 for over 8 years. We had a Splendide washer/dryer combo unit installed when the boat was built. It does a load of laundry almost every day even when we are at anchor. there are many ways to creatively find space for a unit. The power requirements are quite moderate and it can easily do a load while we charge our batteries. (We generally do not run the dryer, we just hang the clothes). You can adjust the settings so that it uses relatively little water. You will not regret installing one.

Larry M, hi there...I'm about to build the cabinet to house a Splendide washer/dryer and I have the factory measurements but I don't want to buy the unit yet. The cabinet is going to be in the passageway, about 2' off the deck. This unit has 4 legs, or does it sit flat? Also, how much space around the cabinet should I allow for? Once I slide the washer in, there will be removable moulding around all 4 sides to finish it off.
Thx

Steve
Don't forget dimensions for inlet and drain hoses. You may want to consider final work to wait until unit is in real view.

I said this earlier in the post but, I'm really puzzled by the comments made by people who hate the ventless units...
Sure it does not dry as well as a vented unit but you would rather have nothing???
Ours works amazingly well and we run it every day or so.
Most things come out perfectly dry, ocasionally we hang something for an additional hour of drying on a hangar.
Considering that on our sailboat we used one of these,

https://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Alternative-Wonderwash-Non-electric-Portable/dp/B002C8HR9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502626893&sr=8-1&keywords=Hand+powered+washing+machine

and we were happy to have that, we love our Splendide, ventless and all.
Bruce

What does the joinery around a ventless unit look like after a few years? On a new build surprised AT couldn't figure out a vent hose route.

Sunchaser, I have plenty of room for the inlet and drain hoses behind the unit box...I can actually fit in there, plus the vent is going out the side of the main cabin. I must form the cabinet "box" that the unit will sit in now, however, because of other design concerns. So I need the dimensions of the unit if anybody has them.

What does the joinery around a ventless unit look like after a few years? On a new build surprised AT couldn't figure out a vent hose route.

Why?
It is ventless, there is nothing to impact the joinery...
Not sure what you are getting at.
I'm sure they could have if it were important enough but it was not. It works great.
Bruce

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom