Old 05-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #21

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
With our combo Splendide we have only one appliance. Thus we have an 12 cubic feet of storage space that would otherwise be used by the dryer. In this space we have built two cabinets. One above the washer and one below. In these we are able to store all of our cleaning supplies both for the boat and the clothes..
We had an older Splendide non-vented on our boat deck. It had a rusty top but still worked. Just threw it in the dump. Small, small loads, dryer useless. Will use marina facilities when cruising. Love the additional space we now have.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We have the Splendide 2100XC vented. We love it. Great when you are away from civilization.

NEW Splendide 2100XC (WD2100XC) washer-dryer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4878.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	64758  

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #23

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
We also have a Splendide vented. However for drying we have a couple clotheslines in the flybridge.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #24

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We have a vented Splendide. It has run a load just about every single day for 8+ years now. We seldom run the dryer, preferring to hang cloths in our sun room. i could not imagine being full time cruisers without it. No lugging laundry, no waiting for the wash to be doe, no fighting for machines. We have to run the generator once a day at anchor to charge the batteries, and so doing laundry at the same time requires no additional generator time.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
We have a vented Splendide. It has run a load just about every single day for 8+ years now. We seldom run the dryer, preferring to hang cloths in our sun room. i could not imagine being full time cruisers without it. No lugging laundry, no waiting for the wash to be doe, no fighting for machines. We have to run the generator once a day at anchor to charge the batteries, and so doing laundry at the same time requires no additional generator time.
You pointed to a very important tip too. Run a load every day. You have less capacity than at your land home so are forced to run smaller loads and the answer is simple, run more loads and don't let it accumulate.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You pointed to a very important tip too. Run a load every day. You have less capacity than at your land home so are forced to run smaller loads and the answer is simple, run more loads and don't let it accumulate.
Yup Yup Yup!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #27
Guru

Oh, and the Miele I touted so that was faster and handled more volume than the Splendide...as far as I can tell, they appear to have dropped it from their line.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #28

City: Moving north towards the Chesapeake for the summer
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
We have a standard Sears apartment stacked washer/dryer. We run it with the generator or when at the dock. Works great.
HenryD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
We have a standard Sears apartment stacked washer/dryer. We run it with the generator or when at the dock. Works great.
We have Miele slim stacked on the boat we're on, but some people don't even the space for that. In their case the Splendide vented is great. Also, we have more people aboard and more laundry. Two people can do great with the combo Splendide unit.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #30

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
We have a Majestic combo, that according to the papers, came from Sears. Never have used it but I am curious if anyone else has experience with this brand?
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
We have a Majestic combo, that according to the papers, came from Sears. Never have used it but I am curious if anyone else has experience with this brand?
It's actually one of the many labels used by Pinnacle. Lots of mention in the RV forums and sites. The big question, like all combos, is whether it's ventless or vented. That impacts the drying success.

The reviews of service are not very good but I'd try it and see what happens. Test it first with no clothes.

Here's a link to Pinnacle.

Pinnacle Combos

I thought worth mentioning that companies like LG and Haier also make combo units.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Splendide and Pinnacle combo washers. Combo washers such as these are a standard item in apartments and homes in Europe. Does anyone know if Splendide and Pinnacle are just European washers with the electrical requirements changed to be able to run on North American 120 volts?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Splendide and Pinnacle combo washers. Combo washers such as these are a standard item in apartments and homes in Europe. Does anyone know if Splendide and Pinnacle are just European washers with the electrical requirements changed to be able to run on North American 120 volts?
No, they are not European Washers converted, unless you consider Oregon and Texas to be in Europe.

They're both very much used in RV's.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No, they are not European Washers converted, unless you consider Oregon and Texas to be in Europe.

They're both very much used in RV's.
I think my Splendide is sold by Westland in Oregon but is made in Italy - at least a number of the parts I have purchased are made there.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
I think my Splendide is sold by Westland in Oregon but is made in Italy - at least a number of the parts I have purchased are made there.
Yes, but it's made as a North American Product. Now, there is very little difference between the North American version and the European version. Just wired for different current.

Westland Sales is the parent company and owner of Splendide.

And you are correct. All their manufacturing is in Italy.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #36

City: Au Gres
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We have a Splendide in our motorhome and had one in a previous boat. They work great if you have a vented model and use it properly. They don't do as large a load as people are used to and so many people overload them and they don't dry if overloaded. You have to keep the load size to the recommended. They will wash more than they will dry. In home units the dryer drums are generally larger than the washer drum. You need to have some empty volume in the drum when drying so the air can circulate. But given that they are 1/2 as big as single units that is a tradeoff that I can live with.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have a Splendide in our motorhome and had one in a previous boat. They work great if you have a vented model and use it properly. They don't do as large a load as people are used to and so many people overload them and they don't dry if overloaded. You have to keep the load size to the recommended. They will wash more than they will dry. In home units the dryer drums are generally larger than the washer drum. You need to have some empty volume in the drum when drying so the air can circulate. But given that they are 1/2 as big as single units that is a tradeoff that I can live with.
Wifey B: If vented, do well, but caveat is just what you said, don't overload. What I hate is they all put capacity in lbs and I guess there's no better way but I don't know how much my crap weight plus I think some light fluffy things take more space than some heavy. Plus the wash capacity is always more than the dryer and that makes no sense. No point washing it if you can't dry it. So don't fill the washer. One just has to learn how much for the drier but I don't think you can do well putting 11 lbs in like they say. I have no idea how much capacity my dryer at home has in lbs. I just figure on putting about 2/3 of what will fit in a dryer. Guess you just have to practice. Not that I normally do laundry.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #38
TF Site Team

Wifey B

If we are going to use the dryer at anchor (not in the Caribbean) we still load fully for the wash cycle and then run two dryer loads. Saves 11 gallons of water which is one hour of running our watermaker.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #39

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Our current boat has a compact model GE washer and GE dryer, quite old. They work, not at 100 per cent though. The on/off switch for the washer is shot and hard to cut on and off, and apparently unavailable and I'm pretty sure the heating element on the dryer is just about shot.

The vented Splendide is just about to win the contest for replacement winner. The idea of one unit doing what two units did is attractive for sure.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Our current boat has a compact model GE washer and GE dryer, quite old. They work, not at 100 per cent though. The on/off switch for the washer is shot and hard to cut on and off, and apparently unavailable and I'm pretty sure the heating element on the dryer is just about shot.

The vented Splendide is just about to win the contest for replacement winner. The idea of one unit doing what two units did is attractive for sure.
Well, if I had the space, I'd still select separate units over combos. A stackable pair will often fit in the same floor space as a combo, just double the height. If you already have the space for both, I wouldn't go combo.

That said, combo will do a decent job for most.