Old 12-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
There is really no performance difference between the vented and non-vented models.

The difference is in how much added moisture goes into your interior.
The ventless models condense the moisture out of the clothes and dump the water overboard- not into the vessel interior.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
On a previous boat, I had a Splendide washer/dryer that vented into the engine room. Never did think that was a great idea.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
We have had a Splendide non vented model going on 10 years, with lots of use. I would not go with the unvented model unless absolutely neccessary, they dry really slow. The only problem we've had was the over voltage device exploded, lightning probably, causing the unit not to work. Bypassed the thing and it works fine now. I will install a new lightning arrestor someday, maybe. Other than that it has been stone cold reliable. It wont work on a square wave inverter.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #24

City: Isleton, CA
Vessel Name: Jim'N'I III
Vessel Model: 1990 Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
Thanks to everyone who replied, great info. It turns out we really lucked, after reading your info and actually talking to the manufacturer, we chose to go with a new vented model. Our boat had a Splendide that was factory-installed, and
Sea Ray installed a vented model, so we did have a re-usable vent! We're moving aboard right after Christmas, and now we'll be able to wash our duds, at least the small ones!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdboater View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied, great info. It turns out we really lucked, after reading your info and actually talking to the manufacturer, we chose to go with a new vented model. Our boat had a Splendide that was factory-installed, and
Sea Ray installed a vented model, so we did have a re-usable vent! We're moving aboard right after Christmas, and now we'll be able to wash our duds, at least the small ones!
Given space limitations, I think you have the best approach possible.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Ya know, if I was ever able to talk the First Mate into moving aboard- I would also encourage her to limit our clothing to three pair of shorts, three sets of underwear, NO socks and three shirts. One shirt with buttons for those "special occasions". Two towels with matching washcloths. And that's about it! But I'm pretty sure NONE of this is ever gonna happen
Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #27

Forklift: I read your response to washer/dryer combo and really cracked up. Great sense of humor. My captain has no limitations on how many undies are on board. If I was limited to 3, our house would not be for sale right now. If you want your first mate to live aboard your attitude should be 'Unlimited Undies'...we will buy a Splendide Honey!
Hope you both "take the plunge" some day. I will let you all know how the Splendide handles "THE Undies" . SuziQ...1st Mate, McDowell
suziq224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Thanks for the great advice SuzieQ and keep us posted!!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
I have a Haier HWD1600 non vented combo. I put it in my boat about 3 years ago. I absolutely love the unit for about 6 months at a time. It washes and dries about 12 pounds of clothes in a little over two hours. I do a wash just about every day. About every six months the condenser gets clogged with lint and it quits drying. After five times of removing and cleaning the condenser I have it down pretty well to about an hour operation. As far as I can tell all the combo units out there that use condensing to dry have the same problem. There simply is no lint filter. The designs expect the lint to wash out with condensing water and be pumped to drain. In time this does not happen. Just finished cleaning my condenser last week. Love the machine.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We have had two Splendide units over 15 years. Love them.

If you are planning on getting one, or already have one, pay attention to your inverter. Many of the lower wattage inverters, approximately 2000 watts, do not have the peak capacity to start the Splendide motor. The 2,800 Magnum and the 3000 watt Victron do.

The momentary draw and the total draw over the 80 minute regular wash cycle are low enough that a wash cycle is very doable on an inverter.