Old 11-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

City: The Villages
washer dryer

We are looking to install a washer and dryer aboard our boat. We live on the boat full time and are just tired of laundromats. Unfortunately the location in the boat that is already setup for a washer/dryer combo is pretty much inaccessible due to the extremely narrow hallway leading to the stateroom where the space is located. We can't use the over/under units so we are limited to the combo units. I am not reading great reviews about the combos. Apparently they are good at washing but not so good at drying your clothes. Does anyone have experience with the combos or any advice based upon the washer and dryer you are using.

jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard. We have had 3 Splendide combo units in various boats and an RV. The vented model is very good IF you use it properly. The household dryers have a drum that is about 2 times as big as the washer drum. The combo uses the same drum obviously so it is the same size as the washer drum. If you fill the drum full for the wash, it will never dry because there is no room for air to circulate through the clothes. If you load it properly, per the directions, it will wash and dry in about 3 hours. Sure it will not be as large a load as a household machine, but you donít have to lug the clothes up and down the dock to say nothing about sitting around in the laundramat waiting on them to wash and dry. Also, you donít know what was washed in the laundromat machines before you... We think the downsides are certainly worth not having to do the laundry off the boat.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Everything Como says and the Splendide have an excellent reputation. However, there are several regular manufacturers now making combo units and many of those are faster and higher volume than the Splendide.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I've got a Spendide vented unit. It washes and dries very well, albeit the drying time is 90 minutes or more.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome. Do a search of the forum and you will find lots of info.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
On our second Spendide on Blue Sky. The first one died after about 15 years, and even then it was still washing clothes fine, but the dryer gave up. Ours is vented, and takes three hours or so to dry. The good feature of the combo is that once you push the start button you can forget it until it's done. The key is to only fill it to 3/4 full.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
I had a combo unit for years and it is not really supposed to dry. It just spins as much water out of the clothes as possible so when you hang them on a rack they dry quickly. This it did rather mediocre.

Then we bought a separate dryer unit but it was the condenser (unvented) type. It pulled a bit more water out of the clothes but since it does not provide heat, it too was only slightly less mediocre.

I would never buy another of either type. A suggestion would be to spend your money on a high quality A+++ rated digital inverter washer. Not only save you water but you can run them off a 600 watt inverter. With excellent spin performance you'll still need to hang your clothes, but for less time.

You also may be able to get creative to figure out how to reach the original spot for your washer dryer, or check the European websites for washer and dryers that are narrower. European units are typically 600mm wide (2 ft) but you may be able to find a tiny 18" unit also. Them Europeans are tight on space over there!
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 AM   #8
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I had a combo unit for years and it is not really supposed to dry. It just spins as much water out of the clothes as possible so when you hang them on a rack they dry quickly. This it did rather mediocre.

Then we bought a separate dryer unit but it was the condenser (unvented) type. It pulled a bit more water out of the clothes but since it does not provide heat, it too was only slightly less mediocre.

I would never buy another of either type. A suggestion would be to spend your money on a high quality A+++ rated digital inverter washer. Not only save you water but you can run them off a 600 watt inverter. With excellent spin performance you'll still need to hang your clothes, but for less time.

You also may be able to get creative to figure out how to reach the original spot for your washer dryer, or check the European websites for washer and dryers that are narrower. European units are typically 600mm wide (2 ft) but you may be able to find a tiny 18" unit also. Them Europeans are tight on space over there!

I donít know how you used yours, but ours would dry the clothes completely, it would take more time than a home unit, but they would dry completely since ours were vented combos.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:45 AM   #9
Guru

washer dryer

Yes I agree vented combos would be better. Mine were always unvented. Vented units are rare to find over here
Old 11-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Very happy with my vented Splendide. You need to develop the discipline of doing laundry as soon as you have enough for a normal load. Better to do 2 small loads than one over size.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Very happy with my vented Splendide. You need to develop the discipline of doing laundry as soon as you have enough for a normal load. Better to do 2 small loads than one over size.

Ted
It's actually better to do that at home on your full size equipment too. Better for the equipment, better for the clothes, and time effective. Not as negative cost wise either as people might think.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
How much water on average do the combo units use? Does the grey water go overboard or is it plumbed into your holding tank?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Guru

You have to read the specs - everything is online. But I highly recommend that you spend the extra money for an A+++ instead of an A++ as I recall a difference in energy and water consumption
Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
How much water on average do the combo units use? Does the grey water go overboard or is it plumbed into your holding tank?
We have the Spendide vented unit and the specs. say 7.5 to 16 gallons/hr. The cycle Lena uses takes ~12 gallons.

The gray water goes over the side.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We have the Spendide vented unit and the specs. say 7.5 to 16 gallons/hr. The cycle Lena uses takes ~12 gallons.

The gray water goes over the side.
Same for our boat.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #16

City: North Vancouver
I have had my Splendide combo on my boat for 15 years. The drying is indeed slow, but use small loads more often and you can walk away and return and the load is washed and dried. Its about the only alternative. Why they cost so much, I don't know, but I would not be without mine.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #17

City: Chester, CT
Vessel Name: Aqualund
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic
I have one with little of no usage that came on my GB42 I will sell.
I never used it so can't actually answer your question on performance.
If you get good feed back then maybe my unit would work for you.
Aqualund1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
I'm another Splendide happy customer. Love it. Just put the clothes in, push the button and they come out dry in about 3 hours. Super easy and if I had to go to laundromat, I'd never wash my clothes.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #19

City: New Jersey
Vessel Name: Onward
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualund1981 View Post
I have one with little of no usage that came on my GB42 I will sell.
I never used it so can't actually answer your question on performance.
If you get good feed back then maybe my unit would work for you.
If Aqualund wants to sell his washing machine please contact me, in NJ at 732-233-2928 Jim
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Amapola came with an apartment sized washer & dryer. It took forever to dry the clothes and used a lot of power so we took it out. I use the washer and hang the clothes out to dry on lines my husband puts up for me. They dry quickly in the sun and breeze. We may look like the Beverly Hillbillies for a few hours but who cares! We're usually in a quiet anchorage.

amapola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dryer, laundry, washer, washing clothes