washer dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the real criteria is “what fits”. It usually begins and ends there.

But if you have a choice

-unvented is better than a laundromat.

- vented is better than unvented

- apartment size separate units are better than a combo unit.

- full size units are better than apartment sized units.

My research backs this up. I would add that 24” vented stackables are better than 24” laundry center models, which I think is exactly what twisted said but he used the term separate and combo.

My two cents: We own a Spledide, vented, and we are very happy with it. My experience is take the wash load out and dry things a few at a time for no wrinkles.

I have splendie non vented and just take the clothes out and drape them over things for a few hours and they are dry.

The trick is to change your expectations. Do not expect fully dry clothes. Expect to have to hang your close for a bit, and you will be happy.

I have splendie non vented and just take the clothes out and drape them over things for a few hours and they are dry.

The trick is to change your expectations. Do not expect fully dry clothes. Expect to have to hang your close for a bit, and you will be happy.

Why don’t you add a vent and change over to a vented unit? I saw an article on Bayliners Owners board about how someone added a vent on a 4788. I think you would like the difference. We really like our vented Splendide.

Bay Pelicans vented Splendide had an identical installation as Hobo has.

One thing that has been missing in this discussion is the voltage of the various units, important for the North American boats. Combo units come are generally 120 volts while the residential units are 240 volts. For a boat that generally does not anchor and thus is on shore power whenever the washer is used this is a non-issue. At anchor the voltage is important in terms of generator run time. For those North American boats with a 120 volt inverter the combo unit can be run off the inverter in the wash cycle. Then if the dry cycle is used the generator can be run for the dry time thus recharging the batteries. On flat water we even ran the wash cycle underway. A 240 volt unit would require the generator to be on during both cycles.

Our boat was designed for a Bosch washer and dryer. In the morning when charging batteries and getting ready to lift anchor the washer (can) go on. Wash time about 35 minutes. Clothes stay in washer. The Bosch spin cycle really wrings them out.

In the evening when ready to do dinner, genset goes on for about 45 minutes and batteries topped up, we're fed and clothes dry. Heavy towels and jeans can go in the ER (hot after a day's run) where we have good and easily accessible hanging space.

Our vessel easily accommodates clothes washing and drying. For live aboards or serious cruisers, how you handle your laundry seems quite dependent upon vessel design.

So I spent most of 2018 aboard. I had space to install a washer/dryer combo unit if I wanted to give up some drawers (it was a factor option that my boat did not come with). I was going to have one installed but then read about load limitations, long drying times, etc. On my 4,000 miles of cruising, I found most marinas had a washer and dryer that was available to use (if not multiple). I kept approximately 3 weeks worth of clean clothes so would only have to do laundry approximately once a month. Another concern was with my dog that sheds, we change sheets etc regularly and I didnt know how a combo unit would handle large sheets, blanket, and lots of dog hair. I got lucky some times and landed at marinas that had multiple machines or a laundry nearby. Looking back I am content without having a wash/dryer. It is much easier to just do a few loads of laundry every few weeks in a real washer/dryer. One less thing to maintain, winterize, etc.

Looking back I am content without having a wash/dryer. It is much easier to just do a few loads of laundry every few weeks in a real washer/dryer. One less thing to maintain, winterize, etc.

For us, just the opposite. Our onboard washer and 220 volt dryer make the cruising lifestyle, especially with guests, a real pleasure. We intentionally selected a vessel that could accommodate our needs, clean clothes being one.

Winterization? We chose to avoid those boating locales.

On our 420AC I relocated our W/D from the "laundry room" and moved it into a custom cabinet in the salon. The laundry room became a third bedroom.

We debated betting rid of the W/D when we converted but ultimately decided we might as well keep it. This past New Years day, while on a 8 hour trip back to our home port we were able to do all the laundry that we had on the boat as well as wash the sheets for the three beds. It makes cleaning up the boat before heading home a lot easier.

Splendid, vented. Used it this past Summer when traveling. I should have read the directions more carefully. Now I know why the clothes were never dry.

If you have room, it's better to have a separate dryer. With the small loads in a compact washer, I almost always run more than one wash load. Without a separate dryer, washing is an all day function. In port on shore power, not a big deal. But running or on the hook. without using the dryer, I'm running a generator half a day or more, just for washing.

The new Splendide vented comboworks great ! Installed 6 mo ago and works great cloths come out dry very quiet indeed very happy about a grand less on sale

The new Splendide vented comboworks great ! Installed 6 mo ago and works great cloths come out dry very quiet indeed very happy about a grand less on sale

What is the model #?

I was originally bummed that my ST44 didnt come with a washer/dryer but given how much time we spend aboard, I like the extra storage space and have had no problem using marina washer/dryers. In fact, its a lot easier to do multiple loads at once every few weeks versus running a little unit constantly. I also dont know how well dog hair would play in the combo unit but perhaps the vented version would be better.

What is the model #?

I was originally bummed that my ST44 didnt come with a washer/dryer but given how much time we spend aboard, I like the extra storage space and have had no problem using marina washer/dryers. In fact, its a lot easier to do multiple loads at once every few weeks versus running a little unit constantly. I also dont know how well dog hair would play in the combo unit but perhaps the vented version would be better.

Wifey B: I would not try washing the dog in the Splendide. :rofl:

The vented unit would handle dog hair just like any other washer and dryer. If you're happy using marina laundromat, then fine. I don't choose to use a laundromat at home and not going to when cruising. I'd personally rather run a small unit daily than take my clothes up a hill and who knows where and wash in equipment I don't know. :)

Wifey B: I would not try washing the dog in the Splendide. :rofl:

The vented unit would handle dog hair just like any other washer and dryer. If you're happy using marina laundromat, then fine. I don't choose to use a laundromat at home and not going to when cruising. I'd personally rather run a small unit daily than take my clothes up a hill and who knows where and wash in equipment I don't know. :)

i dont think there was / is a vented unit option on the ST44 but now that i see the vented: NEW Splendide 2100XC (WD2100XC) washer-dryer i think i want one, maybe on the next boat though

I have a "terminology" question. I have the Splendide unit and there is a vent hose which goes under the floor to a lint trap as shown. Do I have a "vented" dryer because it has a vent hose and trap or would this be "unvented" because it doesn't vent outside the boat?

I am also concerned about how much moisture is being sent to the trap as this bilge area also houses the Vacuflush unit, the water heater and the salon AC unit. I can't be good to have all that water vapor in that small space with the equipment. How do you deal with this?

Attachments

• Lint Trap.jpg
    Lint Trap.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 83
The vented model has a large (about 4”) vent hose to expel the hot moist air similar to a home dryer. The moist air is best to be vented out of the boat. I put a 4” clamshell over the dryer vent in the side of the boat.

If you have room, it's better to have a separate dryer. With the small loads in a compact washer, I almost always run more than one wash load. Without a separate dryer, washing is an all day function. In port on shore power, not a big deal. But running or on the hook. without using the dryer, I'm running a generator half a day or more, just for washing.

We agree, if you have the room, a small stacked set is wonderful. We had Maytags but there are many others. Being able to dry one load while doing another was great. We lived aboard and cruised full time and like having clean linens and clothes. We swim and go to the beach a lot as well. Even after we "swallowed the anchor" and had a permanent marina base, becoming weekend and vacation cruisers, it was great not to have to schlep laundry up the dock and back.

Wifey B: I would not try washing the dog in the Splendide.

My little LG washed the cat just fine! Little critter jumped in there when no one was looking. Thank God my daughter heard the bang bang bang and turned the unit off.

Cat never jumped in there again :)

I recently saw an LG Washer/Dryer fitted to a boat. Current owner had not used it in 5 years since buying from the commissioning owner, so could not vouch for performance.
We have a LG front load machine at home, entering it`s tenth year. Touch wood, still performing well,so a brand worth considering.

We had a vented Splendide in a previous boat and in our RV. Wish we had room in our current boat for one. We used it all the time. My wife does not really like lugging dirty clothes back and forth to the laundry facility. I can’t imagine having one onboard and not using it if we were cruising.

Don't see ANY appeal to using a laundromat. Reminds me of college days when we didn't have a pot to piss in.

Just going to and from a laundromat is miserable.... and waiting for clothes to wash and dry is worse than a root canal. And half of the laundrymats you got to, even at nice marinas are: either over crowded, has something that doesn't work, stinks or worse.

Don't care what it takes to have an on board washer/drying.... it's a necessity.

Don't see ANY appeal to using a laundromat. Reminds me of college days when we didn't have a pot to piss in.

Just going to and from a laundromat is miserable.... and waiting for clothes to wash and dry is worse than a root canal. And half of the laundrymats you got to, even at nice marinas are: either over crowded, has something that doesn't work, stinks or worse.

Don't care what it takes to have an on board washer/drying.... it's a necessity.

I didn't go to college but I did have a window to piss out of. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom