Old 03-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Smile 7 Month Update - Disembarking

It's been 7 months since we moved aboard the Mainship 37 M/Y, and we've decided that living aboard is just not for us right now.

It wasn't that we were living in tight spaces, or even the maintenance required, it is that "living there" thing. It's like visiting Disney World, and then moving there. Once you live there, there's no more magic to the place. We've been on board since August 11th, and we haven't left the slip once. Not ONCE! So we've decided to move the boat to a marina that also has condo's. We'll remain on the boat and get on a waiting list for a condo, and once one opens up we'll be moving back to land. The perk is that if you rent a condo, your boat slip is 50% off. Once we move back to land, we'll start looking for another weekend boat. Something like the Chris Craft Commander 31 that I had, or one of those nifty little Albin Family Cruisers.

The live-aboard life is a lot of fun, dock neighbors are great, being on the water is very relaxing, but until you're retired or have a work schedule that allows you to boat at your leisure, you're kinda stuck at the dock - which is what we are. And its very hard to pack up your entire house for just a day or two or three of boating.

So that's it. C'est La Vie. We came, we tried, we experienced.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Sorry to hear it did not work out. If I recall correctly, you have been renting the boat, right?

Cheers,
Pea
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Sorry to hear it did not work out. If I recall correctly, you have been renting the boat, right?

Cheers,
Pea
Yes, we've only been leasing it. Once we move off of it we'll pay to have it cleaned, compounded, and waxed so that the owner can put it back on the market.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Great Plan! Living on land you will really appreciate the time you get to be out on the boat. We had an Albin27 and enjoyed cruising on it alot. The beauty part about having a land base is you only need boat stuff on the boat. Cheers JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
As you said, you tried and it didn't work out. That's a much better result than sitting on the couch and wishing you tried but never gave it a go. Best of luck in your transition back to land.

John
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
.............The live-aboard life is a lot of fun, dock neighbors are great, being on the water is very relaxing, but until you're retired or have a work schedule that allows you to boat at your leisure, you're kinda stuck at the dock - which is what we are. And its very hard to pack up your entire house for just a day or two or three of boating.

So that's it. C'est La Vie. We came, we tried, we experienced.
That's why so many live aboard boats belonging to working folks are dock queens. I've done it twice and that's what happened both times. It doesn't take too long before the only cruises are to the haulout for maintenance.
Portage_Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Rather than buy a boat once you are in a condo, consider just renting them when you want to go out for the day or a vacation. For people with limited time off, it often turns out to be much cheaper, less time consuming and infinitely less hassle. We did that for years and it was a lot of fun. The bonus being you can rent a variety of boats to fit the objective of the day or week, and explore a wide variety of cruising grounds.
For example, when we lived in Dallas, we'd often rent a runabout of some kind for a day of motoring or tubing on one of the area reservoirs, or to go fishing down on the Gulf, or rent a trawler to explore the San Juan Islands or Florida or Maine, or any number of places in the USA. When done with the fun, you toss them the keys and off you run back home.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #8

City: Kiln,MS
Smart way of finding out if you would like it or not.

another boat to look at is the tollycraft 30 sport cruiser. its one of the ones i'm looking at buying when i get my second house sold.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Toocoys,

Sounds like you did an excellent job of trying the live aboard style. Rent the boat and slip and if things don't work out, you don't have to mess with selling.

Renting or joining a boat club has it's goods and bads. If you end up in a condo at a marina, I could argue strongly to own your own. Get what suits you and answer to no one. Unless, perhaps they have the perfect rental at the marina, which is very unlikely.

I'm also not a live a board person. The Loop trip was even too much on the boat at one time, and when I repeat it, I'll likely take more trips back home for other activities and a break.

Best of luck!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
My girl and I spend a lot of time on our 38, but living aboard full time is not for us and we know it. Longest on the boat has been a month. But when we get back it is nice to have the dirt house. In our use pattern the boat stays a boat and the house stays a house. And the boat is away from the dock for little local runs at least once a week.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Sounds like you did things right.

We would also never be full time live aboards. Love the time aboard, but after a few weeks it’s nice to get on land and do other things. Then repeat..
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The happiest live aboards we know seem to fall into two categories. One, the nearby shore locations are wonderful and can be accessed by foot. Sea smart people abound and create a near fairy tale ambiance. Two, the boat is owned and on the move all the time visiting great places and staying for a week, month or season.

I would get no joy out of living on a rental boat where pride of ownership and doing chores serves no purpose. Understandable to me as to why OP bailed out.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Congratulations on your experience and resolve to change. I think it's great to try something like that, but have the awareness to recognize something dosen't work for you and make an appropriate change before you end up in divorce court.

I don't think I could be a live aboard either. Like to do the big cruises but need a home base to decompress at. Sort of see my boat as the warship that goes out for a cruise and then needs to be throughly gone over (without my personal stuff in the way) in preparation for the next adventure. Just don't think I would be as motivated to do work on the boat if I lived on it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Depends on just how deep you are willing to simplify life.

There is a huge feeling of relief when you are down to just the bare minimum and can easily afford it and what else you want to do. Why do you think many pretty sharp people choose homelessness?

Of course money they say is a great simplify-er when it is never an issue for your lifestyle, no matter how simple or complex.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #15
Guru

City: Vermont
What were the things that kept you at the dock rather than using the boat?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Depends on just how deep you are willing to simplify life.

There is a huge feeling of relief when you are down to just the bare minimum and can easily afford it and what else you want to do. Why do you think many pretty sharp people choose homelessness?

Of course money they say is a great simplify-er when it is never an issue for your lifestyle, no matter how simple or complex.
We lived in our RV for 2.5 years and went from 2 storage units to only half of a 10x10 before moving aboard so we’ve simplified a lot.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What were the things that kept you at the dock rather than using the boat?
Mostly work and weather. We can only boat every other weekend because of my work schedule. And when you live aboard, it’s not like throwing the ropes off and going for a short cruise. This has to come off the counter, that has to be secured, this has to be moved so it doesn’t slide around. And one of the biggest issues is that I absolutely hate Hate HATE not being able to shit on my boat. We need to update the holding tank and head pumps and even then I’d be scared to flush toilet paper.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #18
Guru

Not necessarily true...3 liveaboards and all have been kept so I could be underway in minutes and ready for heavy weather withing 30 or so. D3epends how you store stuff day to day...my rule is everything has a place that would work underway and it needs to be there most of the time.

The exception is when projects are underway....

THAT's the benefit of living aboard...being able to use your boat MORE not LESS.

I know other liveaboards who always kept it that way too.

I used my liveaboard in Annapolis, MD several times a month all year long just to keep her running well...it worked as the engines at 27 years old were still performing at peak.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

I'm also not a live a board person. The Loop trip was even too much on the boat at one time, and when I repeat it, I'll likely take more trips back home for other activities and a break.

Best of luck!
Wifey B: We've found our comfy levels are 6 wks on, occasionally stretched to 8, followed by 3 weeks at home. Repeat often.

We just have a life at home and friends and family and things to do.

I think this was a very predictable outcome and toocoys went in with a good idea of what was going to happen. He wasn't committed and that's good. No use having a boat if you're not going to go boating. Not the right time or place in his life but now he will know in the future what he wants and doesn't want to do. Meanwhile a condo and smaller boats sounds great, maybe renting many different boats, even in different places. And if you only have a weekend here and there, you need speed. I'm serious. You're not one of the have all the time in the world types, not one to go slow and smell the roses. I'd go for a runabout or for an express cruiser. But first rent different boats and see what you like.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #20
Guru

Funny....I live aboard which is home...and also have family and friends and things to do.