Old 09-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishladyg View Post
I would be grateful for any comments on sleeping in forward cabins at anchor. Are there any out there with a "walk around" bed?

We have a forward master, with (part-way) walkaround queen-sized (sorta, mostly) bed. No anchor noise to speak of, but we do get some wave slap. Not horrible.

Our bed is mounted above storage drawers, so it's about an 18" step up to get there; not great.

Believe I'd prefer a full-beam master in our lottery boat, but that means about 55' or so in our current style of vessel. And I keep forgetting to play, anyway...

-Chris

Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have a forward master, with (part-way) walkaround queen-sized (sorta, mostly) bed. No anchor noise to speak of, but we do get some wave slap. Not horrible.

Our bed is mounted above storage drawers, so it's about an 18" step up to get there; not great.

Believe I'd prefer a full-beam master in our lottery boat, but that means about 55' or so in our current style of vessel. And I keep forgetting to play, anyway...

-Chris
The key to this thread may be though that the OP said she's a light sleeper. We're heavy sleepers so the sound wouldn't bother us. The height is where the problem often comes in for me and it's not the clearance on the bed, but it's getting to it and walking around it.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
While much of the advice that has been given here is spot on, there are far more differences between and Full Displacement and Semi-Planning hull than the wave noise at anchor.

The only similarities between the Krogen Express 49 and the kadey Krogen 42, 44 or 48 is the name "Krogen".
Well, the subject of the thread is the forward MSR.

One very nice advantage of the forward MSR, I haven't noticed mentioned yet, is the ability to open the overhead hatch and catch whatever breeze is available while at anchor. This can cut down on the need for AC, running fans, etc. Opening the port lights on an aft MSR doesn't come close.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
ONE disadvantage of a FSR can occur IF one is doing an overnight or extended passage. Noise from forward motion would produce possible sleep preventing wave noise.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
ONE disadvantage of a FSR can occur IF one is doing an overnight or extended passage. Noise from forward motion would produce possible sleep preventing wave noise.
Yet another reason to have a very comfortable sofa in the salon.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Well, the subject of the thread is the forward MSR.

One very nice advantage of the forward MSR, I haven't noticed mentioned yet, is the ability to open the overhead hatch and catch whatever breeze is available while at anchor. This can cut down on the need for AC, running fans, etc. Opening the port lights on an aft MSR doesn't come close.
Also an escape hatch, so beneficial from a safety standpoint.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Yet another reason to have a very comfortable sofa in the salon.
Makes you think too of exactly what you use the cabin for. If you stay up in the salon or on the decks until time you're ready to sleep and when you wake get up and leave the cabin, then size and headroom and the other issues become minimum. The sleep issue is still important. On the other hand if you use it to relax, to read, to watch television or just to sit and talk, then these other factors become more important.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Also an escape hatch, so beneficial from a safety standpoint.
A properly designed aft or mid cabin will have a hatch, door or portlight big enough for that purpose. I opened ours up (they are on the transom) and tried it one time: tight, but doable. I imagine if I was scared enough I'd be through there in no time. But it's the kind of thing you don't want to be figuring out for the first time when things have hit the fan.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #29

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Heck with the "noise from forward motion" I'd be more concerned with the unpleasant motion up in the bow. While underway on a long passage it's the least desirable location, and at times impossible, for sleeping. An aft or mid-ship MSR is the only way I'd want my boat configured. Yes, a FSR would suffice for a guest stateroom but even then not for sleeping while underway on a long passage. Just Sayin'
Old 09-16-2015, 12:29 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishladyg View Post
Hi Bay Pelican, (nice name) please, is the 42 similar to the 49? Which year is yours? We are looking at a 1999 49ft.
Have not heard of a Krogen 49. I think there are two versions of the Krogen 48. The North Sea and the AE. Both are very similar to the 42 just larger although the foward sloping windows in the pilot house are different.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My wife is a very light sleeper and she is able to sleep underway in our Krogen's forward stateroom. I can sleep anywhere/anytime so underway I sleep in the pilothouse to be near the action unless I have additional very competent crew so that there are two people in the pilothouse.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -
I think the only person who can answer the OP's question is the OP. Sleeping preferences are totally different from person to person.

We have both a fore and aft cabin. We sleep in the aft cabin but we don't mind wind and water noise against the hull. In fact, as long as we know what the nose is we prefer a "noisy" night to a dead quiet night. Wave slap against the side of our hull is nice, in our opinions.

When we have guests they sleep in the forward cabin (V-berth with its own head) and all of them have remarked how well they slept up there. Best sleep ever, a few have said, which rather surprised us. I've slept up there once when one of us had a cold and was coughing a lot. We were on a mooring and the bay had waves running into it. I don't recall hearing any slapping sound but there was a constant "chuckle" of waves rippling past the hull plus the motion of the boat pitching up and down. I very much liked it.

But other people would not be able to sleep under these conditions. So if the OP is a light sleeper and the kinds of sounds that a boat makes at anchor or on a mooring would disturb him it would seem that a forward cabin, regardless of it's layout and spaciousness, would be a bad choice.

As others have said, best try it out first before making any sort of purchase decision. Charter a similar boat, beg a ride with someone with a similar type of boat, whatever needs to be done to find out firsthand what it's going to be like up there.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I think the only person who can answer the OP's question is the OP. Sleeping preferences are totally different from person to person.

As others have said, best try it out first before making any sort of purchase decision. Charter a similar boat, beg a ride with someone with a similar type of boat, whatever needs to be done to find out firsthand what it's going to be like up there.
Absolutely and do not purchase a boat with a forward master cabin until you have done that. If you think you'll have difficulty sleeping that may become a self fulfilling prophecy or, if you are able to have an open mind, you may find it really is nothing. However, until I'd resolved that concern directly, I wouldn't go down that path.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Sleeping in the forward cabin

Ok folks, wow thats so much information, love the jokes. Sleeping would just be when we are at anchor not really when we are on a long passage, its not like we will be doing another Atlantic passage or another Fort Lauderdale to St John.

We always use an anchor snubber so the chain shouldn't bother us too much after all most boats have a distance between the headboard and anchor locker.

Thank you all.
The Krogen Express 49, the American Tug 41 and the Navigator - Californian 48
are on our list to take a look at when we can.

At the moment sat waiting for a buyer for our own yacht.

BFN
spanishladyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #35
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The key to this thread may be though that the OP said she's a light sleeper. We're heavy sleepers so the sound wouldn't bother us. The height is where the problem often comes in for me and it's not the clearance on the bed, but it's getting to it and walking around it.

Agree, and I (we) have no real way to quantify how "some noise" might impact...

Actually trying it out -- chartering or whatever -- seems like a useful idea, but we find the actual noise level also seems to vary all over the map. Sometimes gentle rippling, sometimes more aggressive wave slap, depending on wind and sea states. I'd think it might take more than just a couple days on charter to decide what's acceptable... and variance from boat to boat (is the charter the same as the target candidate) might be difficult to control for, too. IOW, there's likely still some guesswork required...

Yep, our big step up is an issue. We deal with it, but I'd have preferred less height -- one less storage drawer underneath would probably do it, two less would be even better, but then of course storage become an issue, too.

If I were designing our lottery boat, I think I'd make it a standard household size and at the same time set the whole mattress lower and further aft. My goal would be to have the thing easier to make up with standard linens, and with about 4/5ths of each side truly walk-around. That'd offer a chance to waste some space up near the anchor/rope locker, but I'd guess that could be fashioned into storage for stuff that's not used as often.

In my lottery boat, this would be the guest stateroom anyway, though (remembering that fictional full-beam master I mentioned before), so I wouldn't care all that much.

-Chris
Old 09-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
That'd offer a chance to waste some space up near the anchor/rope locker, but I'd guess that could be fashioned into storage for stuff that's not used as often.

-Chris
That's actually what our small open Riva does. First time you see the forward cabin (the only cabin on it) you're surprised at the amount of room and wonder how they accomplished it. On the front deck there is a huge full width locker.
Attached Images

Tags
beds, forward cabin, kadey krogen