Tell me about the best location to liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having lived all my life in Miami I can tell you I enjoy the area, plenty to do, great weather now that we have AC, great food, great medical. Yes the cost of living is not cheap but we have no income tax. The biggest plus is the great cruising. In hours we can be in the Bahamas, the Keys, west coast of Florida. It a boaters paradise.

I'm nor leaving.

"Also important to me is the social environment. I'm single, and I know from experience that working from home (or boat) can get very lonely. I would love to be in a marina with an active social atmosphere, and withing walking distance of a cool pub or two.

So where is your favorite place to tie up and what's great about it?"

NEW YORK CITY!

Awash with women , and things to do ,more eateries than some states have people, great 3 season cruising in LI Sound ,

Aint cheap and a real heating system is required,, not a dozen plug in heaters.

Check out Fort Pierce FL. We've stopped at the City marina a few times and liked it. You're walking distance to restaurants and bars. The water font seems to be the focal point of the town and it's far enough south the winters are good. You're also near an ocean outlet so you'd have more access to fishing. One thing we noticed was FP had a pretty good age spread where it wasn't just old folks. :hide:

I just left my boat in Ft Pierce City marina after being in the Bahamas, hoping to do a little refitting before heading SE again rather than take boat all the way home. definitely nice to have all the restaurants (and good beer) close by and the dock price is reasonable, farmers market on saturdays right there. some local "wildlife" sightings as well.

As an aside, I learned the hard way the Ft Pierce inlet is a bit of an adventure returning on a spring outgoing tide. a couple hundred yards of white water :eek:

For those looking for social life do I need to mention South Beach? Beautiful expensive women and very available. ?

JAX is a military town. Home of the largest amphibian base in the world. The best waterfront real estate is the military base. New Bern would check most, if not all, of your boxes and the social scene would be much more in line to what you would be looking for. Several great pubs and restaurants within an easy walk of the downtown marinas. Not so much in JAX.

Although I have to say I've never stayed in any of the Marina's there, as a Florida native and one who has spent many weeks there over the years for training, travel and other assignments, I'd skip Jax altogether, for more pleasant, attractive and less crime riddled and congested destinations. Then again, it's been a few years so maybe it's changed?

I agree with most of the other destinations though.:thumb:

I just left my boat in Ft Pierce City marina after being in the Bahamas, hoping to do a little refitting before heading SE again rather than take boat all the way home. definitely nice to have all the restaurants (and good beer) close by and the dock price is reasonable, farmers market on saturdays right there. some local "wildlife" sightings as well.

As an aside, I learned the hard way the Ft Pierce inlet is a bit of an adventure returning on a spring outgoing tide. a couple hundred yards of white water :eek:

Was it like this? Those waves would suck on my boat. This isn't me. Just found this video messing around on YouTube.

You know when there are surfers out you've picked the wrong day to go boating. [emoji23]

Last edited:
Although I have to say I've never stayed in any of the Marina's there, as a Florida native and one who has spent many weeks there over the years for training, travel and other assignments, I'd skip Jax altogether, for more pleasant, attractive and less crime riddled and congested destinations. Then again, it's been a few years so maybe it's changed?...

You should check out the marinas and where they are. Jacksonville is the largest city in the US so it also encompasses a lot of crappy areas. The "marina mile has 5 plus marinas in a short section. From anyone of them, you will be in safe walking distance to Publix, West Marine, Walgreens, CVS, good medical, several restaurants, bars, etc.

Check out the reviews for Oretga Landing Marina, one of the marinas of the 5 on Active Captain. I think you'll be surprised.

When deciding where to go , you might want to check out tax laws in certain states. We know of people on the hard , in New Bern, due to break down and repair, we're told to pay County tax, after 90 days stay. Myrtle Beach , did the same and changed to 180 days, due to marinas losing business, people were leaving, Horrey County, South Carolina.That was about 5years ago, do not know what has changed, if any, since then.Pain in the neck to be always looking over your shoulder, for the tax people.

WWTMD.

What Would Travis McGee Do?

I can say from personal experience it takes a certain kind of woman to appreciate walking down a dock (in heels) at night, making her way on the boat, then "navigating" the head. In the morning, the lack of counter space for makeup, no makeup mirror, well, there are going to be challenges. My boat was huge, but not a chick magnet.
If I could suggest, stay on land, and travel around to find a place you would like to live - Daytona is different than Ft. Lauderdale than Baltimore than Charleston, etc. Then find the marina/anchorage.

Last edited:
We were in Maryland for a year and will add to the "not north of nc" vote. We're in Savannah now which might suite your needs well. It's a surprisingly happening place. They'd a couple bars in walking distance of the thunderbolt marinas yet downtown is a very quick uber ride away.

WWTMD.

What Would Travis McGee Do?

I can say from personal experience it takes a certain kind of woman to appreciate walking down a dock (in heels) at night, making her way on the boat, then "navigating" the head. In the morning, the lack of counter space for makeup, no makeup mirror, well, there are going to be challenges. My boat was huge, but not a chick magnet.
If I could suggest, stay on land, and travel around to find a place you would like to live - Daytona is different than Ft. Lauderdale than Baltimore than Charleston, etc. Then find the marina/anchorage.

Nonsense!! You just didn't find the right woman who appreciates life on the water. I have a huge boat myself, 58 feet of three levels of living spaces to include four staterooms, four heads, etc., and have never felt like the lack of room for makeup, a mirror, or any of that girly stuff, not even in my own little cabin, meant anything. Don't succumb for "staying on land" for the sake of a woman who doesn't appreciate the boating lifestyle. There are a LOT of us single women (and we don't care a flying flop about high heels and makeup) out here who appreciate this lifestyle. I, myself, am looking forward to downsizing to a one or two stateroom trawler with a single engine, for a change. Just for grins...my boat is a magnet for South Florida calendar firemen (ran into a rookie just tonight LOL). Means nothing in the big picture. Seek out your dream and your realize your dream without regard to the material things. You are not alone.

We were in Maryland for a year and will add to the "not north of nc" vote. We're in Savannah now which might suite your needs well. It's a surprisingly happening place. They'd a couple bars in walking distance of the thunderbolt marinas yet downtown is a very quick uber ride away.
What Marina in Savannah? Rates?

Nonsense!! You just didn't find the right woman who appreciates life on the water. I have a huge boat myself, 58 feet of three levels of living spaces to include four staterooms, four heads, etc., and have never felt like the lack of room for makeup, a mirror, or any of that girly stuff, not even in my own little cabin, meant anything. Don't succumb for "staying on land" for the sake of a woman who doesn't appreciate the boating lifestyle. There are a LOT of us single women (and we don't care a flying flop about high heels and makeup) out here who appreciate this lifestyle. I, myself, am looking forward to downsizing to a one or two stateroom trawler with a single engine, for a change. Just for grins...my boat is a magnet for South Florida calendar firemen (ran into a rookie just tonight LOL). Means nothing in the big picture. Seek out your dream and your realize your dream without regard to the material things. You are not alone.

Wifey B: Like your style. I like amenities on board but so does my hubby. You just have to know what works for you. That's why we suggest some chartering. Took one week on a beautiful Burger 113' to know we could love the boat but couldn't live with the speed. That's just us but different than most others.

If you have a job in town to go to perhaps you wear makeup but I wear in when we're cruising once every couple of weeks at the most and I can put on makeup anywhere. Heck, look at all the women who put it on while driving to work. (I don't do that, bad bad bad idea). When we go out dressed up to a fancy restaurant I do wear heels, but that doesn't require anything special. Our rooms on the boat aren't as nice as our house, but they have one overriding advantage, they move on the water.

Now, I disagree with not succumbing if you love this woman. I think you do need to find a compromise that works for both of you and I do believe that is possible. By now you should know her likes and dislikes. If you don't, it's time to learn them. Hopefully you long ago found compatibility. There is nothing wrong with a woman who doesn't like the water, but most will if introduced properly and if their needs are recognized equally. Normally it's simple things like flying home to see the grandkids every so often or spending holidays at home with the kids and grandkids.

With the two persons working together the boat selection will be even better as one will see things the other misses. It's like when we did the walk through on our house, we both saw different things that needed fixing or changing. Sometimes you'll also find you know what your partner can't live with better than he does. For instance, lets say the man is tall and the headroom of the master stateroom is a little too low but he says fine. You might know that things they think they can live with, faced day after day, they can't.

If you go at it together, it will work if you have a healthy relationship. However, if one of you goes off on their own and comes up with their solution and just expects the other to say "that's wonderful darling" then surely you know better than that route. :D

I need to add too one thing: Married people, don't take relationship advice from single people. Not meant just against you, Mermaid, but a lot of divorced guys here I've heard give some pretty lousy marital advice.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nonsense!! You just didn't find the right woman who appreciates life on the water. I have a huge boat myself, 58 feet of three levels of living spaces to include four staterooms, four heads, etc.,

Can I just come live with you then? ;)

WifeyB

"Not meant just against you, Mermaid, but a lot of divorced guys here I've heard give some pretty lousy marital advice"

And your point is? LMAO. Why do you think they are divorced!

WifeyB

"Not meant just against you, Mermaid, but a lot of divorced guys here I've heard give some pretty lousy marital advice"

And your point is? LMAO. Why do you think they are divorced!

Wifey B: Exactly. Don't go to the guy who drowned for swimming lessons. :rofl:

Being from the Midwest...I'd stick to the Gulf Coast. About 10 years ago I was in my early 40's and on Match. I was going to be in the Punta Gorda area for 2 weeks at Christmas so I changed my profile to Florida to look for beach dates while I was there. Lot's of professional, college educated gals in that age group. Remember lots of Medical professionals there taking care of the retired.

I'd look at Fisherman's Village Marina. Lots of activity next door and bicycle distance to downtown. Fairly well protected harbor yet close enough to some nice boating between Sarasota and Ft. Myers.

Good luck,

Sidney

Wifey B: I'm with you. If it's too cold for a bikini, then it's too cold. :)

To those like you and like us, South Florida is Paradise. Not for everyone, but i'm glad as we have plenty of people now. ;)

I do differ on summer as I don't find it brutal. It's never been 100 and the humidity is so good for skin and allergies and everything and there's always a nice breeze of salt air off the ocean, also good for you. :)

We had a wonderful summer in the PNW and Alaska a few years ago and I see how people love it. Just too cold for me, even their warm, so nice to visit but couldn't make it home.

We moved here from NC and we were happy there, but omg if we had to move back, having winter again, just wouldn't make me happy. :ermm:

Yes, yes, yes!

David

Cape Coral is hotter in summer than the east coast, still beats the PNW. LOL

I think the best location to liveaboard is EXACTLY where you are at any moment....Home is where the heart is etc etc...

The great thing about a trawler or ocean crossing type boat is you can go anywhere and still be home...

Ch

San Diego

For the best weather in the country try San Diego. Average temperature of 70 degrees and no humidity. Lots to do around town and within walking distance. Not many great places to take the boat but if your focus is living aboard, SD is paradise.

John

You need to figure out what YOU want and stop slow dancing. Nobody can tell you what is "right" until you have a clue.

The best is either buy or rent a private dock. Rent will be half or less than a marina, no dock nazis, and so on.

Lepke

I basically did the same. I bought a home on the Miami River with 120 feet of dock to keep the boat. I guess I cou,d live on the boat if I wanted.

Not necessarily. I do have family in the midwestern US that I would like to keep within reasonable reach. I'm not opposed to Mexico, the Bahamas or other nearby locales.

Your choices are endless. Don't limit yourself. You can get to the midwestern US from almost anywhere in the world in less than a day.

Find the boat first so you know what you are dealing with. Size, draft, etc. It's a boat. If you don't like one place, move to another! :)

The best place to live aboard is Australia! The north coast in winter and south coast in summer! The weather is awesome! The people are friendly! Great fishing! Safe! No guns! And incredible anchorages everywhere!

The best place to live aboard is Australia! The north coast in winter and south coast in summer! The weather is awesome! The people are friendly! Great fishing! Safe! No guns! And incredible anchorages everywhere!

Safe? Populated by descendants of convicts???:lol:

One option may be to take a lesson from the RV folks. I don't recall the specific about FL, but TX allows you to have a mail forwarding service as your official domicile/driver's license address. With a mail forwarding service as a home base address, you can test out many different areas until you find the one you want to stay at. That will save you from having to commit to a location only to find, after a while, you don't really care for it as much as you thought you might. It might also be handy if you want to migrate between midwest family locations and points further south in winter.

Back
Top Bottom