Old 01-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswizzler View Post
Sea of Cortez in Mexico, it might be a bit of a run but once you get there, you may never leave. Currently starting our 3 year on the Pacific side of Mexico, the last two have been up in the Sea. Great fishing, anchorages, weather and wonderful people. Now down in Puerto Vallarta to check out the mainland some. Still enjoying every day and seeing how far the dollar goes. A great dinner bottle of wine all still between $30-$50.
Couldn’t agree more. We spent 5 years there between two boats. It as social as you want or you can hide out.

Glad to here dinner and a bottle of wine for 2 is still $30-50.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #82
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Glad to here dinner and a bottle of wine for 2 is still $30-50.
Bottled water for 2, $0.20.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #83

City: Huntsville
Hi there.
Sounds like we are about to do the same thing. I plan on buying my boat in May and heading out. I work from wifi mostly. Let me know what you are finding out. I'm looking more south. Florida, Keys, island hopping...
Good luck to you.
Scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #84

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Bottled water for 2, $0.20.
So?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #85

City: Pentwater
I am replying to an old post but the subject is still "new". My husband wants me to stay on our eventual loop boat from January through April on the western side of Florida. I have never lived on a boat but we have chartered 43'+ boats so I know the space involved. What I am wondering about is, the heat of Florida when you're out in the sun at a Marina dock. When I visit marinas to see if I like them I am always blown away by how hot they are. Do folks really sit around and visit on their boats or are they hiding in their AC? Also, what do you do in really bad storms? We had a severe thunderstorm yesterday with 800 lightening strikes and 40 MPH gusts. I don't think I would want to be in the situation by myself in a boat in a marina? Do you go into the Marina building or do you just hunker down and deal with it on the boat? Would love to hear a woman's perspective on this because I think my husband thinks I am overthinking it. I don't want to sound ungrateful because it is a "tough problem to have" but I am beyond the romantic images of boat living and now looking at the reality of it.
Julsburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #86
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julsburd View Post
I am replying to an old post but the subject is still "new". My husband wants me to stay on our eventual loop boat from January through April on the western side of Florida. I have never lived on a boat but we have chartered 43'+ boats so I know the space involved. What I am wondering about is, the heat of Florida when you're out in the sun at a Marina dock. When I visit marinas to see if I like them I am always blown away by how hot they are. Do folks really sit around and visit on their boats or are they hiding in their AC? Also, what do you do in really bad storms? We had a severe thunderstorm yesterday with 800 lightening strikes and 40 MPH gusts. I don't think I would want to be in the situation by myself in a boat in a marina? Do you go into the Marina building or do you just hunker down and deal with it on the boat? Would love to hear a woman's perspective on this because I think my husband thinks I am overthinking it. I don't want to sound ungrateful because it is a "tough problem to have" but I am beyond the romantic images of boat living and now looking at the reality of it.
Welcome aboard!

Is Pentwater like Pentwater MI? If so, FL marinas will probably seem warm but Jan thru April is perhaps the nicest time of year in FL. Kind of similar to Northern MI from June thru September. When you say west coast of FL, that can cover 2-3 climate zones. It will be warmer in Fort Meyers than St Pete and much warmer than Pensacola. There is also a wide spectrum of marinas and what they offer.

Okay, I am a dude and can't give you a woman's perspective but I would tell you most people find plenty to do during those months without sticking to the boat or the marina building and you will probably find a lot of other people at the marina to socialize with. So yeah, I agree with your hubby, you are over thinking it. But YMMV.....
Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: So much in your post and so much missing, including what kind of boat and where. The heat is not an issue that time of year although I still like AC. There are country club resort marinas and there are docks calling themselves marinas but lacking all the amenities. You said "by myself" and made we have to ask, "where will he be?" Sort of critical words to me as I'd be fine on the boat with my hubby but I don't want to be left on the boat or at home or anywhere alone for an extended time. I'm fine on the boat at a nice marina in a storm. If I was going to be spending a lot of time alone it would have to be a resort marina with places to go and a social environment and things like a pool and gym and even spa.

Donna moved from regular marina to resort not long ago and chronicled it here. The prior marina was a good place to keep the boat. The current one is a good place to spend time on the boat. Plus some marinas have environments I'd be fine with and others don't. Living at a marina where there's a lot of drunken party behavior isn't my ideal.

Back to the storm, what would you do at home on land? Now, if I was alone on the boat, I'd be ok, but I still might prefer to be inside the yacht club with others as it blows through. And perhaps a yacht club is the place to be.

It's like shopping anytime for a place to live. Find what fits you.

One other thing. I would not personally want to live anywhere 4 months without a car. Fine, there's public transportation, uber, and more. However, I want the freedom to go, to load it up if I choose with things I buy. I'd just find it difficult to be sitting somewhere with no way to get around. At the very least knowing what is near and what transportation is like is very important.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #88

I did leave details out... my husband would be coming on the weekends until he retires so I would be there by myself during the week. Yes, I will have a car and yes I am probably looking at a resort type marina since I would like a pool or beach nearby and a workout gym. I am looking in the Sarasota, St. Petersburg area initially because we have family vacationing nearby. We are looking at boats 45-50' with flybridge, and an covered cockpit we can use as a "porch". Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #89
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
I agree with everything WifeyB said. I wouldn't hesitate a bit. Find a marina with the facilities you want and go for it.

Storms you have to take individually. Severe thunderstorms with tons of lightening would have me in the clubhouse. Lighter or more moderate weather I would feel fine on the boat.

I envy your position!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
I did leave details out... my husband would be coming on the weekends until he retires so I would be there by myself during the week. Yes, I will have a car and yes I am probably looking at a resort type marina since I would like a pool or beach nearby and a workout gym. I am looking in the Sarasota, St. Petersburg area initially because we have family vacationing nearby. We are looking at boats 45-50' with flybridge, and an covered cockpit we can use as a "porch". Thanks for your replies.
Wifey B: Some great marinas you can choose from in St. Pete and some resorts and yacht clubs. Marinas tied to hotels can be very nice if you're given full privileges. We like Marina Jack's in Sarasota but not where I'd want to spend 4 months, 70% as a single woman.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #91

Yes, I visited Marina Jacks the other day and was very disappointed. That was my take on it, good for a week or 2 but would not want to spend 4 months there. I am going to look at Regatta Pointe in Palmetto tomorrow. It sounds like a nice compromise between resort and regular marina... it is like finding a neighborhood to buy a house only the neighborhoods are not very abundant! Thanks for your help!
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #92
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
I pretty much echo everything WifeyB said.
I would have no problem staying on our boat alone. But if I’m going to for any extended period of time, I would want to be at a resort type marina and I would want a vehicle. Otherwise, it would get very boring.

We live in South Louisiana. It gets REALLY hot and humid here in the summer. But yes, we still sit out and visit with our friends at our marina. We grill on the weekends and stuff or we take the boat out to our swim hole and spend the day in the water.

As for storms, our marina is pretty protected so I have no trouble staying on our boat during a storm.

And lastly, I also agree with Wifey B about marina jacks. We just stayed there overnight last week. We liked it a lot. I don’t think I’d want to stay there alone for an extended period of time though.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #93
FF
Guru

"As for storms, our marina is pretty protected so I have no trouble staying on our boat during a storm."

There may be a danger to the boats electric toys but a lightning storm is no big deal .

I lived aboard oir decades in NYC , and a great big winter storm was usually a delight.

Raw nature , just outside the port , 50K of breeze, 10deg F and snow whiteouts , reality, far better than TV.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #94

City: Florida
It boils down to cost and what you want to do when you are off the boat. We are in Palmetto, the marina is beautiful and one of the safest in Florida from weather. But not much around outside and since we work M-F it doesnt make much difference. Cost is great too. I would love to live down in the keys but the cost of what we have would be double....but the water would be so much nicer

Crazymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote