Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #21

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
We stopped by Loggerhead yesterday and had a chat with the manager there.
He said they're not YET a live aboard marina, but should be by summer.
Also went on to say that he really didn't like live aboards. I asked him why, and he said that many live aboards don't have any other storage, so they tend to make the dock their garage. Seems like an easy problem to solve...don't let them do that
Also said their live aboard rate for a 45' boat would be about $500/mo, including power.

Going up to Tarpon Springs today to poke around up there...

Jim

Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #22

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
We stopped by Loggerhead yesterday and had a chat with the manager there.
He said they're not YET a live aboard marina, but should be by summer.
Also went on to say that he really didn't like live aboards. I asked him why, and he said that many live aboards don't have any other storage, so they tend to make the dock their garage. Seems like an easy problem to solve...don't let them do that
Also said their live aboard rate for a 45' boat would be about $500/mo, including power.

Going up to Tarpon Springs today to poke around up there...

Jim
Lobstah,

Did you check on my lines while you were down there?

Seriously, I know all the Marinas in Tarpon Springs (lived and boated there for 30 years); I still visit family every month. PM me if I can help.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Normally, I wouldn't suggest a ritzy marina like Longboat Key Club Moorings, but many of the slips are owned, and at least a couple of them have appeared on Craigslist at half the cost of the commercial marina rental rates. I was aboard a Krogen 42 that was paying 450 for his slip, and I saw another on Craigslist the other day at 450 also. Walking, bikeways, new Publics supermarket, CVS, Cleaners, Fuel, decent contractors, and good restaurants are easy access. It's a gorgeous marina and grounds.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
CW
Veteran Member

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 42-125
We spent a few months at Fisherman's Village Marina in Punta Gorda last year. Fishermen's Village Marina Located on Florida's West Coast in Punta Gorda Very nice community, many live aboards especially during the winter. Fixed docks. Parking a car can be a challenge at times.

Currently we are at Legacy in Ft Myers. Legacy Harbour Marina Floating docks, good security and parking.

Ft Myers Yacht basin is close by Fort Myers Yacht Basin. No security gates, fixed docks and parking can also be a challenge.

Good Luck.

Chris
CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Legacy Marina in Ft Myers also has easy in slip do it yourself pumpout which I like. There is usually a friendly bunch of cruisers in there.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #26

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Donna Marie
Vessel Model: 130ft Hatteras
We really like Regatta Pointe Marina Yacht Club in Palmetto FL Regatta Pointe Marina | Florida's Premier Live Aboard Marina with Boat Slip Rentals
StaticB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
Guru

I have my boat at Twin Dolphins on the Manatee River. My hurricane plan is to secure the boat by removing all the canvas and double tie all lines and remove any valuables.
The whole Tampa Bay area has been a hurricane hole, but someday that will change.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Normally, I wouldn't suggest a ritzy marina like Longboat Key Club Moorings, but many of the slips are owned, and at least a couple of them have appeared on Craigslist at half the cost of the commercial marina rental rates. I was aboard a Krogen 42 that was paying 450 for his slip, and I saw another on Craigslist the other day at 450 also. Walking, bikeways, new Publics supermarket, CVS, Cleaners, Fuel, decent contractors, and good restaurants are easy access. It's a gorgeous marina and grounds.
I had no idea you could get a slip there for that price. I will check it out next year when our current obligation expires. Longboat Key Club is one of the premier marinas on the FL west coast. Are the people friendly?? I'm not sure my little Carver 35 would be well received and may look a little out of place.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticB View Post
We really like Regatta Pointe Marina Yacht Club in Palmetto FL Regatta Pointe Marina | Florida's Premier Live Aboard Marina with Boat Slip Rentals
It's one of the most active marina's I've been too. Stuff going on all the time. No floating docks however so the admiral said no. Also some of the fixed docks are starting to look a little run down.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
No floating docks however so the admiral said no.
Interesting. Guess floating vs fixed is another one of those things that has supporters on either side. I prefer fixed, primarily because I feel that the boat is a lot more secure in a bad storm, and of course the hurricane season here lasts six months. It does require more finesse with the dock lines, though, as well as harder to get on/off the boat at times.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Interesting. Guess floating vs fixed is another one of those things that has supporters on either side. I prefer fixed, primarily because I feel that the boat is a lot more secure in a bad storm, and of course the hurricane season here lasts six months. It does require more finesse with the dock lines, though, as well as harder to get on/off the boat at times.
Didn't BoatUS publish some data a while back that indicated that properly installed floating docks with high enough pilings were actually more likely to protect boats during a tidal surge?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Didn't BoatUS publish some data a while back that indicated that properly installed floating docks with high enough pilings were actually more likely to protect boats during a tidal surge?
Didn't see that, but can well believe that it might be the case. I was thinking more of the ones that I have seen which are not constructed that way.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #33

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
If you can't head north, find a well constructed , newer marina with large high palings and a floating dock, try to get the widest slip you can and double up all the lines to different pilings. I weathered Charlie a few years ago with no damage. Naturally remove everything and canvas, I even duck taped the windows and doors. It took me about 8 hours to get prepped. The problem is sometimes you prep and it never hits, better safe than sorry. I also weathered out tropical storms at anchored in the Tortuga's, not ideal, but everyone who headed to Key West got damaged in the slips.
Prep, prep, prep, and plan. Also remove all your important papers and items just in case.
I hope you never have to weather on out!
Capt. Don

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #34
FF
Guru

Seems like an easy problem to solve...don't let them do that

Dock heaps are easiest solved with a set of lockers built ashore available to RENT .

One dock box ,per boat slip , nothing else seems to solve the slob hassle .

A floating dock with tall pilings ONLY works to the top of the piling.

With 13 to 18 ft storm surge possible , tall is seldom enough .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #35

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
If there is a 18 foot surge, the entire Florida will be under water. It's reasonable to expect not higher than 12 ft surge, at the worst. I have been in a number of Maria's in Florda that could facilitate a surge that hight. You just need to look for them.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Lessons we did not learn from Hurricane Camille in 1969. 200mph winds, 24.6' storm surge, and much death and destruction.

HURRICANE CAMILLE - August 14-22, 1969 - Worse than Katrina, Camille barely spared New Orleans from destruction (Lessons we did not learn) - by Dr. George Pararas-Carayannis
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #37

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
I took a look at the Regatta Point Marina recommended by StaticB and it does indeed look like a very nice marina, albeit a little pricy. What really turned me off however (a pet peeve of mine) was their bold unapologetic assertion that all boaters are liars and therefore the need to have your boat measured in the event your flagpole might extend past your transom by 6 inches.

I understand the need to ensure that a bowsprit or pulpit does not impede traffic by extending out into the channel or over the dock but this isn't about common sense, it's about squeezing every cent possible from the customer.

In half a century of boating, and visiting hundreds of marinas in both Canada and the USA, I've never had my boats measured...... ever! In fact, I can not recall a single time where I was charged for my swim platform or outboard. Maybe it's somewhat a regional thing, most of my boating has been in the North but the Florida marina I'm in now simply asked my LOD and that was that!

In my humble opinion any marina engaging in this practice is raising a red flag as to the strong likelihood you will be nickel & dimed to death for everything.

Incidentally, 'I'm not' picking on Regatta Point, I've seen other marina sites mention this as well but most I recall used a little more decorum & tact. It's enough to say "our rates are based on total length including pulpits and swim platforms. Whether they actually do it or not, threatening new customers that their boat will be measured seems to me to be just arrogant.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a relic from another era, doesn't this bug anyone else?
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #38
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm just a relic from another era, doesn't this bug anyone else?
Then I'm a relic too. I suppose it's the whole integrity bit -- to automatically be assumed as to not have any would cause me to go elsewhere as you obviously did. Why support financially places/businesses that aren't treating you well? There are plenty of companies and people out there that are happy to have customers.

And never has Seaweed been measured. The title says she's 23' and that's good enough for me. I did stay at a marina once that had a 25' minimum charge...

But like Capt Kangeroo, I'd not chose to stay in a place that immediately took an adversarial role when it comes to customer treatment/service. There are too many places that welcome boat folks.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #39
Guru

Today everyone tries to take advantage of you. Just look at the marketing hype. If you don't read the fine print you're screwed. A bag of chips that's half full. A bottle of aspirin that a quarter full. It's just normal practice now to deceive. Made in the USA now means assembled in the USA. Big companies do it so does everyone else.

Very sad. At least Regatta Pointe doesn't beat around the bush.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #40
Guru

City: Tampa
That'd be enough to turn me away as well if I were looking.
Too bad we've come to this in our society.

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote