Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Taking the Plunge

Hi Gang!

Fr, George and Betty Jo here. Well, in 5 days we close on the house and make the move to Florida!

We have gotten rid of all but the last bits of our stuff. The only thing harder than accumulating all the crap over a life time is trying to get rid of it. Most of it goes in the garbage and it make you wonder why the heck you kept it all those years.

The last few items, those pesky pictures, momentos, and other items unneeded but still held close to the heart seem to be the last to go. And, for us, these are the hardest to part with. For any of you doing the same, may I say, keep the goal in site, say a little prayer of thanks, and put it in the sale or the bin. The feeling of the freedom of finally letting go will more than make up for the feeling of anguish you had before.

So, if all goes as planned, we will close on out house on the 5th. We will take the check at closing and hit the road headed south from Dallas. As we are not rich, we will be staying with my Son and his family in Deerfield Beach while we begin the search for a used Trawler. The money from our home and some 401K money should be enough to get us something we can live aboard.

We are so excited and, if there is any interest we would be happy to keep everyone updated on our search, our purchase, and all the fun and challenging times that lie ahead. Of course, we could sure use your prayers should you be so inclined!

God bless and see you on the water soon!

George+, Betty Jo, and Patrick (our Golden Retriever!)
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr./Ms./Patrick frg. "...if there is any interest..." I had to look at your join date to find out if you were newbies....OF COURSE there's interest. Please keep me, at least, in the loop and enjoy the chase.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

A picture of us... I hope!
Attached Thumbnails
BettyJoGeorgeHoxie001web.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr./Ms etc. I fully expect the NEXT photo to be Patrick lounging on the aft deck in the sun!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

George, Betty Jo,

Looking forward to your adventures.

I am sure other are really curious too. What led you to the Trawler lifestyle for the middle of Texas?
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
George, Betty Jo,

Looking forward to your adventures.

I am sure other are really curious too. What led you to the Trawler lifestyle for the middle of Texas?
We have wanted to do this for a long, long time. Like many others, we were in the Matrix and were waiting for "Retirement" age, doing what the gov't and others said we ought to do; being "normal" consumers. Well, after three heart attacks and being miserable waiting we decided that now was the time to go. Hell, its almost too late!

Are we really ready? No. Am I a Sailor? No. Can I learn? You bet your ass! We feel like were seventeen years old again. We are on fire, going on a grand adventure. We love the water, boats and the sand. More importantly, we want to be free. Free to choose, free to explore, free to fall and get up again!

We began planning almost two years ago. We paid off everything and starting getting rid of stuff. Finally, we are actually going.

And, if I may just say this to others that read these forms day after day with a gleam in their eye, "DO NOT WAIT!!! GO SMALL AND GO NOW" My friends, time is ticking away. Get up and get going before it is too late". Don't waste another minute in that cubicle waiting for some day. Gird your loins and get moving!

You don't need everything the TV tells you to buy. You don't need to have every detail worked out. All you need is faith and the will to go. The rest will all follow after.

And, what if you go and decide its not for you? At least at the end of your life you will not look back longingly asking "What if...". I already have a pocket full of those and nobody wants 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Gird-Up-Your-Loins-2.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Sounds like a grand adventure....Good luck!

After 16 Boatless years and settling into the retirement thing, we decided to get back in the game...Small to start, and doubt we will ever do the livaboard thing, but just being back on the water is cathartic...
We're gonna have some fun and I bet you 2 will too!

Enjoy the trip!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Sounds like a grand adventure....Good luck!

After 16 Boatless years and settling into the retirement thing, we decided to get back in the game...Small to start, and doubt we will ever do the livaboard thing, but just being back on the water is cathartic...
We're gonna have some fun and I bet you 2 will too!

Enjoy the trip!
No doubt you will my friend! All the very best

George+
Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Winterport
We are very excited for you. You are about 4 months ahead of us on the same journey. Best luck and happy shopping.
Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome to The Great Adventure. Gonna be ups, gonna be downs, and there are gonna be times when you wonder if it is worth it. But it is worth it. In my humble opinion, that is.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
Guru

Welcome aboard hope the hairy one likes boats.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
A picture of us... I hope!
Best Luck!

And

Patrick obviously knows... Any questions... Ask the dog!

Of course Patrick can always bark to TF members if he needs counsel!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #13

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: SALTY
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Welcome to the forum and the life aquatic! Looking forward to your adventures! Looking for your boat can be lots of fun but also confusing and scary. Take your time and ask plenty of questions here on TF. We have your back!
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Welcome. Attitude is everything, and it sounds like you have it in spades. Please do keep us up on you adventure. The hard part is done.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome Aboard! It will be nice to have another TF member in Florida. If you get down to Miami, stop by my store and say hello. You would enjoy the Miami boat show that starts in about two weeks.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome Aboard! It will be nice to have another TF member in Florida. If you get down to Miami, stop by my store and say hello. You would enjoy the Miami boat show that starts in about two weeks.
Love to come down. You're only about an hr away from my Son's house.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Love to come down. You're only about an hr away from my Son's house.
Welcome from Sarasota glad to have you on board Rev.
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #18
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Hi Gang!

Fr, George and Betty Jo here. Well, in 5 days we close on the house and make the move to Florida!

We have gotten rid of all but the last bits of our stuff. The only thing harder than accumulating all the crap over a life time is trying to get rid of it. Most of it goes in the garbage and it make you wonder why the heck you kept it all those years.

The last few items, those pesky pictures, momentos, and other items unneeded but still held close to the heart seem to be the last to go. And, for us, these are the hardest to part with. For any of you doing the same, may I say, keep the goal in site, say a little prayer of thanks, and put it in the sale or the bin. The feeling of the freedom of finally letting go will more than make up for the feeling of anguish you had before.

So, if all goes as planned, we will close on out house on the 5th. We will take the check at closing and hit the road headed south from Dallas. As we are not rich, we will be staying with my Son and his family in Deerfield Beach while we begin the search for a used Trawler. The money from our home and some 401K money should be enough to get us something we can live aboard.

We are so excited and, if there is any interest we would be happy to keep everyone updated on our search, our purchase, and all the fun and challenging times that lie ahead. Of course, we could sure use your prayers should you be so inclined!

God bless and see you on the water soon!

George+, Betty Jo, and Patrick (our Golden Retriever!)

Now all TF guys and Gals you have to stay in line now that the Rev will be watching you guys
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Now all TF guys and Gals you have to stay in line now that the Rev will be watching you guys
According to items in post # 6 - I feel the Good Rev well understands "The Feel of the Deal"!

BTW... I'm nearly always a good boy!

Just ask my Linda!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
frgeorgeh...

Welcome - enjoy the search and the journey after.
Attached Thumbnails
Boat 2013_9_5.jpg  
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, george and betty jo, live aboard, moving