Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just in case some of you think I've been slacking off. This all came out of the back hold. What is still in there are two spare props, 3 more anchors, and an extra shore power cable.

Yes, this was all left with the boat.

NICE!!!! and now for Captain's hour! ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429913346.257888.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429913359.076563.jpg

It's funny now when we talk to our dirt dwelling friends and we automatically just starting using boat terms. My wife's friend told her, "it's like you're speaking another language!" Than we have to back up and explain.

Oh, I can play that game too. Required language in Seminary!

"Culus tibi purior salillo est, nec toto decies cacas in anno."

Enjoy!

I knew it was called a lazarrette, that should mean it`s a small type of "lazar"? I ve never heard of a "lazar".
On a different subject, Priests of the Roman Catholic Church here cannot marry. Personally, I think that is very silly.

I knew it was called a lazarrette, that should mean it`s a small type of "lazar"? I ve never heard of a "lazar".
On a different subject, Priests of the Roman Catholic Church here cannot marry. Personally, I think that is very silly.

Personally, I think it is unfortunate but, it is part of Roman Doctrine.

A lot of folks say that is why they became Anglicans (Episcopal): "all the same ritual but only half the guilt!"

Notice I didn't say it.

You might find it interesting that Rome has a provision to take married Episcopal Priests into the church. I know personally of one entire episcopal church - priests and laity - that went to Rome. They are very happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have met a few married Catholic priests who converted from the Episcopal church after marriage.

I have met a few married Catholic priests who converted from the Episcopal church after marriage.

That is correct. Just added that to my last post. Thanks!

Having no air conditioner and the necessary genset on the boat, we rely on opened doors and windows as well as fans. Avoiding hot, muggy weather, however, is the primary strategy.

Having no air conditioner and the necessary genset on the boat, we rely on opened doors and windows as well as fans. Avoiding hot, muggy weather, however, is the primary strategy.

Well that's a shame as you're missing out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,
Thread creep alert!
Mr. BK. re: post#400. I have some little interest in etymology (study of origin of words) so I looked up lazarette Lazarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It IS as I suggested and as you understand the "back hold" but here's where it becomes interesting AND has a Biblical reference...If one follows the link to lazaretto (the possible root of lazarette) one finds reference to Lazarus. Hmmmmm.....Lepers in the "back hold"? Wryly ironic that good ol' Laz would crop up as a result of Mr. (Father) George's slight misuse of a nautical term don't you think?

Mr. FW. "...plagiarized and uncredited videos..." Pretty strong words there pal. A quote from my source for these "videos" (properly termed GIFS) "Collection of Reaction GIFS to use on Forums, blogs, etc."
THAT description, to me, means free to take and use. FREE. NOT plagiarized (stolen). If you wish the site where I source most of my GIFS I will be happy to provide since you seem concerned that I am stealing from and not crediting the OP of said GIFS.
My correction of your use of the word angler to describe the Apostles was NOT an attempt to suggest that you had a limited vocabulary but to clarify what I,
as an angler (One who fishes with a rod and line) believe would be a more accurate description of the Apostles, who, technically, I think were more akin to what WE on this site are which is trawlermen (recreational).
I hope this clarifies my position but I can't understand what this has to so with my supposed quasi anonymity...

OK, back to "Taking the plunge"...

Last edited:
Ok group. I was able to crawl around both engines where the primary fuel filters are located. I now have all the model numbers for all different filters.

Anyone have a suggestion as to best place to purchase spares? I am guessing online but some details of where some of you folks have purchased before or could recommend would be much appreciated.

I use NAPA fuel and oil filters.

Did you get the manuals I sent.......

My mail goes to my Son's house. We are going over there today so I will check and let u know.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I use NAPA oil filters. From what I've read (anecdotal only) Fram oil filters don't really do a good job. As to fuel filters (Racor 900), I bought a case of 2 micron years ago from WM when a relative was working there and got the "associate" discount but don't know the brand.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I use NAPA oil filters. From what I've read (anecdotal only) Fram oil filters don't really do a good job. As to fuel filters (Racor 900), I bought a case of 2 micron years ago from WM when a relative was working there and got the "associate" discount but don't know the brand.

Thanks RT!

Well, if I do redo it I'm gonna add the vacuum gauges too. Might as well.

It worries me cause where they are now, unless PO hired the work out I really doubt these filters have been changed as they should.

We want to head to Bimini soon but not until I am comfortable with all the systems.

Capt. Tim at Designated Engineer. You can call him with any questions. He is in Fort Pierce.

Home

You're already in paradise. It is wise to stick around with short trips until you are familiar with systems and comfortable with the boat.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. frg. Mr. Moon raises a VERY valid concern. Short trips will give you more practice maneuvering (entering and leaving slip) and also give you greater confidence in the boat.
I think it's common knowledge that both you and Admiral frg like fishing. Here's what I suggest:
1) Go to a tackle/bait shop and pick up a copy (map/chart) of "TOP SPOT" fishing for the Ft. Lauderdale area (map #N212) AND some bait maybe some frozen squid and fresh shrimp. Shrimp are the "worms" of salt water fishing-almost everything eats shrimp. Don't forget your fishing license. Can be purchased online.
2) Lay in some provisions for a nice lunch and head off out of Port Everglades, go out about 4 or 5 miles offshore, turn off your engines, bait your rods, and drift. (seas about 2' today-forecast) Marine Forecast | Weather Underground
3) Loaf about, relax and reel in some dinner. (Prayer sometimes helps with the last item).
4) Repeat as necessary for a couple of weeks. Bimini will STILL be there, trust me.

Last edited:
I'll let you know the next time we're heading to Bimini you can just follow us over. It's only 43NM, I'm sure your boat can do it no problem.

A few posts back this thread was heading into etymological territory, so in order to further the thread creep, I offer up the speech below delivered in the Mississippi House of Reps sometime in the 1950's on the subject of legalizing alcoholic drink in the state - a wonderful bit of obfuscation:blush:

"My friends,
"I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

"If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

"But;

"If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the skip in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, Christmas morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.
"This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise."

I'll let you know the next time we're heading to Bimini you can just follow us over. It's only 43NM, I'm sure your boat can do it no problem.

Great offer Oliver. Buddy boating with an experienced boater is the best of both worlds. As a novice, I would not want to be adrift alone in the Gulf Stream.

Great offer Oliver. Buddy boating with an experienced boater is the best of both worlds. As a novice, I would not want to be adrift alone in the Gulf Stream.

Of course, I was also assuming he has a membership to Sea Tow or BoatTow US, which is a must have. Usually on flat weekends lots of people head over.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Mr. Moon raises a VERY valid concern. Short trips will give you more practice maneuvering (entering and leaving slip) and also give you greater confidence in the boat.
I think it's common knowledge that both you and Admiral frg like fishing. Here's what I suggest:
1) Go to a tackle/bait shop and pick up a copy (map/chart) of "TOP SPOT" fishing for the Ft. Lauderdale area (map #N212) AND some bait maybe some frozen squid and fresh shrimp. Shrimp are the "worms" of salt water fishing-almost everything eats shrimp. Don't forget your fishing license. Can be purchased online.
2) Lay in some provisions for a nice lunch and head off out of Port Everglades, go out about 4 or 5 miles offshore, turn off your engines, bait your rods, and drift. (seas about 2' today-forecast) Marine Forecast | Weather Underground
3) Loaf about, relax and reel in some dinner. (Prayer sometimes helps with the last item).
4) Repeat as necessary for a couple of weeks. Bimini will STILL be there, trust me.
Don't want to start a Shrimp Vs Squid debate, but I would use squid. The problem with shrimp is that they never want to stay on the hook. Also they don't have near the smell of squid. Just my .02 cents. :eek:

Greetings,
Mr. O. No controversy between baits at all. That's why I suggested both. Mr. frg could even troll a cedar plug. No bait needed. Don't ask me how they work, but they do.
img3B3.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. O. No controversy between baits at all. That's why I suggested both. Mr. frg could even troll a cedar plug. No bait needed. Don't ask me how they work, but they do.
img3B3.jpg

100% Concur with you on that!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom