Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speed fish? Speed seed? Fish Snap? Sounds like the beer is already happening....
snap-a-pic.gif

Last edited:
Now the AC blowers are not blowing very much air. Is this the Joys of boating?!?!?ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428932064.029686.jpg

More like the joys of an early South Florida summer. It is unseasonably hot and humid. Hope you can resolve without another big checkbook hit.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Good gracious, you're scaring our dog! Yup, joys of boating. What have you got the air on this early in the morning for? It's beautiful. Nice SE breeze and moderate temp. Pump on brother...
kfp.gif

Yes, the Admiral gave the order for cold air. What the Admiral wants, the Admiral gets!

AC was just a little frozen over. An hour of shut down brought her back in operation.

Now, what else needs fixin? I'm on a roll!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428954357.786789.jpgour first guests on Ten Knots. Some very good friends from TX. They say we inspired them to move to FLORIDA. All I can say is WOW!

Ha, You will find that you will always have visitors! People we barly knew are now coming to visit. We try to keep to this: It parties 30 folks, feed 6 and sleeps 2....

A fresh toilet is sweet.

Friar G, low freon or a plugged air filter (or dirty coils) might be the cause for the coils freezing up. Worth checking before you call Da man...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - if your wanting to spend some more money

Marine | Global Plasma Solutions

It works as advertised. Cleans the air better than anything I've ever tried.

P.S. Been in the HVAC world since '84

love it

i have been live aboard for 18 mths now . i love it ! all the trials and tribulations , the anxiety, all the WTF are part of the deal. i really have not been anywhere only sea trials or to the slip. Everything has been a big learning curve but i am getting there. good luck with your adventure, its a big step and well worth it. tom

i have been live aboard for 18 mths now . i love it ! all the trials and tribulations , the anxiety, all the WTF are part of the deal. i really have not been anywhere only sea trials or to the slip. Everything has been a big learning curve but i am getting there. good luck with your adventure, its a big step and well worth it. tom

Thanks Tom! That is how we feel about it. Always learning. So glad you are enjoying the lives board life.

Yes, the Admiral gave the order for cold air. What the Admiral wants, the Admiral gets!

AC was just a little frozen over. An hour of shut down brought her back in operation.

Now, what else needs fixin? I'm on a roll!

What is it with these people who always want he aircon to be as cold as a frig. If you never set it below 25°C you'll still be comfortable, and save a lot of wasted energy. More to the point, take if from me George, (I'm a quack) over chilling yourself is the best way in the world to stir up a sore back. I see it happen with my patients every summer.

What is it with these people who always want he aircon to be as cold as a frig. If you never set it below 25°C you'll still be comfortable, and save a lot of wasted energy. More to the point, take if from me George, (I'm a quack) over chilling yourself is the best way in the world to stir up a sore back. I see it happen with my patients every summer.

It's hot, plain and simple! At least in our case. If it's a cool day (say about 60 degrees) then we'll shut the hen you down and open the doors.

We fell in love with 10 Knots about a month ago. But the timing was bad, had to get some financing situated. We have been looking for about a year and just loved the walk-around on that boat. When the broker called us and told us he had a contract on it we were heartbroken . Glad y'all get to enjoy it !!! Broker told us if we bought it to add a tank for sewage.
Wish y'all the best of luck with her.
Will y'all be renaming her??
Hope to see y'all on the water !!!

It's hot, plain and simple! At least in our case. If it's a cool day (say about 60 degrees) then we'll shut the hen you down and open the doors.

Heat was never a problem.
We just opened the windows and doors, and turned on some fans:thumb:

Fast forward 20+ years or so, I found myself out of an air conditioned patrol car, and astride a police motorcycle. After a while, I re-acclimated (is that a word?) to the heat, and found myself driving my car (a convertible at the time) with the top down, and my truck with the windows down, almost all the time.

Now at 58, and acclimated to air conditioning everywhere, the AC in my work car decided to quit playing about two weeks or so ago! :banghead:

After about a week, I got used to running around with the windows down and am actually enjoying a nice breeze during the day. Now I'll admit that sitting in traffic blows chunks, but what can a I say?

The other day we were on the water doing a charity event. Even at full stop, the breeze was enough to keep you feeling pretty nice.:thumb:

Ok, just saying. Now somebody turn down the air!:D

We fell in love with 10 Knots about a month ago. But the timing was bad, had to get some financing situated. We have been looking for about a year and just loved the walk-around on that boat. When the broker called us and told us he had a contract on it we were heartbroken . Glad y'all get to enjoy it !!! Broker told us if we bought it to add a tank for sewage.
Wish y'all the best of luck with her.
Will y'all be renaming her??
Hope to see y'all on the water !!!

Barry told us about you folks. I hope you are not to terribly upset with us. We fell in love with her too and, though we didn't look for a year we sure we're tired of looking.

Not to worry. We know you will find "your boat" real soon. Been on her just over a wk and we love living aboard!

We will keep the name. Seems to fit us already.

All the very best to you!

George and Betty Jo

You might be right but we like it nice and comfy. Isn't that our right as the owners? If I wanted to tuff it out I'd have gone camping!

Heat was never a problem.
We just opened the windows and doors, and turned on some fans:thumb:

Fast forward 20+ years or so, I found myself out of an air conditioned patrol car, and astride a police motorcycle. After a while, I re-acclimated (is that a word?) to the heat, and found myself driving my car (a convertible at the time) with the top down, and my truck with the windows down, almost all the time.

Now at 58, and acclimated to air conditioning everywhere, the AC in my work car decided to quit playing about two weeks or so ago! :banghead:

After about a week, I got used to running around with the windows down and am actually enjoying a nice breeze during the day. Now I'll admit that sitting in traffic blows chunks, but what can a I say?

The other day we were on the water doing a charity event. Even at full stop, the breeze was enough to keep you feeling pretty nice.:thumb:

Ok, just saying. Now somebody turn down the air!:D

I dread the day (not really) when we start long range cruising and have to conserve fuel (not run genny 24/7). Haven't installed 12v fans, but it's on the list.

By the way. We went out today into the wide Atlantic and had a great time. Just a short shake down cruise with kids and Grand Kids. It was wonderful and not without a few issues.

Learning, learning and getting more confident all the time.

And yes, we ran the Genny and the AC!

My Daughter in law took a nap in the Salon and said she had not slept that good in forever.

By the way. We went out today into the wide Atlantic and had a great time. Just a short shake down cruise with kids and Grand Kids. It was wonderful and not without a few issues.

Learning, learning and getting more confident all the time.

And yes, we ran the Genny and the AC!

My Daughter in law took a nap in the Salon and said she had not slept that good in forever.

Awesome!:thumb:

You might be right but we like it nice and comfy. Isn't that our right as the owners? If I wanted to tuff it out I'd have gone camping!

Absolutely. I agree. I couldn't live here in Queensland without air in the car and at work, also at home for certain periods - out in the boat, less often, but over Xmas/New Year we decided to not go out again then, because it is often too hot, humid, and windless, so we sometimes wish we had it on those occasions.

My point was based on the fact many folk don't seem to understand how thermostats work, and think if it's hot you need to rip the setting down to ridiculous levels like 18-22°C and it will cool quicker. it won't, it works as hard and fast as it can until the pre-set temp is reached, then if set too low it just overshoots, wastes electricity, and sometimes will never reach the temp it's set on, so is wearing itself out prematurely, and icing up suggests that might have happened to you that last time. If you go to sleep with it set too cold, you risk waking up stiff as a board.

Anyway, aircons can only lower the temp so many degrees below the outside ambient temp, unless specially designed for high temps, e.g. those built for the Middle East. Just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom