Old 02-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #61

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Someone appears to be an exquisite chef! Damn .....er... I mean ... darn that looks good.

Good luck on your great adventure, I can appreciate your excitement but beware the dream wrecker. The wife & I bought our trawler in Fla several years ago and like many before us fell squarely into the trap of the "getting it ready" phase. It's an affliction based on fear and uncertainty that results in excessive and unwarranted preparedness. ie:There is always one more project or upgrade to do before you can throw off the lines and go.

However, judging from your posts here I don't think this will be an issue for you folks. Best of luck!

Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #62
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Dear George and Betty Jo

I'm sure you understand that during this beginning of your adventure there is much to learn. All kinds of input will come your way from all sorts of "knowledgeable" folks. I am pleased to pass on what I feel and how I operate. Take all input with grains of salt... mine very much included! All in all, whatever you hear... YRMV!

May I interject [my] pre purchase and then purchase general rules of thumb:

1. Boat must be at least serviceable for minimum one full year from time of purchase before any repairs may become needed. That means, if upon survey a boat needs repairs - they must be completed before the purchase is actuated. With, appropriate financial alterations as necessary for the purchase to be completed.
2. Boat design, size, equipment etc... must meet with my pre "ordained" well written and thoroughly thought through requirements.
3. There must be an acceptable location to immediately begin docking or storing boat for extended period... up to years if required; preferably a covered berth with ample services and more than barley floating draft at low tide.
4. All money calculations for the next five years of boat ownership are within my budget.

That's just the beginning! Don't be scared But... Do Pray!!

Happy Boat-Cheer Daze! - Art

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #63
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr./Ms. K. Looks like tarted up oysters to me. Oysters Rockefeller on the far left perhaps and Moses only knows what the rest are. Sorry Mr. fr. there's only ONE way to eat good oysters IMO. Live, cold and raw.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #64
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr./Ms. K. Looks like tarted up oysters to me. Oysters Rockefeller on the far left perhaps and Moses only knows what the rest are. Sorry Mr. fr. there's only ONE way to eat good oysters IMO. Live, cold and raw.
Please, RT - By live do you mean yourself?

Once shell is sliced wide open I do not believe any shell food (oyster included) has life remaining. Recently-Dead, Cold and Raw - Yummy, with a special seafood sauce! Hard shell clams too... breathed in clear salt water for 24 hrs first.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #65
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. A. By live, I mean not steamed, grilled, poached, or fricasseed. Now I suppose it's necessary for those on the west coast to put on a "special seafood sauce" but I've NEVER found any benefit, tastewise, to adding anything to a good oyster.
My personal preference is a Virginica oyster from the Northeast. The brininess and crisp finish is much preferred to the flatter tasting and metallic finish of most west coast species I've had occasion to autopsy. The exception is the Kumamoto with it's buttery texture and mild finish. I suppose anything else would warrant a slathering of that "special seafood sauce". The Olympia, for instance, definitely needs something to kill that sometimes harsh metallic aftertaste.
I will confess to adding a few drops of Tabasco or lemon to the occasional oyster but I usually eat the first 5 or 6 dozen neat.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #66
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
"The exception is the Kumamoto with it's buttery texture and mild finish"

Yesssssss. So damn good. So RT, you are a lover of the raw oyster. Why does this not surprise me?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 AM   #67
Art
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. A. By live, I mean not steamed, grilled, poached, or fricasseed. Now I suppose it's necessary for those on the west coast to put on a "special seafood sauce" but I've NEVER found any benefit, tastewise, to adding anything to a good oyster.
My personal preference is a Virginica oyster from the Northeast. The brininess and crisp finish is much preferred to the flatter tasting and metallic finish of most west coast species I've had occasion to autopsy. The exception is the Kumamoto with it's buttery texture and mild finish. I suppose anything else would warrant a slathering of that "special seafood sauce". The Olympia, for instance, definitely needs something to kill that sometimes harsh metallic aftertaste.
I will confess to adding a few drops of Tabasco or lemon to the occasional oyster but I usually eat the first 5 or 6 dozen neat.
No wonder you relate so fully to coinsurer Groucho! Only, from what I understand, his "oyster" preference was not on half shell... but rather by full hip, alive, moist with absolutely no extra sauce.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 AM   #68
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
George & Betty-Jo-congrats on the beginning of what should turn out to be a great adventure! Almost all of us have a boat that needs a prayer every now and again. It will be good to have you out on the water!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 AM   #69
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Welcome aboard George and Betty Jo- I sure envy you guys and wish you well on the search for your perfect ship!
RT- I believe the word we are searching for here is "raw". I am personally a BIG fan of raw oysters, my preference being dipped in a mixture of cocktail sauce, a good pinch of horse radish- and a few shots of Tabasco sauce.
Sorry- thread creep!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #70

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Quote:
Greetings,

That was actually the very first time we ever ate a cooked oyster. We had our doubts but they were quite good. Our fav is still raw as well.
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #71

Made it to Deerfield Beach yesterday. Started to unload from the moving truck and promptly feel out of it onto the driveway. Thought I had broken my back.

Went to ER and just have a small compression fracture, bruised butt and ego to match. I have got to learn to slow down and get on island time!!

Gonna be sore for a while but thank the Good Lord nothing more serious. Gonna rest up a couple days and start boat hunting!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #72
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. fr. "Our fav is still raw as well.". Atta boy. A true connoisseur. I will admit to eating the Rockefeller variety and tend to agree with you, good. Sorry to hear about your tumble. Maybe you should have been wearing your light fall suit...

Oh great, now I'm arguing with myself...
Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #73
Art
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. fr. "Our fav is still raw as well.". Atta boy. A true connoisseur. I will admit to eating the Rockefeller variety and tend to agree with you, good. Sorry to hear about your tumble. Maybe you should have been wearing your light fall suit...

Oh great, now I'm arguing with myself...
Now?? Surely tain't da 1st time!
Old 02-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #74

Patrick having fun with the Grandkids. He missed them me thinks. I missed them too. This will be our home base while we look for a boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150209_152623.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	37235
Old 02-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #75
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
Patrick having fun with the Grandkids. He missed them me thinks. I missed them too. This will be our home base while we look for a boat.

Attachment 37235

How many languages can Patrick speak - by his eyes on post 3 and 74 I'd say at least a few! Great looken G-Kids. We have five. Boys, a 14 yr and a 3 monther. Gals 12, 7, 2.75 yrs! God Luv Em All!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #76

Back to emergency room today. Pain got worse instead of better.

They did an MRI and promptly admitted me. Seems I really did break my back.

Waiting now for the doctor to see what they want to do. Upset cause I can't go boat shopping. Waaaaaaa!!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #77

Just got this pic from the wife. Cheered me right up.

Patrick helping Mia with her homework.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150210_190035.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	37286
Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #78
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
Back to emergency room today. Pain got worse instead of better.

They did an MRI and promptly admitted me. Seems I really did break my back.

Waiting now for the doctor to see what they want to do. Upset cause I can't go boat shopping. Waaaaaaa!!!!
Very sorry to hear that. Take care... boats will still be there when you get better!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #79
Art
Guru

Can tell the way Patrick's nose is slightly wrinkled that the problem he is solving is just too simple for his big brain!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #80
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Man...what a bummer about your back. You're still walking around, so that's a good sign. looks like a stand up engine room might be a necessity!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, george and betty jo, live aboard, moving