Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #601
FF
Guru

Living aboard in NYC for a couple of decades ,

many of the boaters were 'CONNECTED' And already had "family" names.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #602

City: Youngstown Fl
Hi Fr George and Betty Jo. You Guys are about 1 1/2 yrs ahead of us... I am just now getting rid of stuff, drooling over boats, making plans, etc. etc.. I am looking forward to following your adventure. I was in the Navy on submarines and grew up in Vero Beach Fl always loved the water. The wife is reluctant at this point. Best of luck to You and Your Gang. God Bless
Florida Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #603
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Cracker View Post
Hi Fr George and Betty Jo. You Guys are about 1 1/2 yrs ahead of us... I am just now getting rid of stuff, drooling over boats, making plans, etc. etc.. I am looking forward to following your adventure. I was in the Navy on submarines and grew up in Vero Beach Fl always loved the water. The wife is reluctant at this point. Best of luck to You and Your Gang. God Bless

Dear Florida Cracker wife,

Please try your best to look closely at and then well embrace the many enjoyable attributes included in our pleasure boat world. It is the most "legal" fun you can have in life. You won't be sorry, and, you will be amazed; it favorably grows on ya!

Dear Florida Cracker,

Please well embrace your wife's wishes regarding boat design and travel areas and her accommodations desired... you will be glad you did - believe me!

Happy Boat Wife = Happy Boating Life. Pleased wife is when the word "Pleasure" can fully be enhanced toward arriving at the term "Pleasure Boating" for the Captain!

Happy [Pleasure] Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #604
Veteran Member

City: Spruce Head
Vessel Model: Sabreline 36
Icw

Help me out here. I receive emails saying that people are responding to my thread. Is that a thread that I started a long time ago? The response I see have nothing to do with my trip on the ICW. I have a blog of my travels, I posted the address here, that we started in Maine in September 2015. I am confused if anyone is responding to my trip. Thanks
Old 12-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #605
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT54 View Post
Help me out here. I receive emails saying that people are responding to my thread. Is that a thread that I started a long time ago? The response I see have nothing to do with my trip on the ICW. I have a blog of my travels, I posted the address here, that we started in Maine in September 2015. I am confused if anyone is responding to my trip. Thanks
Great place... Spruce Head!

Please post a link to your thread... wherein you think; "Is that a thread that I started a long time ago?"

Otherwise - If you post in a thread you will receive notices when any others post in same thread. You can shut off from being contacted thusly, but only if you want to. I only post in threads that interest me and I want to keep tabs on other boaters' inputs... so, I'm pleased when informed that others have posted.

BTW - Your Blog's address?? I don't see the link provided in your post above.

Happy Maine-Boating Daze! - Art
Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #606
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
How is our TF preacher? Come on George get us up to date on what is going on?????
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #607
Veteran Member

City: PEI
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: Jeaneau 21
# 606 x 2
Seadog2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #608

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
UPDATE UPDATE!!!

Hi Gang. Sorry for the late updates. I had to go back to work. Other than that I confess I am just a lazy Shite!

As long time readers know, I broke my back in Feb when we moved down here to get the boat. The insurance co. kept saying they were not getting my faxes of Dr. notes. In June They cut my disability for three days and my long time LOYAL employer took the opportunity to terminate me.

So, cash out the 401K. Life goes on and so does the money. So, dispite still being in pretty bad shape I took a part time job driving around South FL playing IT guy. Not bad being out most of the day. Sure don't miss the cubicle!

Now for the boat stuff. This rainy winter wx spell here in Ft. Lauderdale has revealed to us some nasty window leaks. Remember I have a 42' Californian. The window frames are painted teak and the windows are glass. This has moved to top of the list of things that need doing. Unfortunately, I am an Electronic Engineer, not a carpenter. Of course, I have to do the work myself. Even if I could afford help I would want to do it myself and learn something new.

Anyone have any advice? I have searched the forum and found just a few references to "dolfinite" and the like. I have heard the main seal for a boat window needs to be on the INSIDE. My question is, after removing the windows, and removing all the old gunk, sanding and fairing the frames, what would be the best way to rebed the windows...and with what? Thank you for any replies!

Other than that we had a great year. Two trips to Bimini and the old girl seems to be purring right along. I am going to have to repair my Windless mount on the bow pulpit. Every time I deploy the anchor the windless release wheel gets jammed against the pulpit. Loose bolts and wood rot or the culprits. I am figuring out how to rebuild this too as it is keeping me from heading down to the keys and other places where an anchor is needed.

In spite of a very tumultuous 2015, we still have no regrets of making the move from land to the boat. My wife says she has never been so happy and I agree. We love our new life and hope that anyone reading this that may still be on the fence will let go of their fear and TAKE THE PLUNGE! For us, every day is a blessing.

God bless you all. Calm seas and safe travels!

George and Betty Jo
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #609
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Hey Fr George and Betty Jo, glad to see you are doing well. Sorry to hear about your medical issues and employment.

Can you show us a picture of your window? A friend of mine has a Marine Trader (Bella?). The windows are sealed up on a wood frame. He made a template of the window, removed the outside trim, then he basically knocked the window out. He then he cleaned the frame up, laid down some sealant, pressed in the new window, placed the outside trim back in.

Picture would help.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #610
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
When I built my new cabin house I made mahogany frames and sealed the glass to the frames with brown boatlife polysulfide sealant. It did a nice job.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #611
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. frg. GREAT to hear from you! Yup, like tides, life has it's ups and downs. Windows? All depends on what condition you find the window frame in. If it's just wet and not rotted, a temporary cover over the opening after the glass removal (clear plastic taped over the opening will do) should keep the rain off and allow that wet wood to dry out at which point it should be sealed VERY, VERY well with epoxy. Then you can proceed to rebed the glass and put the framing back in place with additional bedding. I prefer to use Dolphinite (sp?) because IF you ever have to rebed stuff (another leak perhaps?) it is quite easy to remove and re-apply and relatively cheap compared to the high tech goop which is a chore to remove. IF you've got rot in the framing, it has to be repaired before proceeding with the above. Are we having fun yet?
I'm not familiar with the window mounting system and which way would be best for removal. Maybe a couple of pictures would generate more applicable suggestions.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #612
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
IG has the unfortunate practice of draining any water accumulating on the bottom frame by a hole drilled in the wood. Vital to keep the hole clear of debris.
Beware that some windows taper following the shape of the house, esp. the fwd cabin ones, the shape can be hard to replicate. I hope you don`t find rot in the inside frame as well as the outside. As A S-D said, pics would help.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #613
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Good Friar-great to hear from you again! Sorry to hear about the travails, but unfortunately, they come with life as you well know. Also glad to hear that your decision is turning out to be a great for the two of you. I can't offer much on the windows, but as usual on TF there is an abundance of knowledgeable helpers. Good luck!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #614
Scraping Paint

City: -
Over the years we have overhauled or rebuilt all but three of the 21 windows in our cabin cruiser. They have externally mounted mahogany frames so the entire window can be rebuild from outside the cabin. Some have fixed glass, some have a combination of a fixed pane and a sliding pane.

To refinish the frames we remove them, strip them of paint and primer, prep them and paint them with three coats of CPES. This penetrates and seals the upper layers of wood cells.

With the frame off we take the opportunity to replace the track on the sliding windows and replace original glass that has started to delaminate or fog. We seal the new fixed glass and track to the sill with Sikaflex.

We then reinstall the frame, bedding it with white Dolfinite. When the new teak plugs have been installed over the mounting screws and sanded fair, we paint the frame again with CPES to seal the plugs.

We then tape off the frame from the glass, track, and fiberglass cabin side and prime the frame in place. The final step is to paint the primed frame with Brightside White.

An idea my wife came up with to let us keep using the boat even with a window out for some weeks is to replace the frame with a sheet of clear Plexiglas cut to the outside dimension of the frame. I then drill holes around the upper side and ends of the Plexiglas using the frame as a pattern. We mount the Plex in place of the frame using the same holes and with a very narrow strip of silicone or Sikaflex around the top and sides to act as a seal. We don't seal the bottom edge so moisture that condenses on the inside can run out.

With the Plex over the window hole we can continue to use the boat even in our cold, rainy PNW winters while I refinish the frame at home, have new glass cut, and so forth. We've gone for months this way until the weather warmed to the point we could reinstall the window components and paint the frame.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #615
Art
Guru

Good Father George

Great to hear from you!

I'm so sorry to learn of your physical disturbances. I figure (rough estimate here) there are "21,453" physical disturbances that can/may afflict us as we age. I feel confident you will overcome those nasty pests of that group, which you are now experiencing... Knowing you recovery will be with jokes at hand and smile on your face! Have Betty Jo help keep your smile bright while you keep her in joy and fun! I'll say no more

Tiz a great thing that you found the boat you did and that you both are having excellent experiences aboard it and with it. One thing about a good boat... although repairs/restorations on portions of it do come to light... when living aboard that boat the size and scope of work needed is minimal compared to older homes when they have items appear that need attention. The fact you located your wonderful Pleasure Cruiser (some call it a Trawler) in such short time span tells me you set a record for successful boat search, and, that you are truly a favored FR by the dispensing souls in land-above

Take care George! Keep us up on your and Betty's boat-life doings!!

Art
Old 01-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #616
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Luckily I haven' had to attack any of my fixed pane windows on this boat. Sliders, OTOH have almost all leaked and I have fixed them. They are attached inside the outer frame and the fixed glass. The inside frame is also a very decorative piece of teak. To save the inside frame, carefully remove the plugs over the attaching screws, pry the frame away from the paneling, and remove, lift out the glass, remove the stainless track, clean up the sill, which is likely rotted, fix it with fillers and epoxy. The rotted part is likely all to be hidden again, so use whatever fillers and epoxy will do the job. Once satisfied that it will never leak again through that location, go back together in reverse, using new track, plugs, varnish.
If your fixed pane windows are leaking, ala Marin's, you have a bigger job ahead. I would use butyl tape for the glass to fibreglass cabin side attachment. Go to a glass shop for the tape and for advice on its use. That part is not rocket science. I have done many boat windows where the glass to frame seal had blown, in aluminum frames, and house windows where it was glass to wood. The butyl tape was always the best fix and not messy like Sikaflex or Dolphite.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #617
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Fr. George, welcome back! We've missed you.

Here's a thread on 42 Californian window replacement. Hopefully it will help you.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ent-16012.html

You've got your dog and your wife, your boat and your life. Glad you're still making the most of them all and really glad you're here sharing with us.

When's your next adventure?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #618
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Have courage.
We've all been through the mill do your not alone.
Over here in Europe we use a product called Sikaflex but it may not be sold over the pond.
Don't be tempted to do a rush job, tape over the outside windows as a temporary job and do each one slow but perfect, you won't regret the extra time spent.
May the sun shine on your face and the wind be always on your back.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #619
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Good point...foil tape or similar can buy you some time and allow components to dry out in the meantime. Sikaflex is available in the USA. Another option for bedding windows that is easy to work with and long lasting is butyl tape.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #620
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
If your fixed pane windows are leaking, ala Marin's, you have a bigger job ahead.

So far in the 17 years we've had our PNW cabin cruiser we have never had a window leak. The reason we've rebuilt them is to replace old glass (all the windows on our boat use laminated glass) that was fogging or delaminating, a cracked pane in one case, tracks that had lost all their felt liner over time, or window frames that needed repainting so we took the opportunity to remove, strip and prep them properly.

Window leaks have so far not been an issue on this 1973 boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, george and betty jo, live aboard, moving