Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #521
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
I could use some info on where to fish here in Bimini. I refuse to drift again and Rick running aground and I understand holding for anchoring is bad.

Hate to come over and not catch a single fish for the fanged freezer!

It's all fished out. You have to have specific numbers to get much.

You could try trolling the ledge, and maybe jig the yellow cans but that's about it.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #522
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,997
Greetings,
Mr. frg. GREAT news. I'm happy for ya'll. Enjoy. Fishing? Right out in front mon. Fish the drop off. The reef is about 120' and drops to ??? (real deep) very, very fast. Fish this edge. Be warned, if you stray too far in from the edge, you'll spend all day unhooking barracuda.
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #523
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,854
FrGeorge, you can always troll over and back, and you can always go out to look for weed lines (the yellow Sargassum weed you see floating on the blue water). There could well be some dolphin (MahiMahi) hanging around. The little schoolies are a lot of fun. Some times some little blackfin tuna. Now, that would really be some fun.

Ask the marina if they can fix you up with a 3 or 4 trolling leaders. Just put the lines out, cruise around about 5 knots, and see what you can find. Enjoy. If the fish aren't around, it's still makes for a great day.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #524
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
Happy to hear the crossing was successful! That's a big step you just made IMO-- more than I've done.

Congrats!
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:17 PM   #525
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
I could use some info on where to fish here in Bimini. I refuse to drift again and Rick running aground and I understand holding for anchoring is bad.

Hate to come over and not catch a single fish for the fanged freezer!
What type of fishing? have lots of suggestions in the area but do not want to bore you with types and area that your not interested in

by the way congrats on your crossing
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #526
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
Friar-great to hear the trip has started out on a high note! Enjoy the trip.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #527
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
What type of fishing? have lots of suggestions in the area but do not want to bore you with types and area that your not interested in



by the way congrats on your crossing

Would love to catch snapper, dolphin and / or tuna. Anything good to eat is fine by me.
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #528
Veteran Member
 
SailorFromRI's Avatar
 
City: Edgewood, RI
Country: USA!
Vessel Name: Kittiwake
Vessel Model: Pearson 31-2
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 46
Just read all 27 pages lol. What an awesome story! Congratulations on your new life!! Wishing you fair winds, following seas and a mahi mahi on the end of your line!

This story was sort of a divine intervention to me. I was contemplating taking on a project boat despite all the good advice I got on here to run away lol. Something about your journey really help it "click" for me and we just walked away this morning. So thanks!
SailorFromRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #529
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
Would love to catch snapper, dolphin and / or tuna. Anything good to eat is fine by me.
Come out of Bimini cut and head south. Put your spread out as you clear the pass. Troll to the dark water and work that edge south. Keep an eye out west of you for birds and breaking fish. If you have a radar use it to find the birds. Find the birds you will find the fish.

We have caught marlin, tuna, dolphin, sails, wahoo, cobia and kings all within a mile of the beach. The west side of the gulfstream is right there and that combined with the ledge make Bimini a great fishing place.

For the bottom feeders, head to Cat Cay. Just north of Cat Cay is an area where you will see the commercial dive boats. Stay clear of the boats set up a drift in 90' using live bait. We have caught numerous LARGE mutton snapper in this area.

Also a great area to yellowtail. Need to anchor for that and have lots and lots of chum.

If you hit a school of Dauphin use 2 poles always leave one fish in the water while hooked or the school will run

Several times I hired a local for the day just for the knowledge negotiate the price down to half what the first quote is and then give them a tip at the end of the day if you go that route

Also bait prices very so shop around

Another thing I found is if your getting to many cudas move to a little bit shallower spot
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #530
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorFromRI View Post
Just read all 27 pages lol. What an awesome story! Congratulations on your new life!! Wishing you fair winds, following seas and a mahi mahi on the end of your line!

This story was sort of a divine intervention to me. I was contemplating taking on a project boat despite all the good advice I got on here to run away lol. Something about your journey really help it "click" for me and we just walked away this morning. So thanks!
Hi George - Just a side note here:

You used to preach at the podium... now you and boat and wife and dog give great sermons on/about living with the water (see last paragraph above). Things don't really change... they just appear too!

God knows your heart... (similar to as does your wife - lol)

Art -
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #531
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
...Come out of Bimini cut and head south. Put your spread out as you clear the pass. Troll to the dark water and work that edge south...
Good advice. This was Lena last month just north of Gun Cay at 9 am. Even Morgan had fish for dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	42145  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #532
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hi George - Just a side note here:

You used to preach at the podium... now you and boat and wife and dog give great sermons on/about living with the water (see last paragraph above). Things don't really change... they just appear too!

God knows your heart... (similar to as does your wife - lol)

Art -

Well, I tell ya. We sure have been blessed and our short journey has already been more of a blessing than we could have asked for.

I am humbled that someone would read my ramblings and be inspired or moved. I guess it's true the Lord uses children and fools ( like me) to teach wisdom.

So grateful for all the comments and help along the way.

If you read this, and do begin a cruising life, I can tell you with all certainty that you will learn more, and meet more friends than you ever imagined would be possible! You will also heal your soul!

God Bless!
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #533
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437070072.767430.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	42146bimini Blue Water is a great place to tie up here in Bimini. All Active Captain comments are pretty much spot on!
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #534
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Couple more pics from Bimini.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437070633.377393.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	42147Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437070654.594838.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	42148
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #535
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Good advice. This was Lena last month just north of Gun Cay at 9 am. Even Morgan had fish for dinner.
If she reeled that one it she worked for here dinner
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #536
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Good advice. This was Lena last month just north of Gun Cay at 9 am. Even Morgan had fish for dinner.

Oh my word. That's what I'm talking about!!!!
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #537
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
Well, I tell ya. We sure have been blessed and our short journey has already been more of a blessing than we could have asked for.

I am humbled that someone would read my ramblings and be inspired or moved. I guess it's true the Lord uses children and fools ( like me) to teach wisdom.

So grateful for all the comments and help along the way.

If you read this, and do begin a cruising life, I can tell you with all certainty that you will learn more, and meet more friends than you ever imagined would be possible! You will also heal your soul!

God Bless!
Dear FG - You are way past the point of a guess! You are proof in da pudden!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #538
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
We made it back last Friday from Bimini. Sea was near glass and just beautiful. Once again the old girl ran like a Singer sewing machine; not a hiccup. The autopilot still refused to behave though so that moves to top of the list before we go back!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437441266.751577.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	42299
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #539
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,997
Greetings,
Mr. frg. Congratulations on your first successful adventure which I'm sure will be the first of many. I can sense the accomplishment and happiness in your post. Hey, any fish?
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #540
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,986
FG - You and the Admiral and your pooch should be the poster family for newbie pleasure boaters!
__________________

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida, george and betty jo, live aboard, moving

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012