Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #481
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Seems to me the kids ought to be paying for your travel. You're the only reason they're even here. So they owe you big time, right?
I know if they could, they would.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #482

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
When all 10 kids and grandkids came walking down the dock towards the boat someone on the dock told me, "Ah yes. I love my children too. I love it when they come see me and then I love to see em go!"

We're at the latter stage now. God bless em.

Let me include a quick update on my prop situation. The estimate for repair of both props is just over $800. This is in addition to thee $300 to get them off and back on. Still keeping my pride in my pocket where my wallet used to go.

For the other new captains out there that might be following this thread, I offer these items for viewing so that you might avoid my mistakes:

1) These big boats are not your Daddy's pontoon boat.
2) Stay in marked channels and pay attention to the depth sounder.
3) Know your draft
4) even the smallest mistakes are costly when the item has "Marine" anywhere in the title!

Fair seas and God Bless.

frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #483

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
When all 10 kids and grandkids came walking down the dock towards the boat someone on the dock told me, "Ah yes. I love my children too. I love it when they come see me and then I love to see em go!"

We're at the latter stage now. God bless em.

Let me include a quick update on my prop situation. The estimate for repair of both props is just over $800. This is in addition to thee $300 to get them off and back on. Still keeping my pride in my pocket where my wallet used to go.

For the other new captains out there that might be following this thread, I offer these items for viewing so that you might avoid my mistakes:

1) These big boats are not your Daddy's pontoon boat.
2) Stay in marked channels and pay attention to the depth sounder.
3) Know your draft
4) even the smallest mistakes are costly when the item has "Marine" anywhere in the title!

Fair seas and God Bless.
Hey Father, I find it quite impressive your fast climb in the boat learning curve! From student to teacher in 2 months!!!! Really have enjoyed your shared journey from dirt to water! I will have all grandkids/kids on board for the 4th..looking forward to having them.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #484
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'll second Mr. rc's sentiments. If I may be so bold to add 1 additional "heads up" item to your list: 5) Do not leave the helm unattended whilst underway.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'll second Mr. rc's sentiments. If I may be so bold to add 1 additional "heads up" item to your list: 5) Do not leave the helm unattended whilst underway.

Absolutely!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #486
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
If you want to polish your props it is better to do it off the boat, then in the sand at low tide!

Do you think you may have damaged the shafts? If after installing your spares, you still have a vibration, check the shafts and couplings.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
If you want to polish your props it is better to do it off the boat, then in the sand at low tide!

Do you think you may have damaged the shafts? If after installing your spares, you still have a vibration, check the shafts and couplings.

I am praying the shafts are ok. Diver said cutless bearings seemed fine but, as you said, I can't be sure until props are back on. I sure do not want to have to haul her out.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #488
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
God! George... We should have had further phone about what ta do after you close da deal! You are learning well (but somewhat costly) on your own personal up-curve boating-experience graph.

Another IMPORTANT item about boating is the "punch list" of things to do (or keep track-of / record on) when coming aboard, while aboard, when going off board.

Reason for this is to keep all boat items in best condition and to minimize chances for unexpected problems or even (God forbid) severe, costly problems such as major mechanical breakdown or ultra-catastrophes such as fire.

Wish I had time to list the basics. Search feature in TF will provide previous threads dealing with such.

Perhaps others will chime in here to clarify / list what I just began.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
God! George... We should have had further phone about what ta do after you close da deal! You are learning well (but somewhat costly) on your own personal up-curve boating-experience graph.

Another IMPORTANT item about boating is the "punch list" of things to do (or keep track-of / record on) when coming aboard, while aboard, when going off board.

Reason for this is to keep all boat items in best condition and to minimize chances for unexpected problems or even (God forbid) severe, costly problems such as major mechanical breakdown or ultra-catastrophes such as fire.

Wish I had time to list the basics. Search feature in TF will provide previous threads dealing with such.

Perhaps others will chime in here to clarify / list what I just began.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

Thanks Art my friend!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashwillie View Post
the saying goes,you havent been around, until you go agroundLOL
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #491

Props not back today. Feels so strange to be on a boat that can't move. Me no Rikey!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #492
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Props not back today. Feels so strange to be on a boat that can't move. Me no Rikey!
FrG, at least no-one's called you a sirry irriot...
Old 06-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #493

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434170086.252994.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	41068thats me!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:58 AM   #494
Guru

I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, an "indiscretion" or two were more or less inevitable. Think how well you coped in that challenging slip.
A highly experienced and competent former diesel guy, lured by $ from marine to fixing engines on land, said he hated leaving a boat in an inoperable condition. He had a point, maybe you are experiencing something similar, it just feels wrong.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #495
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, an "indiscretion" or two were more or less inevitable. Think how well you coped in that challenging slip.
A highly experienced and competent former diesel guy, lured by $ from marine to fixing engines on land, said he hated leaving a boat in an inoperable condition. He had a point, maybe you are experiencing something similar, it just feels wrong.
""" I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, """ Agreed x 10!

May I suggest Gentle, Gentle / Patience, Patience are operative words in most cases of boat handling. If a problem arises and there is not likelihood of sinking, immediate oncoming, damaging crash, or loss of life and limb... tis better to think things over than to too quickly react. That method might save dollars and could keep bigger smiles on all aboard.

BTW, Dear Friar George - When way in the future you get into Heaven... Remember that going from full on Earth living to eternity kickback might result in certain indiscretion's too. If you ever get grounded up there... just remember the tide will rise! "..., thy will be done."
Old 06-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
""" I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, """ Agreed x 10!

May I suggest Gentle, Gentle / Patience, Patience are operative words in most cases of boat handling. If a problem arises and there is not likelihood of sinking, immediate oncoming, damaging crash, or loss of life and limb... tis better to think things over than to too quickly react. That method might save dollars and could keep bigger smiles on all aboard.

BTW, Dear Friar George - When way in the future you get into Heaven... Remember that going from full on Earth living to eternity kickback might result in certain indiscretion's too. If you ever get grounded up there... just remember the tide will rise! "..., thy will be done."

Gentle and steady as she goes. Aye aye Sir! And thank you for the kind words.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #497
Guru

"Take the plunge", expect to get wet. Some "know alls" will disagree, but we are all learning, always.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #498
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
"Take the plunge", expect to get wet. Some "know alls" will disagree, but we are all learning, always.
Every Day!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #499

Props coming back tomorrow. Can't wait. We have had to just sit here and watch everyone else head to the Bahamas! Never again....I hope!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #500
Art
Guru

Quote:
Props coming back tomorrow. Can't wait. We have had to just sit here and watch everyone else head to the Bahamas! Never again....I hope!
Friar G - Never is a BIG word! But, I bet cha in this case and context it may be possible to attain... due to your recent learning experience. Always keep an eye on the depth sounder... too!

Tags
florida, george and betty jo, live aboard, moving