Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #201
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
George - The following song is TRUE when you purchase a "new" to you boat [especially your first one]!

PS: If at all possible: Be there and listen carefully, take notes during all surveys (marine and mechanical). As a new boater you should be able to learn a bunch of important stuff!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #202
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Welcome Friar George and Betty Jo!
Now you need to name your boat and that involves family, friends and lots of adult beverages.

I would like to propose that the good Friar could be the unofficial (or official) Friar for TF? He could bless our fleet each year on the first day of spring?
Agree...
Welcome - Congratulations on new boat and appointment as Chaplain

Highly recommend following nautical tradition.
We have renamed 3 boats now and followed the tradition with very good results... I know others that scoffed at the tradition and didn't fair as well.

Our marina combined our "annual blessing of the fleet" with renaming of new boats - managed to get everyone involved with costumes (togas) and all!
This stuff is FUN!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 2013_9_6 C.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	38501   Click image for larger version

Name:	023 C.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	38502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101 C.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	38503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 2013_9_34 C.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	38504  

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #203
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
General question...If Mr. frg is to be the friar does he have to get one of these?

Good golly. He needs a bigger boat already and he hasn't even had his sea trial yet...Decisions, decisions....

Old 03-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #204

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
[QUOTE=RT Firefly;319055]Greetings,
With the possibility of this being moved to OTDE will Mr. frg's machinations include, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist and assorted other denominational rites? I have no problems with a "blessing" of the fleet but we don't want to leave anyone behind do we?

As a Fire Chaplain I have to include all religions. That is what Chaplains do. There should be absolutely no proselytizing. If certain rites of other religions need be performed, we collaborate with Chaplains of that particular religion, i.e., funeral, marriage rites, etc.

No worries
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #205

Taking the Plunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
General question...If Mr. frg is to be the friar does he have to get one of these?

Good golly. He needs a bigger boat already and he hasn't even had his sea trial yet...Decisions, decisions....

That's funny. My wife and I sold our hot dog cart before moving down here. We ran an on the side catering biz called Donny's Dogs. Hum. I wonder....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427204839.583224.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	38505
Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #206
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Friars fries? Mustard, relish, blessings?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #207

Ah hem....back on topic:

We are scheduled for haul out and sea trial April 1 and that ain't no April Fools joke! If all goes well we will own her April 13.

Slips falling into place and already have insurance lined up.

We are going back for another look with my Son and grand kids this Thursday. The Admiral is anxious to take some measurements. I guess u know what that means. My poor wallet already hurts!

I will post some photos after the visit.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #208
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Congratulations: Don't forget booze for Neptune.

A good opportunity for a party!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #209

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Greetings,
With the possibility of this being moved to OTDE will Mr. frg's machinations include, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist and assorted other denominational rites? I have no problems with a "blessing" of the fleet but we don't want to leave anyone behind do we?
Further do the atheist/agnostic bunch get a...

?????
Give me a break. PC BS needs to be in OTDE, not here.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #210
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Just went through the YW listing. She is purdy indeed!
A few observations: It appears ALL exterior teak has been painted over. Now this is either a blessing or a curse. Blessing: little to no maintenance, "cleaner" look, easier overcoat if necessary. Curse: Why was this done? What is the paint hiding? Some prefer the contrast of dark teak coloring against the white paint.
Lots of messy rattle can "tune up" in the ER. Again, what defects, if any, is the PO trying to hide?
Take a careful look at inaccessible spots. This is where a digital camera held a arms length in behind stuff and into cubby holes comes in handy. Can't see behind something? The camera can. Make notes as to what each picture is. Don't lose the notes (don't ask me why).
Also inspect typical areas of leakage like under windows or around fittings. Have "decorative" moldings been added? Have these areas been painted or over veneered? Are there glops of sealant/caulking around anything both inside and outside. Has silicone sealant been used anywhere?
What do the through hulls look like? Are they easily movable? Are the hoses in serviceable condition and well clamped?
Given your medical condition, age and physical size(NO insult or offense intended, we all are what we are) can you readily reach and service outboard areas of the motors?
As you're fully aware, GET A GOOD SURVEY!!!
Oh, did I mention...do NOT allow emotions to enter into ANY aspect of inspection or negotiations. Up until the ink dries on both the sales receipt and your $100 bills, be fully prepared to walk away.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #211
Art
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. frg. Just went through the YW listing. She is purdy indeed!
A few observations: It appears ALL exterior teak has been painted over. Now this is either a blessing or a curse. Blessing: little to no maintenance, "cleaner" look, easier overcoat if necessary. Curse: Why was this done? What is the paint hiding? Some prefer the contrast of dark teak coloring against the white paint.
Lots of messy rattle can "tune up" in the ER. Again, what defects, if any, is the PO trying to hide?
Take a careful look at inaccessible spots. This is where a digital camera held a arms length in behind stuff and into cubby holes comes in handy. Can't see behind something? The camera can. Make notes as to what each picture is. Don't lose the notes (don't ask me why).
Also inspect typical areas of leakage like under windows or around fittings. Have "decorative" moldings been added? Have these areas been painted or over veneered? Are there glops of sealant/caulking around anything both inside and outside. Has silicone sealant been used anywhere?
What do the through hulls look like? Are they easily movable? Are the hoses in serviceable condition and well clamped?
Given your medical condition, age and physical size(NO insult or offense intended, we all are what we are) can you readily reach and service outboard areas of the motors?
As you're fully aware, GET A GOOD SURVEY!!!
Oh, did I mention...do NOT allow emotions to enter into ANY aspect of inspection or negotiations. Up until the ink dries on both the sales receipt and your $100 bills, be fully prepared to walk away.
Ahoy Boat-Searcher George!

RT gives excellent advice. Follow it...

If I may add - Be VERY Careful to have the stringers checked for rot in their wood interior form if that boat was built in that way (some had close cell foam) and especially if the wood interior was meant for structural stability and not just a mold where FRP was well integrated into boat's bottom. Also, check the transom for rot as some boats had solid FRP bottom and hull sides but cold-lam transom.

Cheers! - Art
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #212
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. Ns. A bit touchy last evening? I think Mr. frg answered my query quite well in his post #204 and I feel confident that he can "bless" the fleet in such a manner as to include any and all deities/powers/controllers/overseers and FSM's in an all encompassing manner. PC has little to do with my comment. Simply being polite and considerate.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #213

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
George,

I started a more extensive reply yesterday, with pictures, but my computer failed me.

RT gives great advice, but unfortunately, some reason that beautiful boat is still on the market. When I bought mine, most of these folks would have shook their heads regarding the condition. It is old, but was mostly original, solid, and nothing I could not live with. The "features" and the Price sold me.

One of the features, and my question to you, is Transom Dog access.
Do you have a good way to get Patrick on and off the boat? This was a huge driver for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Sun.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	38564  
Old 03-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #214
Scraping Paint

City: -
RTF brings up a major consideration and that is engine room access. Put simply, can an operator get to the components in the engine room that might need attention or repair underway? These include pumps, filters, seacocks, belts, hoses, and shaft packing glands.

This kind of access becomes REALLY important in my opinion if the boat has only one engine. With a multi-engine boat if a problem requires an engine to be shut down one can keep going on the remaining engine(s) and deal with the problem, or hire someone to deal with it, when one's in port.

With a single-engine boat you either fix the problem yourself or you come home on the end of a potentially expensive rope. And if you can't physically get to the problem, you can't fix it.

I think RTF's caution is one of the most critical items on the "should we buy this boat" question list, and I suspect it's the most overlooked item, particularly with first-time buyers who often get caught up in the color of the setee cushions, the nice stateroom setup, and the pretty teak veneer on the "walls."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #215
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Fr. Geo,

Here's an article posted in the Californian section on the Californian 42 LRC.

There are also Californian owners posting in the Californian Section who might have some insight for you. Here's a thread discussing the 42 flooring with some of the posters.

42 LRC Teak and Holly Floor Removal

I've never been on a 42 LRC but hear it's very similar to the 37/38. Edelweiss is a resident expert on that vessel and could probably share lots of good info with you. He's owned his 37 since it was new.

Good luck on your surveys and sea trial. Ask away if you have any questions or need any help in the process!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #216
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
One key rule, in fact the most important rule, not yet mentioned:

If the Admiral is happy with the boat, you will be happy with the boat!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
One key rule, in fact the most important rule, not yet mentioned:

If the Admiral is happy with the boat, you will be happy with the boat!

Truer words were never spoken!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #218

So excited about survey and sea trial next week. Bidding prayers for everyone's safety and a happy conclusion to our boat search!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #219
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
If the trials go south, do not let emotion make your decsion for you. Keep commomn sense about you. Good Luck this next week...
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #220
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
If the trials go south, do not let emotion make your decsion for you. Keep commomn sense about you. Good Luck this next week...
Ditto X 10 - To A S-D's cautionary statement "... do not let emotion make your decision for you."

Purchase of an incorrect boat, especially for a newbie with age on his bones who is stretching to limits of available capital, can become disastrously financially and health-wise catastrophic. Can we spell "A Real - Bummer!"

Think very carefully regarding all parameters before you plunk down that chunk of capital, to seal the deal. If after all the surveys, tests, and your own thoughts you feel the price is simply too high then do not be bashful for stating so and under guidance of knowledgeable boat-wise individuals make your reduced offer. You are getting into some real "horse trading" steely eyed deliberations now.

Before you make final decision of yes take at least a night or two to sleep on it. These are my recommendations, YRMV!

George - We've spoken on phone and I know you have your head together. In the sentence I place above... "Purchase of an incorrect boat..." The word incorrect spans the gauntlet of reasons why any boat may be "incorrect" for the purchaser.

Super Duper Best Luck!

Art

PS: If you like, keep us a breast as items unfold. Posted statements accompanied by pictures can tell a thousand words. Although my next week is over burdened busy there are many on TF that may be of guidance while you move forward; I will do my best to read any posts.

Tags
florida, george and betty jo, live aboard, moving