Which Style Trawler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I moved this to the General Discussion Forum....sorry.

Tony B

-- Edited by Tony B on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 05:14:07 AM

Tony B
I have been living on my boat for 16 years now.
Love the aft cabin version as it gives good living / sleeoing space try for walk around bed, and also as long as there is not too much wasted accomodation forward.
This area will only be used for storage or visitors and these should not be encouraged.
They are like fish, they go off after about 3 days.
If living aboard, I have found you need a good space for your computer etc and after 15 years of having mine on the saloon table eventually set up an office in the fwd cabin.
I don't think 40 ft is too big for a couple, you will appreciate the extra bit of space.
If you see a good boat in this range with a raised pilot house give it some consideration as it increases your internal space considerably, but also your windage.
As you probably all boats are a compromise.

Thanks for the reply. The reasons you mentioned above are exactly why I like the aft cabin version better.

Tony B

* My two cents worth. I looked at sail, but didn't like the down inside feeling. I looked at both aft cabin and sedan trawlers and came to the conclusion that most of my time would be spent on the flybridge, in the salon and on the back deck. The sleeping*accomidations on a sedan are spartan compaired to an aft cabin and if you have guests they are right next to you in the front v birth, plus* there is only one head.

* You can walk completely around the out side of the cabin without having to climb or hang onto the side, but best of all once docked just walk out the back door open the transom door and right onto the dock. When visiting another marina or anchoring out just plop down in a chair on the aft deck and enjoy the view and a brew.

** All of this was in 1986, I traveled the east coast several**times that year looking at various boats and finally closed the deal on a Marine Trader 40' single 120 Lehman sedan in Jan of 87, I still have it and still love it. I will admit that every now and then the I get the bug for 50' wide body, however a quick*reality check tells me that it would be to big for me to maintain and*would have*handling issues for a couple.* Now in my middle 60's the advantage of the walk around and boarding are really coming home.

Old Stone wrote:
JT - You have a great model MT. Easy as pie to pilot and dock. I have the 50 Widebody, and I don't think you'd have any trouble piloting her, but docking is the problem. With a crew of one, you can do it relatively easily, but alone is tough only because you are too high from the dock to get to the lines. No wind or current, no problem because it does not move around much, but in an opposing wind, it is a handful. You are spot on about maintenance issues though. Compared to your 40, the list is very long. After having a vessel since 1987, you must know every nook and cranny of her, and every system as well as you know your own body. One of the main reasons I am such a Marine Trader fan is their simplicity. Here's to another happy 20 years aboard for you!
*Carl, been missing you.* Have you decided where you are going to wind up your southern trip this fall?

* Thank you Carl.* That is true, there are lots of opportunities when owning and maintaining any boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom