Storing Medications Aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've looked in the library for this, if I missed it, I apologize for being redundent. We are in the planning stages of hopping offshore for extended periods of time. We both have medication needs. What is the best way to store meds in the humidity of the islands?
Thanks for the help everybody....I'm learning so much here.

Sara

Antibiotics don’t take like the heat so we rotate those annually. All the other meds are stored in their bottles from the pharmacy and we’ve never lost any due to humidity in 20 years. If you need to keep something cool, refrigerate, don’t freeze. When we left on our first trip in 1998 (out of the country for six years) we worked with a x military doctor who set us up. He spent most of his career in the tropics and was a great resource.

Edit: I wouldn’t repackage any pharmaceuticals. We’ve been boarded several times and we’ve never had an issue with any prescriptions including narcotics. We have given lists of what is in our medical kit.

Last edited:
I recommend a full medical kit containing all the items you might need for offshore cruising. Then it all should be stored in a dry location, at least relevantly climate controlled.

You didn't say if you'd likely have guests, but if so, they'll also have medications and medical issues.

As stated, all medications in original packaging. Also, if you get a kit with some medications for the boat and emergencies, you now have his, hers, guests, and boat's medications and you need to keep inventory and usage records like a doctor's office might do. You should be able to provide a listing of all medications on board.

-Keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Ensure that they are clearly labeled with your full passport name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage.
-Bring copies of all prescriptions, including the generic names for medicines.
-Leave a copy of your prescriptions at home with a friend or relative in case you lose your copy or need an emergency refill.
-Pack a note on letterhead stationery from the prescribing doctor (preferably translated into the language understood at your destination) for controlled substances, and injectable medicines, such as EpiPens and insulin.

Research any destinations as some US drugs are not legal elsewhere. Sudafed, Codeine, Tramadol, Benadryl, Adderall, Ritalin, and Ambien are a few drugs that can be problematic. Countries like Japan have very rigid prohibitions.

I would, as much as possible, not carry any of the meds on shore or on planes. Keep them secured and managed on your boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom