Old 01-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #101
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
A full stand up engine room being the ideal but from a practical standpoint one of my non negotiable must haves on our next boat will be easy to access mechanicals. If the access is not easy for "me" to comfortably work in there will not be a next boat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #102
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
I've only ever had "engine spaces" in sailboats, so my current ER is a dream. Now that I've been so spoiled, I never want to go back! I tell people I don't have room (get it?) to complain about doing maintenance in the ER anymore. Of course I've also been told by taller friends (I'm all of 5' 6") that the height is kind of wasted on me...

Here's a video still of the Cheoy Lee 46 ER from the Wallas Heater Installation video we just did:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 12.38.22 PM.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	36545  

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #103
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I'm with Mr. H on this one. Standing on the keel with one's butt hard by the pots and pan's drawer and knees resting on the valve cover do NOT an engine ROOM make. It's a crawl space period. A proper ER has a vertical DOOR with which to enter and exit and enough vertical space to stand upright without slouching or stooping. The ER size and configuration should allow EASY regular inspections whilst underway. I'm perfectly willing to allow the "crawlers" to describe the ease with which they can access the mechanical spaces but again, a ROOM it is not!

One of my next projects will be to instal a couple of cameras to keep tabs on our ER while underway AND while crew members are doing their regular ER checks while underway. Currently, if the crew members happen to slip and/or fall whilst in the ER, there is no way I would know.
Mr. M. Now THAT'S an ER!!!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #104
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hollywood you're right. I meant it as a joke. I've never called Willy's engine space an "engine room" as it obviously isn't a room. Engine compartment is what I usually call it.

Wasn't trying to sneak one by.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #105
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Irish Lady is all crawl around. The only place to stand is directly in front of the engine if the hatch is removed. The other 2 hatches over the engine do not help access at all because the openings are over the engine, not the deck path.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put aluminum diamond plate decking in a crawl around ER was truely evil. Knee pads are essential gear.
That said, access to do essential PM is not bad.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #106
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hey, Hey... I take exception to that, and so should Mark and Eric... as well as others on TF. Regarding: "(opening hatches to be able to stand don't count)"

"Engine Room" - can also = just that - "Comfortable Room" to service "Engine".

Especially coming from an owner belonging to the engine "crawl-space" officialdom!

Kidding aside... I feel for you. That is one of my tallest (pun intended) requirements for any boat I purchase. Must be able to stand erect in engine area and have at least reasonably comfortable/ready access to engine(s) as well as other items. There are several boats that I felt were real nice... but would need extensive alterations to get hatches made into salon floor for "Comfortable Room" to service "Engine". That factor stopped my purchase on two boats. One a Chris Craft and one a Tollycraft.

Happy Engine-"Room" Daze! - Art

Oh I can open hatches over the engine to open the overhead in the E.S. to lessen the cave like area .. but one needs to be a contortionist to get down into it without burning ones manhood to a crisp if the engine has been running. Luckily there is a hatch back in the salon that one can go down and get around to the genset and the main.

One of my winter projects is to finish the linear actuators I am installing to lift both of the big hatches so I can look down onto the main with a flick of the switch while underway without getting off the pilot chair!

My issue is I have had a great E.R. and have spent a fair amount of time on a boats that have real engine rooms that allow unlimited access to all the mechanicals... But is is very rare on a sub 50' boat

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #107
Veteran Member

City: Winterport
Thanks so much everyone. Leaving Maine today for Trawlerfest. Can't wait to see all those engine rooms
Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #108
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hmmm. Don't be disappointed if you can't actually see all the engine rooms. It must be pretty tough for the sales people to pull hatches on those without strand up engine rooms. Take pics. Have fun!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #109
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
...There's a catch though. Gotta spread my legs apart over the little engine. Over twice the open hatch area as Mark though. ...
Eric, you've forgotten that the Coot has hatches allowing access to either side of the engine and its top. Battery boxes on either side make great seats.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #110
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Eric, you've forgotten that the Coot has hatches allowing access to either side of the engine and its top. Battery boxes on either side make great seats.
Mark: Do you have any pictures on how you access your transmission and stuffing box. It looks like you do have good engine access for service.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #111
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Mark: Do you have any pictures on how you access your transmission and stuffing box. It looks like you do have good engine access for service.
Access to transmission is from the engine compartment.

There are hatches in the saloon floor accessing shaft and stuffing box which are inches from saloon floor and hull. No photos, however.

My engine mechanic likes the boat.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #112
Veteran Member

City: Baltic Sea
Quote:

My engine mechanic likes the boat.
Your mechanic is not the only one, I like your boat too ;-)
Cheers, Georg.
GeorgS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #113
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
No photos, however.

There has got to be a prize in this for Larry. Think that's the first picture request for the Coot in the history of TF that was not met with at least two angles!

Mark, you're slipping my friend

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #114
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

... Mark, you're slipping my friend
Nobody is perfect.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #115
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I have a vertical door in the v berth under the wheel house that I enter into engine area . I have to turn sideways but I can step in . Door is about 18" wide and around 5 ft tall . I have about a 2' x2' area where I can stand straight up soon as I step in . Then it's on the knees down each side of engine . Not to bad for 32 foot boat .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #116

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Nordhavn 62, from anchor tip to bustle it's 69', and still no stand-up engine room But we do OK. I guess it helps that both my wife and I are vertically challenged. I'm 5'8" and Jay is 5' 1". I haven't actually measured the height, so I'm gussing it's maybe a few inches under 5'

Although no where near the stand-up comfort of most newer Nordhavns, I actually like it. It's clean, bright & airy, and I sit to do most tasks. The only task where we've had to stoop-over was for the Valve Clearance adjustments prior to leaving for Hawaii. (photo 1) The other 2 photos show the space either side of the main engine.

The only way I'd ever get the space I dream about, would be to embark on a custom newbuild, which would likely have zero resale value.
But lets save that for another thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	? engine team.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	36702   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME port side.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	36703   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME starboard side.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	36704  
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #117
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Clean and well lit too!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #118
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Nordhavn 62, from anchor tip to bustle it's 69', and still no stand-up engine room But we do OK. I guess it helps that both my wife and I are vertically challenged. I'm 5'8" and Jay is 5' 1". I haven't actually measured the height, so I'm gussing it's maybe a few inches under 5'

Although no where near the stand-up comfort of most newer Nordhavns, I actually like it. It's clean, bright & airy, and I sit to do most tasks. The only task where we've had to stoop-over was for the Valve Clearance adjustments prior to leaving for Hawaii. (photo 1) The other 2 photos show the space either side of the main engine.

The only way I'd ever get the space I dream about, would be to embark on a custom newbuild, which would likely have zero resale value.
But lets save that for another thread
Beautiful boat . It's nice to know that dreaming doesn't stop even at a Nordhavn 62 .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #119
Veteran Member

City: Winterport
We had a wonderful time at Trawlerfest, getting back to Maine ahead of the coming blizzard. Saw lots of great boats. I did take pictures but have had some trouble uploading them. Suffice it to say we really liked the stand up engine room a used Nordhavn 47 that was at Trawlerfest. It was really easy to access and to get around. And the rest of the boat was great too.
Thanks again everyone
Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #120
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainetrawler View Post
We had a wonderful time at Trawlerfest, getting back to Maine ahead of the coming blizzard. Saw lots of great boats. I did take pictures but have had some trouble uploading them. Suffice it to say we really liked the stand up engine room a used Nordhavn 47 that was at Trawlerfest. It was really easy to access and to get around. And the rest of the boat was great too.
The Nordhavn 47' was one of our favorites also. We saw the 55' prior to the 47' but wasn't too impressed with the 55'. For the life of, I can't remember why.

Our other favorites were a Defever 50', the Krogen Express 52', Grand Banks Europa 42' and the Fountaine Pajot powercats.

We were only there for one day and decided to skip some the whales that were too big and order of magnitude over our budget. Come to think of it, most we looked at were an order of magnitude over our budget....sigh.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote