Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #61
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Generally though the boat has to be above 46' before a roomy ER can artfully be designed.
Know you said "generally," but I'd have to say the Defever 44 is an "Art-fully designed" exception to this rule -- and not just because we own one.

As for losing vertical space elsewhere from a standup ER, our salon has 6'6" headroom. We could probably be OK with a little less!

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #62
Veteran Member

City: Winterport
Its been absolutely great to get all this varied input. My husband and I are finally getting out of Maine to go look at many different boats at Trawlerfest in Florida in a few weeks. Can't wait to check out those engine rooms in particular And as we do, we will keep the valuable insight from this forum in mind.

Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #63
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
And post some pics please of some of the boats, and engine rooms, from Trawlerfest.

No need to post pics of the Florida warmth though. It will just make us Northerners suffer more.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #64
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
We also went during our search, and it was very helpful in seeing the differences between manufacturers. Even if the exact model you're looking into wasn't there you can tell much by seeing other models from that manufacturer.

Some of the seminars were very helpful as well btw.

Our trawler is in florida right now and we'll be back there next week. Can't wait to lose the jacket and gloves
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #65
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I was lucky enough to get aboard a Selene 36 last year and was very impressed with the engine room. I barely had to duck (6'1") and actually walked around the Cummins 330. Outside of the Great Harbour N-37, it was the best sub-40 ft. ER and utilities layout I've seen, and was a bit better than the Krogen 39.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selene ER door.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	36210   Click image for larger version

Name:	selene ER 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	36211   Click image for larger version

Name:	selene ER 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	36212  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #66
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Here is a pic of the DeFever 46 PH and the 49 Euro PH engine room. When you enter the ER door that is shown, there is about a one foot deep area where I can fully stand up. Then it tapers aft from about 5' to the lazarette door at 3.5' where I took the pic. If I need more room, I can remove the sole panels. I haven't had to do that yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1630.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	36241  
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #67
FF
Guru

I can not think of a greater waste of boat space (unless the boat is 75ft + ) than a ball room for an engine space.

Most engine work is PM , which is reduced by good engine choice , like having the service stuff on one side.

Most work in the ER is repairing crap , cheap systems choices , that would have been far easier to live with if the better gear or system was chosen.

Not common but the nicest ER I have ever seen was on a 65 ft MS named Feng Shuay that had done a couple of circumnavigations.

The engine room was in the BOW! as the engine (DD6-71) did not get sea sick from motion.

The Noisemaker and other gear was outboard in the wider part of the hull, easy to see and repair.

The rest of the vessel was dedicated to people , not iron and was very well done as she has interior room like it was 10 ft longer .

Today with engines 1/3 or 1/4 the weight this could easily be done as small as 40 45ft.

If like most folks you are going to purchase a used production cookie , you are stuck.

If a new build is in your future , finding a NA that is open to new ideas will be the only hassle.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #68
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I can not think of a greater waste of boat space (unless the boat is 75ft + ) than a ball room for an engine space.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #69
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
[QUOTE=angus99;297265]Know you said "generally," but I'd have to say the Defever 44 is an "Art-fully designed" exception to this rule -- and not just because we own one.

As for losing vertical space elsewhere from a standup ER, our salon has 6'6" headroom. We could probably be OK with a little less!

Art fully

great play on words
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #70
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
I guess it matters how you define "ball room." An ER sized for a normal adult (or two) to perform regular maintenance/repairs without turning into a pretzel is probably one of the best uses of space I can think of. Having been in numerous ERs before we bought our boat, I would never trade what we have for some of the cramped, inaccessible places I saw. But each to their own.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #71
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. I'd have my ER in the salon if it could be done. IMO, you can't have too much room in the ER and the easier it is to access, the better.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #72
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Even in a stand up ER there are STILL places that one needs arms 4' long with 6 elbow joints but still loads better than crawling around on hands and knees and still needing 4' arms.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #73
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I read threads like this just to torture myself. I have wet dreams of about a stand up engine room.
I'd even settle for a space where I could contort into and lie down alongside the engine. Anything other than hanging upside down while trying to change out an impeller from the cockpit above.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #74

City: Charleston, S.C.
Vessel Name: Elizabeth Ann ll
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 48 E. Sedan
Engine room

Engine room height not a problem for my helper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	36253  
rking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #75
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Standing up engine compartments are nice. But sadly most of the people that have them will probably hire the engine work done by others.
We all have engine compartments and work on our engines. The large ER is a blessing but at great cost. Both money and space. And one of the benefits is bragging rights over lesser boats and engine compartments.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #76
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
You guys that think having a stand up E.R. is a waste of space are nuts.

On Volunteer we had a stand up ( it was 6'.. I am 6-2 ) E.R. on both boats I have had since have crawlers.. and they SUCK big time.. once you have had that kind of access anything else pales by comparison.

The N57 I spend time on has a stand up around the engine and a crawler behind.. it works great. The N46 I am also spending time on has a crawler and it SUCKS. I do not look forward to the day I must crawl around to the STBD side of the engine to transfer fuel.. roasted skin will be the order of the day.

If you just do short cruises a crawler is fine... but multi 24hr cruises you need access to be able to get around all the stuff that is hot and that spins.. or you will get bit.

The E.R. on Carl's Delfin is one to dream about as far as access and more important SAFETY when doing E.R. checks.. after all isn't that what E.R. checks are all about.. Safety?

On reflection this may be a bit of a regional issue.. on the East Coast passages can be all made in day hops.. on the West there are some pretty long jumps that are made even longer if the river bars shut down.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #77
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
...... on both boats I have had since have crawlers.. and they SUCK big time.. once you have had that kind of access anything else pales by comparison.

Agreed

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #78
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Stand up engine room

I have a "kneeler" engine room. Entry through the lifted galley down steps will allow you in and I keep a foam knee pad for traveling on. The battery box allows me a seat if I'm working in that area- but I'm still slightly bent over to keep from bumping my head. Lifting the floor panels in the saloon give great access.
Last night while running some wiring- I had a "lay down" engine room" as my sore old 55 YO bode used the starboard engine for a bed😊Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000662.026385.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	36255Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000681.761173.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	36256Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000713.024029.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	36257

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 01-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #79
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000816.102363.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	36258

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 01-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #80

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Attachment 35943

Or you can get an engine room like mine with a bed it it! That way when you get tired from bending over working on the engine and cussing the builders for shoehorning it into the small space, you can take a nap!

(The engine is under the right side bed in the pic). Seriously. 😳
I'll see your bed and raise you a full galley! (engine behind stairs, entire enclosure lifts away to reveal 100% of engine)

But seriously, I was formerly employed by a Motor yacht builder (Admiral Marine Works - defunct). I spent lots and lots of time in the engine rooms of yachts that had "crawl type" engine rooms, "Stoop type" (around 5 feet), and full head room types.

The "full head room" engine rooms were the most comfortable and as a worker, being comfortable meant that I could focus on doing the best work possible. The "Stoop type" ER's were good also as many tasks were accomplished while stooped over anyway.

Unfortunately, while working in a crawl type ER's, the dominate thought on my mind was: "get me the hell out of here". This is not what you want people thinking about when they work on your boat.

Steve