City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420160986.161151.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	35943

Or you can get an engine room like mine with a bed it it! That way when you get tired from bending over working on the engine and cussing the builders for shoehorning it into the small space, you can take a nap!

(The engine is under the right side bed in the pic). Seriously. 😳

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
A stand up easy access makes it easy to check and do maintenance. I am in the engine daily. Being a single engine there is easy access to the engine. I like to physical check the engine room about hour so it easy in and out.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Don't worry, Oliver. Your time will come..... Enjoy it while you can...

I know, I know. It's nice to be able to move around easily, and when the time comes I'm going to miss it.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
For the cruising you want to do take a good look at a DeFever or two. Lots of ER and storage space. Daddyo on this forum routinely travels the East coast on the routes you named - in his DF. A really nice DF will be about $300K less than a really nice N47, if this matters to you.

The N47 is overbuilt for coastal cruising, that is why they are higher $$. If you are going to routinely do blue water cruising, go with the Nordhavn by all means.

A great boat in the N47 price range (USED) is the DF 56, but they are rare as hen's teeth and owners don't easily part with them.

As noted by DRB 1025' post, DF's are alive and well in the new build category.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Most of the boats with a standup ER will have a draft of 4.5 feet or more. A notable exception is the Great Harbours which have a draft of about 3 feet. If you plan to take the ICW, you will have to make some compromises and watch the tides with drafts above 3-4 feet.

I once dragged bottom in the ICW channel in Florida with a 24' Wellcraft stern drive.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Winterport
I can tell we are about to join a fabulous community; what great new neighbors - thanks to all of you for this incredibly helpful advice.
My husband plans on doing all most of the engine maintenance himself.
The furthest we are planning to cruise is the Bahamas and Nova Scotia. We are not planning to cruise the ICW.
I will definitely buy him a set of knee pads! We had not considered those other brands that have just been mentioned but I will begin researching them now. Also, we are enamored by John Deere engines from great experience with them on the farm.
We would like to be able to age in place on the boat and be able to cruise for the next 10 years for sure.
We hope to attend the Florida Trawlerfest later this month. So far we have only been on a Nordhavn 40.
So we are looking for a great safe reliable trawler for our cruising plans, with a stand up engine room and great liveability. Keep the advice coming please - it is all welcome. We need to get this right in a relatively short time frame - 6 months. This is because we didn't have the "sell everything move aboard a trawler" epiphany until late last October.
Mainetrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #27

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
The ER in the DF46 and the DF49 Euro have a small area in the forward portion where it is possible to stand up. But headroom gradually declines the further aft you go, with the lowest point about 3.5 feet, where I am able to comfortably sit and work on the generator or check the battery bank. And it comes standard with twin JD4045s. These are comfortable, safe, and economical coastal cruisers. Good luck in your search.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #28
FF
Guru

With a simple boat lifting a hatch to check everything after shut down works for us.

No need to visit for over 3 min , unless there is something to repair.

Far more important to me is having a large hatch for the engine , with a similar hatch in the overhead so the engine can be swopped out in little time.

Most working boats like a lobster boat can do an engine swop overnight , a weekend for a novice.

Every boat will need an engine replacement in time , disassembling a PH and paying for a months work gets nothing but a higher bill.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Almost identical ages and a knee replacement as well.

After 15 years we decided we needed a dinghy crane to reduce the physical labor or using block and tackle and an electric winch on the Krogen 42 boom. The other age limitation to look at is dockside access, are there transom doors and side access.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

More great points. I will add these features to our "must have" list.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #31
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The engine room on the centerline of our DF44 is perhaps 5'10" forward, tapering only slightly as you move aft. Our batteries are outboard of the engines, but I haven't found a job yet I couldn't access. A lot of internal volume for a boat in this size range, plus generous room in other places that matter--the sundeck, aft cabin and flybridge are full width and larger than on any mid-40s-ft boat I've been on. An amazing architectural feat by Arthur Defever. We know a guy with a DF48 who lowered his engine room floor slightly, taking advantage of the gap between the floor supports and the curve of the bilge. He's over 6 feet and can stand straight.

There is a 1999 Defever 44 named Gondola that has just come on the market that seems especially well maintained. No affiliation whatsoever.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 99,
Height aside THAT'S a nice ER!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #33
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We do not have a stand-up engine room, and I'd like one. OTOH, I would rank easy 360 engine access as more important than stand-up height. Full access to the overhead set is another I'd rank higher.

I can enter through a day hatch from the cockpit, crouch (just a little) until in place, and sit comfortably on a toolbox and do anything required on the inboard side of each engine. Outboard side... not so much... and using this approach, overhead set, not so much either. Minimal stand-up height wouldn't fix that.

OTOH, I can remove the hatches in the saloon sole, for complete access to the overhead set, top of the heat exchangers, etc... and so far, that's always been periodic in-port maintenance. With those hatches lifted, I have better access to the outboard sides, too, but that's still not perfect.

I would trade better outboard access for stand-up height.

Although having my cake and eating it too would be great!

-Chris
Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

So many great points that I had not considered. Wow - thanks!
We are so thrilled at this new year to be joining your ranks. No more Maine winters-
Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #35
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 99,
Height aside THAT'S a nice ER!
Thanks, Mr. RT. The PO took exceptional care of the ER. There's even more room without the oil bucket and tool boxes, which I'm replacing with a large tool chest opposite the genny.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. Mt. A Marine Trader 50' has 2 engine "rooms" with stand up height but I don't know how old that particular model may be. Definitely NOT built to Nordhavn standards or capabilities. One can remove the inboard bulkheads that allows almost unlimited access to parts of the engines. Just a thought.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post

HOLY CRAP!!!!

WANT!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Based on the tips we have been given, we are expanding our trawler search to the other kinds praised in this thread, instead of just focusing on Norhavn
and Kadey Krogen. Thanks so much.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #39
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!!

WANT!

Sorry 99 for stealing your thunder ---

Yes, we love our DFs for many reasons. On our 48 the overhead hatches are easily removed if one ever needed to change out some heavy iron or batteries. Normal ER access is through a heavy duty bulkhead door. Note the fuel manifold on the aft bulkhead, it manages four tanks (in the 48's case), 3 engines, fuel transfer and polishing if one desires.

The 44/50 and 48 DFs are aft cabins so ER height is a bit more than the PH designs, but lacking a few feet of additional ER length.

A well tended DF is a work of Art!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #40
Guru

City: gulf coast
In the older Hatteras MY with semi displacement hulls each engine had it own room. SO if making the engines comfy is your priority I suggest checking them out.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote