Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Liveaboards
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 AM   #1
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
St. Petersburg to Knoxville and back (Nautical Miles On Mariso)

This past May 2019 we had Mariso trailered up to Lake Hartwell in GA, in order to live aboard while being in close proximity to my mom, who lives about an hour south of Hartwell.

We also had several after-Hartwell long range cruising possibilities in mind, but knew that first we had to find out if we and our two old dogs could manage a liveaboard existence while far, far away from our own dock.

We had everything covered at the dirt home, with lawn service and a dear friend checking the house regularly.

I needed this trip. I needed to be distracted by learning how to live aboard this boat, and I needed to see more of my Mom. A few years back, I got knocked down pretty badly, suffering through three years of a travesty on top of a tragedy. Been carrying around what I call "the sorrows" ever since, and I have to find a way to shake it off.

At Hartwell we learned that Mariso is a great platform for living aboard with our two pooches. We explored the lake and made wonderful new friends at Hartwell Marina. Life was fairly simple because we had our car and could do our laundry at Mom's. And Mom loved having us there.

The best thing was that we got the boat organized. (I think Old Dan said it best: "A boat is a puzzle.") Once we figured out the most easily accessible stowage vs. the least accessible stowage, we had the liveaboard organization thing down pat.

I was surprised at first at how easy it was to transition from the dirt home to the boat.

Here are a few pics from our peaceful stay at Hartwell Marina:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	95624Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	95625Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Resized.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	95626Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Resized_ Hartwell.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	95627Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Dinghy Trip.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	95628

One afternoon when hubby Dan, Mom, and I were talking about my sister's upcoming medical treatments, we all simultaneously realized that hubby Dan and I could be of immense help to my sister if we moved the boat up to Knoxville to be near her.

It was amazing for us to be in a position to be able to do this. We are still growing accustomed to this retirement freedom.

We did struggle a bit to find a slip or transient dock near Knoxville. I must have called 30 marinas before I found one. And the marina said we had to sign a one- year contract, even though we only needed 3 months. Oh well. The purpose was worth it.

So, we had the boat pulled up to Knoxville. My only regret was that Mom never got up to Hartwell to see our boat, darn it.
Here's a photo of us following the boat into Knoxville:

Name:	6 20190627.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	95629

Louisville Landing Marina is located in Louisville, Tennessee, a few miles south of Knoxville.

In between assisting my sister, walking the dogs and regular boat maintenance, we found the time to take a few trips around Lake Louden. We discovered Myrtle's Fried Chicken and Beer in downtown Knoxville. We discovered two great dog parks that the pooches loved. Here are a few snapshots:

Name:	8 Fixing a leak.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	95630Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_155346 (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	95631Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	95632

But then, our blonde dog Lucy, became itchy and unhappy. We took her to a vet in Louisville, who prescribed Apoquel. But she started refusing to go back to the boat when we would walk her. She would lie down on the dock and look at me with those big brown eyes and her body language would say, "MOM, I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THE BOAT!"

I snapped a photo of her lying on the dock as hubby Dan was talking to a houseboater:

Name:	10 20190803.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	95633

Fortunately, Lucy's struggles did not start until a few days before my sister was due to finish her medical treatments.

Even more fortunately, I was able to arrange for our best friend to stay at our house with our dogs while we cruise downriver to Mobile and then home to St. Petersburg.

So we drove Lucy and Birdie back home, along with our boat trailer, and flew back to Knoxville. When we got home we took both girls to our longtime vet, and he discovered that Lucy had a urinary tract infection. So now I'm thinking she might be okay on the boat in the future!

I've been meaning to start this thread about our cruise down the Tennessee, Tenn-Tom, and Gulf since we started out, but we are already over a week into it. Those of you who have done it know how busy you are when you shove off on your first lengthy cruise, so please bear with me.

Hubby Dan has been making some very cool time-lapse videos of the river. I will be posting those, along with more photos.

I must mention, one of the most refreshing highlights of our trip so far was that fellow TF'er Scratchnsaw contacted us to stop by and see our boat. I did not know that he was a delivery captain for many years. We could have talked all night, and I think someday we will do just that.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:21 AM   #2
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
I was surprised at first at how easy it was to transition from the dirt home to the boat...

...It was amazing for us to be in a position to be able to do this. We are still growing accustomed to this retirement freedom...

...I've been meaning to start this thread about our cruise down the Tennessee, Tenn-Tom, and Gulf since we started out, but we are already over a week into it. Those of you who have done it know how busy you are when you shove off on your first lengthy cruise, so please bear with me...
I was also pretty pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I got on the boat in fairly short order. At least it was comfortable living-wise. The task of learning all her systems is still pretty daunting, but I found a home for everything without much trouble, and I like cooking and sleeping aboard etc...

I hope sister is doing well, and the pup is on the mend.

Sounds like your new lifestyle is working out nicely. I hope you have a great cruise, and I look forward to updates when you find the time. Cruising is busy work! I sometimes find myself thinking about starting a youtube channel like all those attractive young sailing couples, but I already have a full time job, and I've got a face for radio.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
You have some lovely cruising ahead of you, on the TN river alone. Enjoy!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Well done! Thanks for the report!
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Good to see you all making good use of the boat!

Are you planing to cross the Gulf or take the coastal route around the Big Bend?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Hope the dog is doing better, oh and your sister also. Sorry to hear about your problems. Enjoy the boat trip home.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: So nice to see you enjoying your boat. If anyone deserved to, you guys surely did. We love the TN River. I've only driven by Lake Hartwell, but it's so overlooked. People in Atlanta go to Lanier and I'd go to either then TN River or to Hartwell from Atlanta. Well, you hit both. I'm sure you enjoyed the cruise from Knoxville to Mobile. Such a beautiful change of pace.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #8

City: SOBX North Carolina
What a pleasure to visit , chat and view the job of transforming the hull into a comfortable and workable cruising hull. That cockpit is a place that I could spend hours if not weeks in just watching life go by without leaving it. ..safe passage on the rest of your trip..
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:06 AM   #9
Guru

Skipper’s Log

20-Sept-2019
through 12-October-2019

Upon our return to Knoxville on the morning of September 20 (after driving our dogs and boat trailer back home to St. Petersburg), we had only two hours to clean up and de-spider Mariso before we needed to get underway to PJ’s Landing boatyard, 20 miles downstream from Louisville Landing Marina.

Louisville Landing Marina has particularly high lights mounted up in the rafters of their covered slip docks, so the spiders literally blanket the underside of the marina roof. All kinds of bugs are attracted to lights, and spiders are attracted to bugs.

As a result of this lighting, we had live spiders and spider poo all over our upper deck and bimini every morning. While living aboard at each marina I spent every morning cleaning off spiders and spider poo, but it was 50x worse in Louisville than in Hartwell because all the bug-attracting lights were placed up high.

My morning cleaning kit consisted of a flyswatter, several rags, Amazing Roll-Off, a soft brush on a pole, and water hose. It was daily war.

At Louisville we had covered the solar panels with cheap Walmart bedsheets, to protect them from spider-poo, and on our departure day we just threw the sheets away. No time or desire to clean them. After two hours of boat cleaning and spider-swatting, we were finally underway.

Underway (!) after a long summer, heading west-southwest down the Tennessee River, we were both immensely pleased to have Louisville Landing behind us, a 4-5 week cruise ahead, and very pleasant cruising weather predicted with the temperatures just beginning to turn cool.

I am absolutely fascinated by some of the boathouses on this river. Some of these boathouses look nicer than our dirt home – yikes! Photos:

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	95789

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	95790

Our first planned stop was at PJ's Landing boatyard for a quick bottom paint refresher and installing our new props. Two days at most. Then back on the river and heading home.

Easy, deep channel into PJ’s Landing, which was a relief. I live up to my spirit name, “She Who Docks In Wind” and display nerves of steel as the depth moves up rapidly from 24 feet in the channel to 7 feet at the boatyard dock as I ease her into the slip. The boatyard owner, Brian, is a hoot.

Then, of course, The Dreaded Wrench is thrown into our Carefully-Laid Plans.

As the boatyard pulls Mariso out of the water, their hydraulic steering on their travelift begins to fail. They are able to lift Mariso to her spot in the yard (photos) before disassembling the travelift steering, but then the shaking of many heads commences. Uh oh.

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	95791

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	95792

We spent the next 21 freakin’ days on the hard waiting for a hydraulic shop to repair the travelift’s steering. (Twenty-One Days!)

Apparently, there must be only one hydraulic repair shop in all of Tennessee.

We utilized this unexpected time on the hard to do a second coat of bottom paint, thoroughly go through our supplies, provisions and spare parts, and ship a box of unneeded stuff (weight) back to St. Petersburg. We also eat out too frequently, spend more time with my sister, and make the best we can of the delay.

After some research, I bought a spray from Home Depot called Home Defense, and taking advantage of the boat being out of the river, donned long sleeves, long pants, gloves, hat and mask and sprayed the exterior of Mariso. The last of the creepy spiders were finally annihilated.

Delightfully, my mom decided to come up to Knoxville. While staying with my sister, Mom requests to visit the boatyard. My elderly, somewhat frail Mom crawled all over the boat, asked numerous astute boat questions, and bestowed the official Mom Seal of Approval upon Mariso. Photo of Mom and hubby Dan with Mariso in the boatyard:

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	95793

Aaaaand… as the days roll by, the weather forecast starts looking ominously cold at night. For me, a Florida native, anything below 55 degrees is too darn cold. Nights are predicted to be in the 40’s. Now it looks like we will be chasing warmer weather - and more transient dockage than we had planned, solely for the use of dock power - as we wend our way west and south. There is not yet a genset aboard Mariso.

Finally, the travelift is repaired on October 10th.

Launch day, October 11th, our first actual travel day on the “planned” trip (methinks I should always use scare quotes around the word “plan” from now on) arrives. Mariso is picked up by the travelift and gently placed in the water. Photos:

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	95794

Name:	07.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	95795

As hubby Dan walks down the dock to return the rental car to the airport, the very last chore before we embark, I jump up from the cockpit and call out to him, “Wait! We forgot to get our flu shots!”

So, we dash off to Walgreens for flu shots, which takes two hours, THEN to the airport to return the car, and then take a taxi back to the boatyard. Time, finally, to actually shove off, but it is now too late to make it to our charted (“planned”) anchorage before sunset. Plus, it is going to be cold for the next few nights.

Okay, quick change of "plan." We shove off, go through the Louden Lock, and cruise leisurely to Long Island Marina at MM (Mile Marker) 575, on the section of the Tennessee River known as Watts Bar Lake.

Hubby Dan is recording time-lapse videos of our trip. Here is the first one:

Narrow but well-marked channel into the marina. I am getting used to these private "cans" (ATON's) in use on the river. The Long Island Marina owner, Marla, is delightful, and her transient dock and bathrooms are exceptionally nice. This is one of the best parts of boating, the wonderful folks we meet everywhere on the waterways.

All tied up and hooked up to the power pedestal, we lower the screens around the cockpit to keep out the late season gnats, make dinner, watch a hockey game on our laptop, and go to bed. Oh, and our little ceramic heater keeps the cabin quite cozy all night.

We like this idea of transient dockage with the power. Hmm, with colder weather upon us, we might just have to rethink our anchorage “plans.”

And I must note, it is very odd to not have our dogs here with us. We miss them. We feel like hurrying home, instead of taking our time. It's a conundrum.

Next stop, Dayton, Tennessee, MM 505, to visit two old St. Petersburg friends with a new home in the mountains.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Old 10-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Sounds like the beginning of a great trip! Thanks for bringing us along.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Guru

We love the area you're cruising. If we were ever going to move inland or have a second home, that's where it would be. We saw one home on Lake Chickamauga that very much tempted us when we were there and the beautiful boathouses you mention were part of the reason. Grandfathered boathouses and docks have become very valuable. It's true on TVA lakes just as we encountered it in NC on Duke Power Lakes. When we bought the house there the lot and dock alone were most of the appraised value.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
Guru

Heading west on the Tennessee

Skipper’s Log

12 October 2019 through 15 October 2019
Mile Marker 575 to Inlet at Mile Marker 505

What makes this such a delightful trip is the placid waters of the Tenn River, which is more like a backyard kiddie pool when compared to our home waters of the Gulf and Tampa Bay.

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	96617

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	96618

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	96619

Amazingly, it only took experiencing two locks for me to stop feeling claustrophobic inside.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	96620

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	96621

Our only concern is anchorages – it would be unwise to anchor anywhere near the channel because of the chance of being run over by the barge traffic. Fortunately, there are two excellent books, Skipper Bob’s, and Alan Lloyd’s book, that contain splendid detail on all of the anchorages in the many inlets off the river. I want to explore others that are not in the books, that I have spotted on Google earth, since we have a 2-ft draft.

Having confidence in the reliability of your vessel is essential when the tugs go by, pushing their immense 9-12 cargo barges. (Oddly, these are referred to as a “tow” on the Tenn River.) We think we are pretty smart cookies for living aboard and doing our trial runs for 3 months before undertaking this journey. Repairing the hydraulic steering on our own was also a real confidence-booster. You'd think that with our boating experience, we would be old hands at this, but it's been so long since we have cruised unfamiliar waters we both have been experiencing a little anxiety. You would not believe how many checklists we have.

We learned quickly that in narrow channels of the river, it is advisable to hail the tug captain on 16, inquire whether he/she prefers us to pass them on the one or two whistle, and then comport ourselves accordingly. And so far, we’ve encountered only one tow that threw off a doozy of a wake. Here is a small one we passed on the one whistle.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	96622

Two of our oldest friends from our boating neighborhood have a new home on the mountain in Dayton, TN, and we have been looking forward to stopping here for two months.

We were all so glad to see one another again and they showed us all around their rural town, their beautiful new home, and took us to breakfast and dinners and a concert. Here is a photo of hubby Dan as we set out on the dinghy to meet them for dinner one evening.

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	96625

Our marina berth was Bluewater RV Park and Marina for four days. Cheerful spot. Mariso received lots of attention. My favorite comment was "Now THAT'S a rummy boat!"

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	96627

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	96624

Bluewater has nice bathrooms and showers, though they are not heated or air-conditioned. Hubby Dan availed himself of the showers there during the relative warmth of the day, but finicky me always prefers to shower on the boat.

Our Dayton friends have a 15-year old large dog, Maxwell, who I have been bonded with since he was a pup. We both cried tears of joy upon seeing one another. Maxwell is on his last legs, and I cried again when I bid farewell to the old boy. But we’ve been through this phase with two of our own pooches (our boat is named after them), and no one can stop the circle of life.

I will admit, the reason we stayed an additional day was because of a long hike followed by too much carousing at the park's grill patio the prior evening. Here is a photo of a spot on the hike up the mountain:

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	96626

In other words, we discovered that we needed an extra day to recuperate before we resumed our cruising routine at the helm and on watch. Yep, we must have needed to be reminded that we aren’t youngsters anymore!

Next destination: Hales Bar Marina, Mile Marker 431, where I've been told that a Wooden Boat Club often holds their yearly rendezvous.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Hubby Dan’s river video:

Old 11-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Excellent writeup! I could’t get the pics to load on my phone however.

Speaking of hailing barges, do you have AIS? When I was coming back from Florida to Texas on the ICW the barge traffic was thick from Louisiana and all through Texas. In narrow, curvy parts of the ICW AIS was super handy because I could “see” them on my plotter around a corner when I had no visual. Also, they would hail me by name most times when they saw me on AIS and warn me which side of the channel to be on, of if I needed to wait for them to come around a bend.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
Guru

Sounds like life is good aboard Mariso

Also, what'd that fella mean by a 'rummy' boat?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
Guru

Don, yes, Appalachicola to Steinhatchee. It is too shallow around the armpit of Florida to hug the shoreline.

Dude, yes , we have AIS and love it. As you note, it is a very helpful device for keeping our eyeballs on commercial traffic. Sorry you couldn't see the photos; I got a great shot of a grinning hubby Dan at the bollard, looking down from the flybridge at him.

Dave, the pipe-smoking old salt who made the "rummy" comment also offered to splice the mainbrace. We get that often. Methinks he appreciated the portholes in the bow, which does lend a jaunty old-school attitude to Mariso despite her outboard propulsion and other modern amenities. Actually, I think Sylphide is also a very rummy-looking boat!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Old 11-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Don, yes, Appalachicola to Steinhatchee. It is too shallow around the armpit of Florida to hug the shoreline.

Dude, yes , we have AIS and love it. As you note, it is a very helpful device for keeping our eyeballs on commercial traffic. Sorry you couldn't see the photos; I got a great shot of a grinning hubby Dan at the bollard, looking down from the flybridge at him.

Dave, the pipe-smoking old salt who made the "rummy" comment also offered to splice the mainbrace. We get that often. Methinks he appreciated the portholes in the bow, which does lend a jaunty old-school attitude to Mariso despite her outboard propulsion and other modern amenities. Actually, I think Sylphide is also a very rummy-looking boat!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Wifey B: I still don't know what a rummy boat is unless it's a boat where everyone is drunk on rum. So will you please translate?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:19 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The word "rummy" was used by Ernest Hemingway to describe people he judged to be alcoholic, more precisely, rum dependant. It`s the only use of the word I`ve heard, but it might have another meaning. You`ll have to extend the meaning to a boat. Whatever it meant,I think the OP was amused, not offended.

Here, an opulent MY may be called, by some, "a gin palace".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #18
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Rummy boat I thought was the rum runner's hot rod boats used to run illegal alcohol from south of the US boarder into the coastal US cities during times of prohibition.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #19

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Could he have meant “rhumby” as in a navigational rhumb line?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #20
Guru

Either way, I choose to take it as a compliment