Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #141

City: Beaucette Marina
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
It sounds like you will base yourself in a marina and perhaps take weeklong cruises to places in France and England, but stay primarily in Guernsey.

David
Hi David,

As you said, we've been based in Guernsey since March 2013, but for the last three months we've been cruising the west and north coasts of France. It's been a ball.

Reality is now kicking in as summer recedes, autumn (fall?) starts and winter beckons. It's getting cold! But the webasto's really good.

So far, it's been really good. We've learned to live 24/7 with each other (we both had jobs before we retired) and in a much smaller space as well.

In case it's of interest, have a look here: www.playdeau.com

GreatPapaBear
Play d'eau
Fleming 55

Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
How many of the replies are people that have actually been/tried being a live aboard in the cold, rainy, windy northern climates?

Walking several time a day, down/up a moving narrow floating dock, pouring down rain, dark, high winds can/is daunting and precarious. My wife has fallen in twice, both times she was very very lucky, people/I saw/heard her to pull her out, and I been in once. So make sure you female/wife is safe/protected. Better to wait for the right marina/dock/slip than to rush things. We waited 3 years before moved to Everett until an acceptable slip open up.

I had the marina install dock ladders at the bow and stern, throw life ring and I have hung ropes/lines from the dock, build steps that extend out beyond the dock so the space is limited, and keep the boat lines as tight as I can. Tight lines reduce the sudden jerk, noise/squeak and chaffing/damage to the lines. The only movement is the give of the fenders/bumpers. So make sure your boat, marina, dock, slip and you are live aboard safe and ready.

Do not over commit until your wife knows for sure.
Hi Phil,

This has been good advice. Thank you.

Interestingly, we had a man overboard situation when a yacht tried mooring on the other side of a pontoon we were on when cruising the north coast of France.

The story is here: Man over board | Play d'eau

GreatPapaBear

Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #143
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My rule is that the most important item to be able to continue cruising is keeping the wife happy. Put almost all of her stuff in storage for a year on a trial basis. She will feel more comfortable knowing she hasn't "committed" and a year later can decide to dump the furniture or the boat.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #144
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
My rule is that the most important item to be able to continue cruising is keeping the wife happy. Put almost all of her stuff in storage for a year on a trial basis. She will feel more comfortable knowing she hasn't "committed" and a year later can decide to dump the furniture or the boat.

Marty
We did the same thing and got a storage unit (though it was my wife's idea, I heartily concurred)! Though to make matters worse, she's quite the "pack rat", having kept stuff from when her 27-year old was a baby. And not just baby things. We're talking whatever was in the house stuff! Now, just over a year later she's saying things like "I wish we could just load up a U-Haul and take all the stuff in storage to the girls..." Music to my ears!
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
We did the same thing and got a storage unit (though it was my wife's idea, I heartily concurred)! Though to make matters worse, she's quite the "pack rat", having kept stuff from when her 27-year old was a baby. And not just baby things. We're talking whatever was in the house stuff! Now, just over a year later she's saying things like "I wish we could just load up a U-Haul and take all the stuff in storage to the girls..." Music to my ears!
After we'd made the decision to liveaboard, we went through the process of thinking 'what do we keep?' or more to the point, 'how do we decide what to offload?'

After much thought and discussion (argument?) we arrived at the following formula,

Heirlooms: The items that had been in the family for generations we'd put into long term storage to go to our children on our death. We'd not give it now just in case we didn't like living aboard and bought a house. We'd know this in 2/3 years.

The rest of the furniture: Auction, ebay, charity shops, give away. All of it. Literally.

Boxes of 'stuff' in the attic: This was the last element. The many boxes we'd filled and stored in the attic over the years, many of which had been passed down to us by parents, some of which had been passed to them by their parents and so on. Some we'd never even opened. For this we used the argument, 'if we dropped dead tomorrow, what would the children do with it? How would they know what's valuable or of any use to them?'

It took us a year, but we attacked the task box by box, only keeping 'what's valuable or of any use to them'. That reduced the huge mound to about 10 boxes, each labelled and documented so they could make well founded decisions when the time came.

This also went into long term storage.

Finally, it was the 'few bits we'd like to have available' which included boat spares, some of my wife's clothes and so on, for which we took a self store which we use regularly.

And that was that. From a six bed house to a Fleming, with a small longterm store for heirlooms and a self store for 'everyday' items we can't keep on the boat.

How did we feel doing it? At times, heart torn. How do we feel now? Relief.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #146
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
I've got to come back and read thru this subject thread when I get a bit more time,....I am contemplating living aboard a vessel again myself. This posting will help remind me.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I've got to come back and read thru this subject thread when I get a bit more time,....I am contemplating living aboard a vessel again myself. This posting will help remind me.
Any qns, just ask.

All the best.

Piers