Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #81
Veteran Member

City: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
Oh, and I don't know what you ut in there, but here's what I see when I try to visit your blog site from behind the Kuwait filters:
Quote:
Access Denied
Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Gambling"
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #82

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Oh, and I don't know what you ut in there, but here's what I see when I try to visit your blog site from behind the Kuwait filters:
How crazy is that!!! It's just a website with a blog
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #83

6, and counting...
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #84

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Great life ahead for you and your wife! I have been an on and off liveaboard for the last 25 years, only stopping to continue in my work for the same company for 36 years. I try to take assignments where I can live on either our 41' Ketch or our Ocean 42 Trawler. My wife and I are presently enjoying living aboard Last Tango in Oak Harbor, Louisiana. Living aboard is always fun for us and is way better than having to manage the house. I am envious! You get to live aboard and not have to go to work every day! Good for you! We hope to shred the last bonds to staying in the same port soon!

Keep safe and enjoy your new lifestyle!
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #85
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
So how is Oak Harbor marina doing? I bought my boat there in 2001 and brought her back to the Houston area. After Katrina, I saw pix from that marina..what a mess. Glad to hear it's repaired and up and running.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #86

5 days, and counting....

We have to get three cars over to Guernsey, so today, my wife takes one of them, laden with boaty bits, to Poole to catch the fast ferry (Sea Cat - cruises at 37 knots) accross the English Channel to Guernsey.

Having driven to the marina and left the car there (and checked on Play d'eau), she catches a lift back to main harbour (St Peter Port) to catch the return ferry. I then pick her up from Poole late this evening.

The last bits of our furniture are picked up today by a local charity shop, and the telephone guy is in to decommission all the cabling.

It's still 5 days and counting....
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #87

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
It's doing fine. Mark White is the Harbor Master..

We looked at Bay St Louis, Pass Christian.. They have not recovered so well.

Oak has power, water, laundry, gym, pool, none of the others are all up yet.
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #88

4 days and counting...

Lin successfully delivered the car to Guernsey yesterday by Condor Sea Cat Ferry (long, long day), and we were back home by 10pm.

The charity lorry turned up at the house and took much of the items we throught they'd like, so I took the rest to the dump for re-cycling.

Today, Lin should be able to complete the packing up whislst I have to drive to the Miduilands (4 hours) to deliver a 30 minuite address to a group of Headmasters at their AGM.

Two of our sons will be with Lin to help, and will also take the items they wanted. At the same time, the removals men turn up again to take the last of the boxes, leaving the house almost empty.

We're getting there - can't wait for some peace and the sound of water lapping the hull.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #89
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
The test pilot, without authorization did a roll over the crowd in the 707. When he landed there was a slew of executives ready to hand him his papers. What saved him and set the future of the airplane was the immediate response from the airlines placing orders for the plane.
Tex Johnston became a good friend of mine in the years before he died. He told me the "true" story of that barrel roll and it differs considerably from the legend that has sprung up since. All in all, a remarkable man (I helped him some with his autobiography). I've worked at Boeing for some 33 years now and while the company itself has had its ups and downs the products continue to be amazing machines, particulalry when you get to see them, as I and my crew do, hard at work for our customers all around the world.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Tex Johnston became a good friend of mine in the years before he died. He told me the "true" story of that barrel roll and it differs considerably from the legend that has sprung up since. All in all, a remarkable man (I helped him some with his autobiography).
Really interesting. Are you able tyo tell us what the "true" story is?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #91
Scraping Paint

Yes, but it's a long story and is not appropriate to this forum.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Yes, but it's a long story and is not appropriate to this forum.
Shame, but understood. Having piloted over 5,000 hours on the 707 I'd love to know the true story. Will it ever be published?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #93
Scraping Paint

Not unless I or anyone else he told it to writes it up. There's nothing secret or proprietary about it. It's just that as is usually the case with these sorts of "legend" things, what really happened is quite different than the "legend," and in this case much more interesting I think.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #94

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I for one would love to read about it. I have only been with Boeing since July of 2010. I love manufacturing and equipment. I have been in the manufacturing field, one way or another for some 30 plus years. One of my favorite things is to walk through the plant. Thankfully, my job requires me to investigate the equipment so I do get a chance now and then.
I can tell you that I have never been treated so well as I have been at Boeing and I have worked for quite a few. Not the highest pay but I enjoy going to work each day and that is worth a lot.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #95

3 days, and counting...

Address successfully delivered in the Midlands whilst Lin successfuly had the final 'bits' taken by the removals guys for short term storage in Guernsey where we will be able to make the final choice of dump or keep.

Today we take the rubbish to the dump, and some items to the charity shop. The cleaners are coming in the clean and make the house ready for the owners.

Tomorrow and Friday 'should be' days of no rush. I have a lunch meetings on both days, but everything else should have been completed. Saturday is ferry day to cross the Channel to our new 'home' - Play d'eau.

Have you seen the article in Motor Boats and Yachting on page 76 about the uprade work we've done on Play d'eau? It's the April edition but available now. Hugo's editorial on page 3 is somewhat embarrassing....!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #96
Veteran Member

City: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
3 days, and counting...

YES!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #97

2 days, and counting...

Well, we didn't quite complete the clearing of the house on Tuesday so it was another early start yesterday to complete the job before the cleaners came in.

Another trip to the dump was followed by a dentist's appointment for me (the two weren't connected!) for a tooth that has lost its filling, before driving back to the house to help Lin.

Lin had been a star whilst I was out. The house was completely clear, with the remnants in the garage waiting to be loaded into our cars ready for when we take the ferry on Saturday.

The afternoon saw the final trip to the charity shop, I had my last business meeting. At home, we collapsed, watched Masterchef, drank some wine, had some cauliflower cheese with bacon (scrummy) and were sound asleep by 8pm!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #98
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
GPB,

I've been quietly watching from the back row but had to chime in. Best of luck to you on Friday in your big step! I'll be very interested in your first impressions and unexpected discoveries.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
GPB,

I've been quietly watching from the back row but had to chime in. Best of luck to you on Friday in your big step! I'll be very interested in your first impressions and unexpected discoveries.
Thanks for responding. Of course I will. We hope we've covered everything off but we are fully expecting some 'gotchas' !
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #100
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post

Lin had been a star whilst I was out.

. . . . . , and that will be the key to your happiness. There is nothing more beautiful than a couple working together with the same goal in mind. I have no doubts that you will be successful in your newly chosen way of life. Godspeed, and fair winds as you venture out.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote