Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Was a teacher until I got sick and tired of the factory approach to schools here. What do you do? Recruitment? Author? Stationary supplier? I give up!
Which school were you at? BSK, TES, NES - which?
__________________
Advertisement

greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #62
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,518
Was a teacher until I got sick and tired of the factory approach to schools here.

My deg was in Edukation , and I only lasted teaching till I got a good look at who I shared the lunch table with!

Mostly selfish ,lazy , unmotivated , with a totally unrealistic view of them selves.
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
4 weeks and counting!

Are we rready? Not yet - still many boxes of 'stuff' to be sorted which we've collected over the years. Mainly left now are books and more books, We have two book guys coming next week to assess them.

Then it's the list of items our four boys can choose, with the rest going to charity.

So exciting, so daunting.
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #64
Veteran Member
 
SaucySailoress's Avatar
 
City: Kuwait
Country: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Which school were you at? BSK, TES, NES - which?
BSK and NES at different times (I've been here a long time!)

Now tell me what you do!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
BSK and NES at different times (I've been here a long time!)

Now tell me what you do!
We sell MIS software for British schools and have 33% of all BSME schools in the ME! TES uses our software plus some others there.
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #66
Veteran Member
 
SaucySailoress's Avatar
 
City: Kuwait
Country: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 50
Oh wow, you mean they pay for it? Most stuff they just pirate. We had some very angry teachers at BSK who had to have their laptops reformatted to have them configured to system, and they actually wiped the original software and put pirated software on!!!

Me? At that time I was using pirated software, and their reformat was an upgrade for me, so I was happy!! But learnt a valuable, always keep a second laptop for school!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Oh wow, you mean they pay for it? Most stuff they just pirate. We had some very angry teachers at BSK who had to have their laptops reformatted to have them configured to system, and they actually wiped the original software and put pirated software on!!!

Me? At that time I was using pirated software, and their reformat was an upgrade for me, so I was happy!! But learnt a valuable, always keep a second laptop for school!!!
A really starnge school, I admit. On the one hand, some lovely people who want to make things work but who are caught in the trap which makes them keep their mouths tightly shut. Then the others who are but for the glory of...'. Hammm.
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #68
Veteran Member
 
SaucySailoress's Avatar
 
City: Kuwait
Country: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
A really starnge school, I admit. On the one hand, some lovely people who want to make things work but who are caught in the trap which makes them keep their mouths tightly shut. Then the others who are but for the glory of...'. Hammm.
Yeah, I never did get that keeping the mouth shut bit. That's probably why I only lasted two years there
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Two weeks to go - yippee. Play d'eau is in her new berth in the same marina. This berth is far better and sat TV reception is now unobstructed.

House furniture is now sold, boxes of old papers and the books collected over the generations are nearly all sorted.

Not long....
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Papa Charlie's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
PapaBear,

Just read through the posts here. Great boat you have and I believe from your posts the right mind set for this way of life. You have a great deal of advice here. Seems like the end result develops itself as time goes on being on board. What seem important today and what you finally end up with may actually be very different as you settle into your new way of life.

We moved on board literally by accident. We moved up to the Seattle area for a change of life. Just pulled the plug from our life in California. Moved our 32 foot Bayliner up to live in temporarily until we could get settled in with work and such. The plan was to eventually move back on land. Didn't plan on falling in love with living on the water. Spent a year and half finding the right boat. So far we have been living on the water for 3 years.

Had we planned the venture to begin with, we would have reduced the items in storage. But life has it way of providing us with interesting turns, and some, are truly a blessing.

First winter was the hardest due to the fact the 32 foot boat was not designed for live a board and an exceptionally cold winter. The boat was surrounded by ice almost a 1/2 inch thick. The second winter we had the new boat, but only by a couple of months so were getting settled in during the winter months. As time goes on you settle in and life gets easier.

Most people look at those who live a board and think we sit around and have the life of leisure. When in fact there is a lot to do and stay on top of. But we wouldn't trade it for land. We have beautiful views of the snow capped Olympic mountains, whales pass by outside the marina as they follow the schools, and sea life come to our swim step to visit. The Admiral was greeted by a baby harbor seal at our swim platform not long ago.

Here is wishing you and your lifes partner all the best on your new adventure. Fair winds and smooth sailing.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
PapaBear,

Just read through the posts here. Great boat you have and I believe from your posts the right mind set for this way of life. You have a great deal of advice here. Seems like the end result develops itself as time goes on being on board. What seem important today and what you finally end up with may actually be very different as you settle into your new way of life.

We moved on board literally by accident. We moved up to the Seattle area for a change of life. Just pulled the plug from our life in California. Moved our 32 foot Bayliner up to live in temporarily until we could get settled in with work and such. The plan was to eventually move back on land. Didn't plan on falling in love with living on the water. Spent a year and half finding the right boat. So far we have been living on the water for 3 years.

Had we planned the venture to begin with, we would have reduced the items in storage. But life has it way of providing us with interesting turns, and some, are truly a blessing.

First winter was the hardest due to the fact the 32 foot boat was not designed for live a board and an exceptionally cold winter. The boat was surrounded by ice almost a 1/2 inch thick. The second winter we had the new boat, but only by a couple of months so were getting settled in during the winter months. As time goes on you settle in and life gets easier.

Most people look at those who live a board and think we sit around and have the life of leisure. When in fact there is a lot to do and stay on top of. But we wouldn't trade it for land. We have beautiful views of the snow capped Olympic mountains, whales pass by outside the marina as they follow the schools, and sea life come to our swim step to visit. The Admiral was greeted by a baby harbor seal at our swim platform not long ago.

Here is wishing you and your lifes partner all the best on your new adventure. Fair winds and smooth sailing.
Hi Papa Charlie,

Thanks so much for this encouraging post. Can't wait to show it to my wife.

What were you doing in Califormia that suddenly came to an end?

By the way, a UK mag (Motor Boats and Yachting) is publishing a 3 page article on the upgrade works we've done on Play d'eau in their April issue which hits the shelves on 7th March. You may be able to see this on line.

All the best.
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Papa Charlie's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
PapaBear,
I was a partner in a business that had developed an alternative to traditional decorative chroming that was completely environmentally friendly. We were working with the automotive industry to get the process accepted for automotive wheels. We were at the pinnacle, ready to close a deal that would have enabled us to build the large automated facility when the economy crashed and took the automotive industry with it.

We had always wanted to move to the Pacific North West we decided to use the situation to make our move. While it would have been great for the venture to take off, I cannot complain. We now live in a beautiful area, some of the best boating in the world. Retirement has been moved farther into the future, but I am working for Boeing and enjoying what I do very much and the people I work with. So I can't complain too much.

One thing about working for someone else is that when I leave work, I am not taking it home with me. This leaves me more time to spend with my lovely wife, who had endured my absence building a business like a trooper and I can devote my recreational time to boating.

I would love to hear how your adventure progresses. All the best.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
I am working for Boeing and enjoying what I do very much and the people I work with. So I can't complain too much.
...and I used to fly the 707-446 and -336 for BOAc and British Airways when I was a pilot in the 70s and early 80s!
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Papa Charlie's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
...and I used to fly the 707-446 and -336 for BOAc and British Airways when I was a pilot in the 70s and early 80s!
That is very cool. I am working on the 787 Dreamliner program. Very cool airplane with advancements that will change the Aerospace industry.

I heard a story from one of the test pilots from the 787 about the introduction of the 707 at the Seafarer celebration here in Seattle. The plane was still experimental, at the time was the first jet passenger airplane and they had yet to sell a single unit The test pilot, without authorization did a roll over the crowd in the 707. When he landed there was a slew of executives ready to hand him his papers. What saved him and set the future of the airplane was the immediate response from the airlines placing orders for the plane.

Now that is something that you don't here about and would probably not happen today. In my short time with Boeing I would say that spirit is what drives the Boeing people and makes for the type of airplanes that we produce. I am very proud of what I have seen working there.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
I heard a story from one of the test pilots from the 787 about the introduction of the 707 at the Seafarer celebration here in Seattle. The plane was still experimental, at the time was the first jet passenger airplane and they had yet to sell a single unit The test pilot, without authorization did a roll over the crowd in the 707. When he landed there was a slew of executives ready to hand him his papers. What saved him and set the future of the airplane was the immediate response from the airlines placing orders for the plane.
I know the story well. In fact, there are videos of it on youtube with Tex Johnson (test pilot) being interviewed.



Brilliant!
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Papa Charlie's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
Thank you for sharing that. I will share it among my friends at work. I have always said, "It is the people that makes a company, the product is merely a result of great people and the company name a way to identify a place they gather".
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
8 days to go....

Today the guys arrive to remove the last special pieces of furniture and take them to Guernsey into storage. Everything else has been auctioned off, e-bayed and given away. The house will them be virtually empty.

Tomorrow it will be 7 days until we leave. So, the remaining tasks are to take the rubbish (and our old mattress) to the dump, some items to the charity shop, and move into a small rental flat. We then finalise some final company matters before catching the ferry on 9th March when we start the first real long and interrupted holiday we've had in 44 years - and on Play d'eau - what a treat.

For your info, Guernsey is small 24 sq miles island with a population of 67,000. It's part of the Channel Islands, and is a Crown dependency.

That's because the Channel Islands are technically owned by the Duke of Normandy and the British Queen holds the title, so she 'owns' the island. They aren't part of the UK, nor the EU, they don't come under the governance of the UK. Instead, they have their own parliament called the House of Deliberation where they set their own laws and taxes etc etc etc.

What better fun could life be?

We'll be updating out website (it's well out of date at the moment) and starting a blog for those who might interested.

www.playdeau.com

Happy days.
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Papa Charlie's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
Congrats on your new lease on life. Here is wishing you both all the best and look forward to reading about your adventure.

Your new island home sound intriguing.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
greatpapabear's Avatar
 
City: Beaucette Marina
Country: Guernsey
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
7, and counting....
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #80
Veteran Member
 
SaucySailoress's Avatar
 
City: Kuwait
Country: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post

Tomorrow it will be 7 days until we leave. So, the remaining tasks are to take the rubbish (and our old mattress) to the dump, some items to the charity shop, and move into a small rental flat. We then finalise some final company matters before catching the ferry on 9th March when we start the first real long and interrupted holiday we've had in 44 years - and on Play d'eau - what a treat.
With seven weeks to go, I feel your vibes!!!

We just extended our rent of the house here by another month, we too were gonna move ito a small flat for that last stretch, but we can't find anywhere cheap enough that'll let us take the dogs!
__________________

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012