Old 08-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
How many of the replies are people that have actually been/tried being a live aboard in the cold, rainy, windy northern climates?

Walking several time a day, down/up a moving narrow floating dock, pouring down rain, dark, high winds can/is daunting and precarious. My wife has fallen in twice, both times she was very very lucky, people/I saw/heard her to pull her out, and I been in once. So make sure you female/wife is safe/protected. Better to wait for the right marina/dock/slip than to rush things. We waited 3 years before moved to Everett until an acceptable slip open up.

I had the marina install dock ladders at the bow and stern, throw life ring and I have hung ropes/lines from the dock, build steps that extend out beyond the dock so the space is limited, and keep the boat lines as tight as I can. Tight lines reduce the sudden jerk, noise/squeak and chaffing/damage to the lines. The only movement is the give of the fenders/bumpers. So make sure your boat, marina, dock, slip and you are live aboard safe and ready.

Do not over commit until your wife knows for sure.
If you missed it in the first post...they did already sell the house...that's why I took it as a serious commitment.

Plus they are looking to cruise...not waterliveaboard docksit...so changing a bad situation due to marina or weather shouldn't be an issue.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #22

City: Beaucette Marina
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you missed it in the first post...they did already sell the house...that's why I took it as a serious commitment.

Plus they are looking to cruise...not waterliveaboard docksit...so changing a bad situation due to marina or weather shouldn't be an issue.
Hi Guys,

The google earth coordinates where our residential berth is in Guernsey, are 49 30'08.80"N and 2 30'19.46"W. We are in the south east corner of the marina.

After the WW2 war the marina was only a quarry. It was bought by a budding entrepreneur who called the Royal Marines and asked if they'd like something to blow up. 'We're always looking for things to blow up,' was the reply, so about a hundred marines were sent to Guernsey and blew out the coast wall between the quarry and the sea, flooding the quarry and now it's a deep marina!

Tidal range at springs is up to 10 metres (33'). There's a sill at the entrance allowing marine access between HW +/- 3 hrs. During this time, if there's a bad swell and/or especially if there's a winter NE gale blowing, it gets uncomfy in the marina as the swell ricochets around the place. However, our plans are that we'll winter in a closed marina in France somewhere.

Apart from that, it's so, so beautiful. No sounds except the seagulls and oyster catchers.

Our cruising grounds are from Holland, Belgium, and France (Normandy and Brittany) where there are so many gorgeous places to visit and plenty of excellent vino to sup. We spent years exploring England so 'overseas' beckons.

We think (hope!) we've got most instances covered...but reality will be the proof.

Thanks for the all the help and advice. All noted. We've started planning what absolutely must be kep and the rest will go.

greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Live aboard forum is back up and running again.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: League City, TX
Vessel Model: Californian 30
I have been living aboard for a year and a half now. I sold most all of my big stuff and kept a small storage unit for a year. That was my fall back, to give myself a year to make sure I liked it.

Well a year came up and I've gotten rid of everything in there except for the sentimental stuff, and if I had a boat bigger than 30ft I'm sure I could find a place for that and completely get rid of the storage unit all together.
ERJpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Probably Air Cond is not required , but how will you heat , how will you heat with out dockside power for a week?

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Probably Air Cond is not required , but how will you heat , how will you heat with out dockside power for a week?

FF
Thankfully, we have a generator on board so we can use our small fan heaters.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill
Live aboard forum is back up and running again.
Where is it??
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #28
Guru

Piers and Lin, There's a big difference in those that "live-aboard" during the winter season and travel down the ICW and those that live-aboard full time all year and travel with the seasons. So different advise from different perspectives may or may not help you. You will need to decide which category you feel you want to fall into. Over 20 years ago, Susan and I took our first cruise together and went to the Bahamas. At that time we owned two houses, lots of furniture, a couple of cars and a thriving yacht brokerage, charter fleet management and marine service business. On our return that first year we knew that being a full time liveaboard and serious cruisers was what we wanted to be, We sold it ALL and never looked back. We often say we are 20 years into our 5 year plan. Many start out the cruising life to find it not as romantic as they thought. They either become part time cruisers or give it up altogether. So maybe a trial run before you get rid of everything would be the prudent approach. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
Piers and Lin, There's a big difference in those that "live-aboard" during the winter season and travel down the ICW and those that live-aboard full time all year and travel with the seasons. So different advise from different perspectives may or may not help you. You will need to decide which category you feel you want to fall into. Over 20 years ago, Susan and I took our first cruise together and went to the Bahamas. At that time we owned two houses, lots of furniture, a couple of cars and a thriving yacht brokerage, charter fleet management and marine service business. On our return that first year we knew that being a full time liveaboard and serious cruisers was what we wanted to be, We sold it ALL and never looked back. We often say we are 20 years into our 5 year plan. Many start out the cruising life to find it not as romantic as they thought. They either become part time cruisers or give it up altogether. So maybe a trial run before you get rid of everything would be the prudent approach. Chuck
Hi Chuck. Thanks for this really wise commentary. My wife (Lin) is still asleep but I'll show her when she's had her cup of tea! For us, we have the exciting areas of the Baltic, Sweden and Norway to the north and east, and then the Mediterranean to the south. A huge area, so planning the seasons is key. However, we too, have two businesses to sell sometime. It's the 'when' that counts. Really interesting post from you. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
Guru

Thank you and good luck whatever your decision. I guess my advise would be to not go all in at the beginning. You have some of the most fabulous cruising grounds in the world and it might be easy to begin locally and expand your horizons as your comfort levels and confidence increases. At some point you will have an ah-ha moment and the decision will become obvious. At least it did for us. We envy you in your options. Fair winds and stay safe. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
Thank you and good luck whatever your decision. I guess my advise would be to not go all in at the beginning. You have some of the most fabulous cruising grounds in the world and it might be easy to begin locally and expand your horizons as your comfort levels and confidence increases. At some point you will have an ah-ha moment and the decision will become obvious. At least it did for us. We envy you in your options. Fair winds and stay safe. Chuck
Again, much appreciated, Chuck. We'll start with the west coast of Brittany next summer and work our way up to Holland and maybe winter there, before going to the Balic and up to St Petersburg. Beyond that, who knows?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #32

Well, March 9th 2013 is the date we become liveaboards.

As you know from above, the house was sold last year and we are currently renting. Following forum advice we are selling and giving away as much as possible but keeping the family heirlooms and 'specials' which we are putting into store until we finally decide what to do with them.

The boat has had a huge amount of work done on her to ensure she is as perfect as possible so we can cruise wherever we want, including fitting Webasto central heating and making sure the air con works properly.

We will be based in the Channel Islands. Although part of the British Isles, they are much closer to France.

So, we raise our glasses to all on the Forum for a great New Year, and to ourselves for an exciting new adventure.

Mr and Mrs 'Great Papa Bear'

Fleming 55
Play d'eau
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #33

Don't sell to many tools....I got rid of too many and had to go and buy them.....
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hah! GREAT excuse for new tools. Mr. and Mrs. gpb. I wish you well in all your future travels.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #35
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
Well, March 9th 2013 is the date we become liveaboards.

We will be based in the Channel Islands. Although part of the British Isles, they are much closer to France.

So, we raise our glasses to all on the Forum for a great New Year, and to ourselves for an exciting new adventure.

Mr and Mrs 'Great Papa Bear'

Fleming 55
Play d'eau
In that beautiful boat you will be the envy of many!
Bon voyage!
Steve W
Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #36

Thanks for the wrds of encouragement, everyone.

It's my wife's (Mama Bear) birthday in a couple of days, so I'm off to book her a special 'her' day at the local spa, whilst I go to the hardware store to buy a new set of tools as recommended by RT Firefly!

Seriously, though, we are both so excited. A change in life style (oh yes!), a move from the UK to the Channel Islands (although Guernsey is part of the Bitish Isles, it's not part of the UK. Therefore, we have to emmigrate from the UK), and a whole new raft of friends to make.

With a population of 67,000, Guernsey's land area is 24 sq miles. Wiki has some good info on the Guernsey and the associated islands, here.

The Channel islands as a whole - Channel Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guernsey itself - Guernsey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If anyone from the forum ever plans to visit Guernsey, do send a PM and let's see if we can organise a tour of the Islands. There's so much history, so many excellent restaurants, and the beauty has to be seen to be believed.

I'll stop now - I'm in danger of getting too excited....

Great Papa Bear
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #37

Don't get bogged down by material things.. keep life simple and enjoy your time on the water. All these things can be replaced if you need them again.. enjoy the freedom.
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Snead Island, Fla.
Well you sure have the right boat, only thing better would be the 65 or 75 Fleming. I like them all.

I am looking for a live aboard for myself now. I too am going to try the 5 year plan over 20 years. I've already dumped the house and stuff, I just need the boat........ But I've been on board as captain for the last 2 years, so I'm ready for my own gig. Our 65 Fleming is headed to Panama now with a new owner.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Well you sure have the right boat, only thing better would be the 65 or 75 Fleming. I like them all.

I am looking for a live aboard for myself now. I too am going to try the 5 year plan over 20 years. I've already dumped the house and stuff, I just need the boat........ But I've been on board as captain for the last 2 years, so I'm ready for my own gig. Our 65 Fleming is headed to Panama now with a new owner.
Hi Sharkey. I agree that the Fleming is a great boat. I know every inch of her inside and out. Just completing a 10 year make over on her (she's a 2003 boat) in preparartion for us to liveaboard.

Like you, I like the 65 (and the 58 as well...) but the 75 looks a different build given the fly bridge has been brought forward. Doesn't quite look right in my book.

Have fun in choosing the boat for you!

Best reards

GPB
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Snead Island, Fla.
The 75 is a beast! But I still would love own one. You have a great time on your 55.