Skin Cancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SOMERS

Vessel Name
ANDROMEDA
Vessel Make
MAINSHIP 400
Living on the water *or near the water is the dream of every millionaire.
**Summer will soon be upon us and we will have two suns to contend with.
*The first sun is that which shines in at a 45 degrees *angle.
*The second is the suns reflection up from the water *into your boat, do not underestimate the power of the reflection.**You get a" double dip"
*Early mornings and late afternoons and the sun is lower in the sky and consequently the suns rays *can easily shine under *the Bimini *or in to the cabin.

*Venetian blinds or custom made curtains can often solve the cabin problem.

**Most *bimini canopies are higher up which works *great when the sun is at a high angle *in the sky, however,*unless you install temporary mesh side curtains you will get *two Suns.

*All it takes *is one hour to get a bad sunburn *which *can lead to skin cancer in areas of the body where the skin is fragile *( fore head and temples ) children are particularly vulnerable.

*To combat this we keep broad brim Australian style hats on our boat at all times and wide angle sun glasses.

**Those side curtains *i talked about *for a better price come as*bulk material sold*by the yard *from the garden centers *.*
*Always avoid exposure from the sun even on a cloudy day.*

-- Edited by SOMERS on Sunday 20th of March 2011 02:25:51 PM

SOMERS wrote:

*Always avoid exposure from the sun even on a cloudy day.*
Received my worse sunburn on a cloudy day.* Spent a couple of hours floating on an innertube on a lake when a kid.* Behind clouds, the sun "sneaks up" on you!

Somers Wrote:

*To combat this we keep broad brim Australian style hats on our boat at all times and wide angle sun glasses.

Good Advice,* Another reason to operate the boat at the lower station.

The hat idea works well at the dirt house for grass cutting and yard work!

JohnP

We been a live aboard for 14 years, and have some skin damage, but no cancer yet.* We both have some spots that the doctor checks every year.* However, our skin is dry and aged, so we use moisturizer/baby oil most days.* The doctors have told both of us when out in the direct sun light to wear light cloths and hat for protection.

We both wear felt cowboy/girl *hats in the winter for the rain and to shade our eyes on the very few days we get sun.* In the summer time we wear straw cowboy/girl hats to block out the sun.* In the summer we both wear my old long sleeve dress shirts that are light weight.* However, in the PNW we have only a couple of weeks of direct sun.* *

We whole heartedly agree - Sun protection is surely needed... However, so is continual fun in life. Wife and me are very careful in many ways... extensive amounts of water resistant sun block co-applied often and liberally is another protective device. We swim a lot and believe another water resistant sun block application should occur about each hour. So, what fun to keep rubbing each other all over! We DO enjoy several aspects of life!!

Boating helps make our world go a-round! - Cheers!! Art & Linda

Yep...got me some of that!!! *Melanoma....and luckily escaped any metastasis.

Just went for my 6 month check last week....ALL GOOD!!!!

Any questions....I'm here all week!!!

Attachments

• scar (large).jpg
    scar (large).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 125
  • scarface-2-1024.jpg
    scarface-2-1024.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 215
Same incision on left and right sides? How, what, did you first notice to make you see a Dr.?
Glad to hear you caught it in time!
Steve W.

I have never*used any kind of sunblock. I always wear a baseball cap and sunglasses though.

jleonard wrote:
I have never*used any kind of sunblock. I always wear a baseball cap and sunglasses though.

*It is good to hear that John has a clear 6 mos. follow up.* Nothing is more important than that.

My dermotologist has explained the difference between a cap and a hat many times.

Steve wrote:
Same incision on left and right sides? How, what, did you first notice to make you see a Dr.?
Glad to hear you caught it in time!
Steve W.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
**I had posted that first pic on another forum(surfing related). *Then somebody took it and "flipped it" via photoshop to make that picture. *If you didn't figure it out, I am photoshopped onto Tony Montana's body(Al Pacino) in Scarface!!! *That was Tony's last stand as he went down in a hale of bullets and white powder!!!! * I just thought the guy did a great photoshop job and thought the pic was kinda cool!!!

I need to dig thru pics to find one that had the actual lesion. *It was about dime sized and blackish brownish purplish....

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 28th of March 2011 01:21:26 PM

Baker wrote:

I am a Stage 3 metastasized melanoma survivor
smile.gif

John

Alfton wrote:Baker wrote:

smile.gif

John

*I got chills reading this John!!! *I am so happy for you and thank God!!!! *I'll buy ya a beer down there in Freeport!!!!

I will take you up on that offer, and drink to our health

John

Alfton wrote:Baker wrote:

smile.gif

John

*The best of health to you both.* May you beat all the odds.* As you have shown, melanoma is nothing to be triffled with.* May God bless you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom