Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Bayliner 4788?
Old 01-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
IIRC DeFever also designed a 46-footer that pretty much mirrored the 49?
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. M. Why not mention the advantages of YOUR vessel (CL-46). There may be one on the market soon....
Old 01-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleangelina View Post
Standing on the flybridge of the 49 I was practically speechless how big it was but I am pretty confident that he (and one day I) could handle it. Parts of it really did seem (almost) too big.

The 49 PH will feel big for about a week. OK, maybe two.

Several here at the marina where we are in JAX just now, at least one for sale.

-Chris
Old 01-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #25

City: Newport Beach, CA
Vessel Name: DESTINY
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 Euro
Try the DF 46PH or 49 Euro...

The 46PH/49Euro is a much smaller boat with a 15' beam... we've liven on ours for 6 years and its easy to handle... brought ours from Seattle to the East Coast. I suggest you go ti the Pocta.com website, it's still operational, and look at one. There are about 25 floating around... its has everything you want... inside passageway to FB, full walk around, great ER... nice clean lines
beachbum5953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Mr. Firefly,

Thank you, I thought about mentioning our boat but was deterred by their initial requirements of easy access to the swim platform and flybridge. Unfortunately, in our case we have ladders in the places they hope to have steps.

Otherwise, yes! :-)
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have owned 23 boats and we have never complained that the boat was too big. Always wish it was a bit bigger... The cost between a 44 and a 49 will be negligible. But the cost in buying a too small boat will be huge and ongoing. Go with what you like. The fuel cost will probably not be measurable as to the difference.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #28

City: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleangelina View Post
Yes! wow what a beauty! She is listed as sold. Any idea how to find out what she sold for? I know there are some websites like soldboatprice.com but they are usually lagging.

Sold for $150,000 in August of 2015
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Canby, Oregon & LaPaz, BCS, MX
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood
More DeFever options

Ms. M - There are other venerable DeFever variations which may fit your needs, with 1000s of boats up to 60 years old out there. You could likely find a treasured DeFever woodie that needs work for a song, or even just a promise that you'll love and cherish her. Join Defever Cruisers Assoc to learn more.
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I can certainly relate to your struggle. (With the captain.) When you step aboard a boat and it smacks of "just right", trying to get your mate to come around to your train of thought can be very frustrating at best. My wife & I knew exactly what we wanted for our SoCal cruising grounds and it took 3.5 years to find it! It had some warts & pimples but after a little over 4 years of ownership, all are gone! Buy the boat that really turns you on as that's where the incentive comes from to "fix her up." Best of luck to you both!
Old 01-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have owned 23 boats and we have never complained that the boat was too big. Always wish it was a bit bigger... The cost between a 44 and a 49 will be negligible. But the cost in buying a too small boat will be huge and ongoing. Go with what you like.
Yep I learned that lesson first hand.

When I was overseas in the Persian Gulf I decided to have a boat built. But trying to save money, I built smaller and cheaper. My family and I had some wonderful life memories, especially with the kids growing up at that time, but the truth is that the boat never fulfilled my needs/wants and was always a bit disappointing for that reason.

So I disagree with that old sailor's adage "buy the smallest boat that does the job" - that may save money but often leads to disappointment.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #32
Guru

City: Seattle
Micheleangelina I went back and re-read your first thread. You all have a lot of experience with your 32' but let me offer my opinion based on having owned cruising boats from small to 65':
  • Jumping from 32' to 40+' may seem overwhelming and intimidating at first, but you two would settle into a comfort zone easily, especially with some training from the previous owner or a captain
  • I've found that the ideal size for extended cruising or liveaboard is about 50'
  • I've heard many comments from couples on 40-42' boats about wishing they could have afforded something large (48-49')
  • If you two are planning extended cruising later on, especially in open ocean like Carib crossings, then bigger is better
  • Likewise, heavier is better as well. You can't beat the laws of physics and nature - mass is your friend when it comes to comfortable motion and lower accelerations
  • Try to stay away from the sole-buried engine spaces. You don't need full standing height, but a solid 5' headroom is very nice especially as you get older
  • Singles are better than doubles
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #33
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Micheleangelina, I have been on Escape and cruised with her.

Worth a look!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...house-3527875/
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #34
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
here is a video of a sistership
I think it is worth watching

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
A friend had a newer (late 90's) smaller Defever with a single. I think it was a 44" or 45'. I may be incorrect with all the different ways boat lengths are marketed

He tied alongside our 40' Bluewater PH and the Defever was only 2 or so feet longer. It was a real nice boat and looked like the Defever 49 PH, but shorter.

He sold it in 2008.

There is a 45' PH on Yachtworld.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #36

City: Raleigh
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1986 Defever 49 RPH
Full disclosure: we are the owner of ESCAPE, mentioned by Menzies above. She is cruise-ready, needing only new cruiser owners, fuel and food aboard.

We have owned her for 8 years, 5k nautical miles to Bahamas 3 times and Chesapeake Bay twice. Averaged 1.72nmpg at 7.5 knots. We looked for a year, and other than a Hatteras 48 LRC, could find nothing under 50' with the storage volume and cruising comfort features. She is a heavy vessel (+64,000# loaded for cruising) and it shows when the weather turns snotty. Art DeFever designed bluewater boats!

The only time we thought she was too big was when we hand polished the hull (once was enough).

So why sell? Too much family and company (a good thing) when in Bahamas. Moving up to a larger Hatteras.

John McCarley
divert00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Brookfield, CT
Back in the day (early 1990's), my parents upgraded from a 31' Uniflite to a 43' Viking DC and lived-aboard/cruised the East Coast with the seasons for a few years. I learned how to pilot/navigate the Uniflite back in the use the compass and paper chart days and had full access when my parents weren't using it. I loved that boat. I wish they still made the Viking DC - it was one hell of a layout and a great vessel. I spent a lot of vacation time on the Viking, meeting up with my parents on the ICW when I could.

Still dreaming my boating days will return soon - Nordic Tug 37 or 40 for me.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #38

City: Brooklin, ME. /Apalachicola, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger Raised Pilothouse 45
My wife and I just bought a 1981 Sea Ranger 45 RPH. Our access to the flybridge is an aft ladder, however some versions were built with interior stairs from lower to upper bridges. It has most of the qualities you are looking for.

I've just completed an 1,100 mile delivery from Knoxville, TN to Apalachicola, FL where we live. This is a very good boat in my opinion, simple with a single Volvo, great visibility, easy to handle, comfortable in nasty 4' Bay chop. They are hard to find but worth a look.
gregoryfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: North Andover
"Looks like it has the Volvo engines." They can be good engines, but you'll go ghost white when they quote parts.....

I am in MA and had that open in my browser. Pics make it look nice, but wow....$100K less than ask? Wonder if the owner has come to grips with what that amount of damage ultimately does to selling price?
Peter Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #40
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. M. Welcome aboard. A Defever 49 PH is indeed a nice vessel BUT despite it's overall size, it's not terribly well laid out IMO. Small saloon, only 2 staterooms and more of a crawl in ER rather than a walk in.

Agreed! A very cut up boat.