Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

City: Harbor Island, San Diego, Ca.
Vessel Name: China Doll
Vessel Model: C&L Sea Ranger
shipping trawler from seattle to new zealand

Does any one have a tip for shipping a 47' trawler from seattle to new zealand?? Cheaply.
Kurt

cabokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't think the "cheaply" part is going to be in your equation. Unless you run it on its own bottom you're looking at at a ship. There are two kinds--- cargo ship and yacht transport. Cargo ship is just that--- boat goes in a custom made cradle and is loaded on board.

Yacht transport is one of these semi-submersible ships that "sinks" low enough for the boats to be driven/towed over the main deck at which point divers weld supports to the submerged deck for each boat and then the ship rises back up. The procedure is reversed at the destination. Dockwise is the most well-known of these companies but I believe there are others.

Nimbers I have heard bandied about for a Dockwise transport are $10,000 or more. I have no idea what shipping as cargo on a container ship would be.

Mark of this forum had his new Coot shipped as deck cargo from the manufacturer in China to the SFO bay area and he might be able to give you an idea of what that cost. However he is leaving , or has left for a cruise ship trip for a couple of weeks.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
There are other yacht transport options but none are "cheap."

It is easy to get a quote from Dockwise, Yacht Path, Sevenstar and a few smaller dedicated yacht transporters.

Cartwright International is a broker of yacht shipping services as is Peters and May.

The "rack price" is going to be high but, like airline tickets, deals are available and if you like to negotiate and don't have a tight schedule (you better not anyway - we have had boats delayed by many weeks) you may be able to save some serious money. Keep in mind that once you book and pay, unless the ship sinks before you load you have little recourse if you change your mind.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
United motor Freight in Seattle crates, shrink,secures our export shipment and the prepare, ship alot of autos and boats. The can also recomment a carrier.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I referred someone the other day looking to ship from Fl to Nova Scotia. Try Vic Spellman, at Peters & May, 954.315.3848. They are a shipping borker that specialize in shipping yachts. I have no affiliation with or connection to them other than they will be shipping a 58' from Fl to Seattle for me. I was pleased with the price (still not cheap!), the service and the speed they could get things done. Water to water all inclusive price, no hassles.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
I haven’t shipped to Zland but if you are building a cradle I would suggest steel. Some places have trouble with timber cradles
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
A bunch of years ago we did this in the opposite direction.. sailed down to NZ then shipped the boat home. In 1994 it cost $10,500 to ship a 35' sailboat on deck on a flat rack container. The company I used on the NZ end welded supports that were slipped into the slots in the open container deck and the boat was strapped down . It was a real adventure.. including the ride through downtown Auckland in Friday rush hour traffic in the semi hauling the boat loaded on the container to the side of the ship. I have way more respect for the longshoremen in NZ than the group in Seattle.. but that is another story.

I did a direct water launch from the deck of the freighter in Seattle... one of the most harrowing things I have ever done in my life. The ship took 16 days to get from Auckland to Seattle.. and the boat was in perfect condition on arrival.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
x2 What Rick said about negotiating a deal.

I got a quote from Yachtpath about 2 years ago now just for a lark. For about a year afterward they would periodically phone with a better offer. I didn't even own a boat when I first got the quote. Just based on their offers there was 30% discount off the rack rate and I never said anything except "no" all the way through. If I'd been even 1/2 serious who knows.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Lowest price will be a direct deck load.

The carrier lifts the boat and welds supports to its deck. On arrival it is slung overboard , and you motor off.

Far easier (cheaper ) to work directly with a boat captain , they have the latitude to accept deck cargo. You might even want a cabin , less chance for the boat to be pillaged if you are aboard.

I would expect Panama to NZ (if the boat can make it ) would be lowest cost.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Far easier (cheaper ) to work directly with a boat captain , they have the latitude to accept deck cargo.
Not since Bogart was a salty sea captain.
Attached Images

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Timely thread. A few months ago Dockwise gave me a quote of $44k for Costa Rica to Brisbane (50 ft motor yacht). That's on the float on/float off vessel that is scheduled for December.

Yesterday I got a quote at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show from brokers, for Long Beach to Brisbane on a lift on/lift off vessel. Apparently there are monthly sailings. But it was $50k plus extras like dock fees and cradle, and the total was just under $65k. There has to be a lot of fat in that, and soon I will need to start pushing some of these folks a bit harder. Although a broker will want their piece of the pie they might be the best way to go as they know what's available.

I don't mind ending up in NZ, or somewhere else in the SW Pacific instead of Brisbane. But I would like some cheaper options! Any good leads will be welcomed by those of us wnating to do broadly similar shipping and I think there are actually quite a lot of us with this issue.

I'm currently on the hard at a Puget Sound boat yard for some repairs, but can be on the water and ready pretty quick for a good freight option.
Insequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Guru

Next week I will be in the office and call around. usually I am not to concerned about the cost as its bill paid by the customer.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Guru

What is the length, beam. hight and weight?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
What is the length, beam. hight and weight?
Not sure about the OP, but for me the length is 53', beam is 16', height 21' and weight 32 tons.

PNW departure point preferred, arrival can be Aust, NZ or nearby islands, although somewhere like Singapore is likely manageable as well. Lots of flexibility for a good rate!
Insequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #15

a fellow from australia bought my trawler and shipped in from ft lauderdale as a deck load 28000 dollars,took onr month to get there i pulled up alongside the ship and the lifted it right out of the water and on the deck,no problem
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Here are a few pictures from when Yacht Path was picking up boats in Golfito, CR last year. The boats were headed north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 360 (1).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	11491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 367 (1).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	11492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 374 (1).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	11493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 375 (1).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	11494  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #17

City: Harbor Island, San Diego, Ca.
Vessel Name: China Doll
Vessel Model: C&L Sea Ranger
Shipping trawler to New Zealand

China Doll, is 50' long, 14.5 wide x 15' tall, at 46000 lbs, anywhere on the west coast to New Zealand.
her wide site is;
Home Page
Regards, Kurt
cabokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Corio
Vessel Name: Kittyhawk
Vessel Model: Careel 22
Crossing the Pacific under your own diesel

G'day mates,

I'm new here and hope this post is in the right section.

I'm another Aussie thinking strongly of buying in the USA, registering the Trawler in Oz then importing the boat from FL in the USA to New Zealand.
Can anyone, preferably someone who has completed a Pacific crossing in a Trawler, provide information on the amount of diesel needed to cross the Pacific in a 42' 35,000lbs Trawler fitted with a 2007 John Deere: 4045TFM75 Engine, Total Power: 135 HP, with a cruising speed of 7 knots @ 1600 RPM (Reported Fuel consumption - 1.5 gallons per hour @ 1600 rpm (7.2 knots) How much fuel would the trawler need to carry to safely cross the Pacific between diesel stops, keeping say, 25% diesel in reserve for safety, and what, in your opinion, would be the safest route from FL, USA to NZ?

Thanking you in advance for any advice.

Bill
Australia
kando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
lots of info here...

http://www.nordhavn.com/newsroom/art..._07-01_ATW.pdf

Cheers,
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Mark of this forum had his new Coot shipped as deck cargo from the manufacturer in China to the SFO bay area and he might be able to give you an idea of what that cost. However he is leaving , or has left for a cruise ship trip for a couple of weeks.
Cost me something like $25000+ plus to ship the Coot from China to the US West Coast. That was for a 37-by-13-foot, 14-ton vessel.