shipping trawler from seattle to new zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabokurt

Vessel Name
China Doll
Vessel Make
C&L Sea Ranger
Does any one have a tip for shipping a 47' trawler from seattle to new zealand?? Cheaply.
Kurt

I don't think the "cheaply" part is going to be in your equation. Unless you run it on its own bottom you're looking at at a ship. There are two kinds--- cargo ship and yacht transport. Cargo ship is just that--- boat goes in a custom made cradle and is loaded on board.

Yacht transport is one of these semi-submersible ships that "sinks" low enough for the boats to be driven/towed over the main deck at which point divers weld supports to the submerged deck for each boat and then the ship rises back up. The procedure is reversed at the destination. Dockwise is the most well-known of these companies but I believe there are others.

Nimbers I have heard bandied about for a Dockwise transport are $10,000 or more. I have no idea what shipping as cargo on a container ship would be.

Mark of this forum had his new Coot shipped as deck cargo from the manufacturer in China to the SFO bay area and he might be able to give you an idea of what that cost. However he is leaving , or has left for a cruise ship trip for a couple of weeks.

There are other yacht transport options but none are "cheap."

It is easy to get a quote from Dockwise, Yacht Path, Sevenstar and a few smaller dedicated yacht transporters.

Cartwright International is a broker of yacht shipping services as is Peters and May.

The "rack price" is going to be high but, like airline tickets, deals are available and if you like to negotiate and don't have a tight schedule (you better not anyway - we have had boats delayed by many weeks) you may be able to save some serious money. Keep in mind that once you book and pay, unless the ship sinks before you load you have little recourse if you change your mind.

United motor Freight in Seattle crates, shrink,secures our export shipment and the prepare, ship alot of autos and boats. The can also recomment a carrier.

I referred someone the other day looking to ship from Fl to Nova Scotia. Try Vic Spellman, at Peters & May, 954.315.3848. They are a shipping borker that specialize in shipping yachts. I have no affiliation with or connection to them other than they will be shipping a 58' from Fl to Seattle for me. I was pleased with the price (still not cheap!), the service and the speed they could get things done. Water to water all inclusive price, no hassles.

I haven’t shipped to Zland but if you are building a cradle I would suggest steel. Some places have trouble with timber cradles

A bunch of years ago we did this in the opposite direction.. sailed down to NZ then shipped the boat home. In 1994 it cost $10,500 to ship a 35' sailboat on deck on a flat rack container. The company I used on the NZ end welded supports that were slipped into the slots in the open container deck and the boat was strapped down . It was a real adventure.. including the ride through downtown Auckland in Friday rush hour traffic in the semi hauling the boat loaded on the container to the side of the ship. I have way more respect for the longshoremen in NZ than the group in Seattle.. but that is another story.

I did a direct water launch from the deck of the freighter in Seattle... one of the most harrowing things I have ever done in my life. The ship took 16 days to get from Auckland to Seattle.. and the boat was in perfect condition on arrival.
HOLLYWOOD

x2 What Rick said about negotiating a deal.

I got a quote from Yachtpath about 2 years ago now just for a lark. For about a year afterward they would periodically phone with a better offer. I didn't even own a boat when I first got the quote. Just based on their offers there was 30% discount off the rack rate and I never said anything except "no" all the way through. If I'd been even 1/2 serious who knows.

Lowest price will be a direct deck load.

The carrier lifts the boat and welds supports to its deck. On arrival it is slung overboard , and you motor off.

Far easier (cheaper ) to work directly with a boat captain , they have the latitude to accept deck cargo. You might even want a cabin , less chance for the boat to be pillaged if you are aboard.

I would expect Panama to NZ (if the boat can make it ) would be lowest cost.

FF

Far easier (cheaper ) to work directly with a boat captain , they have the latitude to accept deck cargo.

Not since Bogart was a salty sea captain.

Attachments

• BOGART.jpg
    BOGART.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,397
Timely thread. A few months ago Dockwise gave me a quote of $44k for Costa Rica to Brisbane (50 ft motor yacht). That's on the float on/float off vessel that is scheduled for December.

Yesterday I got a quote at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show from brokers, for Long Beach to Brisbane on a lift on/lift off vessel. Apparently there are monthly sailings. But it was $50k plus extras like dock fees and cradle, and the total was just under $65k. There has to be a lot of fat in that, and soon I will need to start pushing some of these folks a bit harder. Although a broker will want their piece of the pie they might be the best way to go as they know what's available.

I don't mind ending up in NZ, or somewhere else in the SW Pacific instead of Brisbane. But I would like some cheaper options! Any good leads will be welcomed by those of us wnating to do broadly similar shipping and I think there are actually quite a lot of us with this issue.

I'm currently on the hard at a Puget Sound boat yard for some repairs, but can be on the water and ready pretty quick for a good freight option.

Next week I will be in the office and call around. usually I am not to concerned about the cost as its bill paid by the customer.

What is the length, beam. hight and weight?

What is the length, beam. hight and weight?

Not sure about the OP, but for me the length is 53', beam is 16', height 21' and weight 32 tons.

PNW departure point preferred, arrival can be Aust, NZ or nearby islands, although somewhere like Singapore is likely manageable as well. Lots of flexibility for a good rate!

Last edited:
a fellow from australia bought my trawler and shipped in from ft lauderdale as a deck load 28000 dollars,took onr month to get there i pulled up alongside the ship and the lifted it right out of the water and on the deck,no problem

Here are a few pictures from when Yacht Path was picking up boats in Golfito, CR last year. The boats were headed north.

Attachments

• Picture 360 (1).jpg
    Picture 360 (1).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Picture 367 (1).jpg
    Picture 367 (1).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 191
  • Picture 374 (1).jpg
    Picture 374 (1).jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Picture 375 (1).jpg
    Picture 375 (1).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 183
Shipping trawler to New Zealand

China Doll, is 50' long, 14.5 wide x 15' tall, at 46000 lbs, anywhere on the west coast to New Zealand.
her wide site is;
Home Page
Regards, Kurt

Last edited:
Crossing the Pacific under your own diesel

G'day mates,

I'm new here and hope this post is in the right section.

I'm another Aussie thinking strongly of buying in the USA, registering the Trawler in Oz then importing the boat from FL in the USA to New Zealand.
Can anyone, preferably someone who has completed a Pacific crossing in a Trawler, provide information on the amount of diesel needed to cross the Pacific in a 42' 35,000lbs Trawler fitted with a 2007 John Deere: 4045TFM75 Engine, Total Power: 135 HP, with a cruising speed of 7 knots @ 1600 RPM (Reported Fuel consumption - 1.5 gallons per hour @ 1600 rpm (7.2 knots) How much fuel would the trawler need to carry to safely cross the Pacific between diesel stops, keeping say, 25% diesel in reserve for safety, and what, in your opinion, would be the safest route from FL, USA to NZ?

Thanking you in advance for any advice.

Bill
Australia

Last edited:
Mark of this forum had his new Coot shipped as deck cargo from the manufacturer in China to the SFO bay area and he might be able to give you an idea of what that cost. However he is leaving , or has left for a cruise ship trip for a couple of weeks.

Cost me something like $25000+ plus to ship the Coot from China to the US West Coast. That was for a 37-by-13-foot, 14-ton vessel.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:
Hi Bill, Welcome aboard! Are you keeping the Careel 22? Friends just sold their 18 to buy a much larger yacht, they had nothing but praise for it.

Others on the Forum will be much more help on fuel needs and other considerations. Were it me, I`d be asking about the volume of courage to load and and a safety reserve, especially with a single engine and no "get home" auxiliary, though I understand the John Deere is a good long distance engine.
Friends who had multiple near disasters bringing a newly acquired boat with a near perfect (NOT) Survey, from Southport to Sydney now have high regard for Marine Rescue and the Water Police. Even if you have high skills and competency, think about it, weigh up fuel,insurance and other costs against shipping freight cost. Within Australia road freight can cost less.
I hope the planning goes well. There is quite a contingent of Aussies on the Forum who will be very interested and welcoming.BruceK, Sydney Australia.

Thanks for that pointer HW, good info' as you said mate :)
Hi Bill, Welcome aboard! Are you keeping the Careel 22? Friends just sold their 18 to buy a much larger yacht, they had nothing but praise for it.
G'day Bruce, yes mate, I'll be selling my Careel 22, I'm getting to be a bit long in the tooth even for a T/S :( but that's life. Time for me to look for a Trawler that won't cost me two kidneys an arm and a leg to buy...As they do in Oz ;)
Others on the Forum will be much more help on fuel needs and other considerations. Were it me, I`d be asking about the volume of courage to load and and a safety reserve, especially with a single engine and no "get home" auxiliary, though I understand the John Deere is a good long distance engine.
Friends who had multiple near disasters bringing a newly acquired boat with a near perfect (NOT) Survey, from Southport to Sydney now have high regard for Marine Rescue and the Water Police. Even if you have high skills and competency, think about it, weigh up fuel,insurance and other costs against shipping freight cost. Within Australia road freight can cost less.
I hope the planning goes well. There is quite a contingent of Aussies on the Forum who will be very interested and welcoming.BruceK, Sydney Australia.
Thanks for that Bruce, being a retired seaman, merchant service, engineering, plus running a fishing boat out of Brixham, Devon, England, I'm well used to cruising the worlds oceans on a single engine, big engines but only one engine just the same, so I do not see a boat having just one engine as a problem.
Diesels are extremely reliable...Just as long as they are kept clean and have their due services.
The trawler I'm looking at had her entire propulsion system, engine, transmission, drive shaft, shaft seal, cutlass bearing, and prop, all were replaced by John Deere back in 2007, so I'm sure owners who have gone to the expense of replacing the full drive system would not have skimped on servicing that system. Anyway, I'm still making enquiries and I'm still looking in AU and NZ for a similar trawler...Who knows, I may find a similar set-up trawler, at a reasonable price here in Oz but I doubt it.

Cheers Bruce.

Bill

Last edited:
G'day mates,

I'm new here and hope this post is in the right section.

I'm another Aussie thinking strongly of buying in the USA, registering the Trawler in Oz then importing the boat from FL in the USA to New Zealand.
Can anyone, preferably someone who has completed a Pacific crossing in a Trawler, provide information on the amount of diesel needed to cross the Pacific in a 42' 35,000lbs Trawler fitted with a 2007 John Deere: 4045TFM75 Engine, Total Power: 135 HP, with a cruising speed of 7 knots @ 1600 RPM (Reported Fuel consumption - 1.5 gallons per hour @ 1600 rpm (7.2 knots) How much fuel would the trawler need to carry to safely cross the Pacific between diesel stops, keeping say, 25% diesel in reserve for safety, and what, in your opinion, would be the safest route from FL, USA to NZ?

Thanking you in advance for any advice.

Bill
Australia

Wow! Thats a heck of a trip in a 42' boat. It could be done, but it would have to be the right boat.

You need to do some serious route pre-planning before you even contemplate that kind of voyage. I would start with the big ones (passages) first because they are the deal breakers for any boat. Grab a map and just look at best case distances starting with the panama canal since thats going to be your entry point into the pacific.

Then ask yourself if the boat you are considering purchasing even capable of that kind of passage. Not just in terms of fuel capacity but in terms of survivability on long open water passages.

Get those two things out of the way first, as the answers to them will tell you if the concept is even worth persuing.

Wow! Thats a heck of a trip in a 42' boat. It could be done, but it would have to be the right boat.

You need to do some serious route pre-planning before you even contemplate that kind of voyage. I would start with the big ones (passages) first because they are the deal breakers for any boat. Grab a map and just look at best case distances starting with the panama canal since thats going to be your entry point into the pacific.

Then ask yourself if the boat you are considering purchasing even capable of that kind of passage. Not just in terms of fuel capacity but in terms of survivability on long open water passages.

Get those two things out of the way first, as the answers to them will tell you if the concept is even worth persuing.
I hear you loud and clear mate. The planning is all important but you know what they say about the best laid plans :) The right boat is also important but remember the unsinkable Titanic, she went down on a calm sea on her maiden voyage but I hear your advice loud and clear.
I am not out to make or break any records, nor do I want to circumnavigate the globe, I simply want to get a Trawler, safe as possible, from the States to Australia at the best possible rate and if that means driving the trawler across the Pacific under her own power, then it's something I would seriously consider. I would like to get the trawler to New Zealand and keep it there for several months cruising NZ before cruising on and importing the boat into Oz, via Hobart, but doing that would still involve crossing the ditch (The Tasman Sea) that leg alone, from Wellington, NZ to Hobart, AU, would be around 1226 nautical miles, from Panama to Tahiti would be easly double that distance. For speed, and perhaps safety, it would be better to piggy-back the trawler as deck cargo to NZ, then make the crossing from NZ to AU under her own steam.

It's still early days, that trawler, built in Rumery's Boat Yard in America, is tempting but...I may find a suitable boat for my needs here in Oz or NZ, so I'm not making any fast decisions on any boat...No-matter how tempting the boat looks to be.

Cheers mate, :thumb:

Bill

Last edited:
Buying A Boat In The States Or...

G'day mates,

I apologise in advance for this long/ish post.
I have been asked on another forum "Why do you look at buying a boat in the States? You would be better of to buy where you plan on cruising...Australia or New Zealand"
And I guess that's true...To a point. The truth is, to many Australian and New Zealand boat sellers "believe wrongly" they have a closed market. They believe, wrongly, that Australians and New Zealanders looking to buy a boat can only buy in AU or NZ.

It's the same with a lot of other retailers here in AU...They believe, wrongly, that they have a protected market, buyers who need a product must buy from them! Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Back in 1996-98 I was trying to get local Australian businesses to get into online marketing of their business but I did not succeed. Every one of the businesses I talked with believed, wrongly, and told me...Computers and this Internet thing is just a fad and will soon die-off. Boy! Were they ever wrong!
Today those same businesses are blaming everything but themselves, for their drop in sales, in-shop clients and income. Some are closing branches and some are even blaming business failures on...The Internet! Or rather, people doing their shopping on the Internet!
I have been shopping online since around 1995, I have bought from China, the UK, Canada and the States and in all that I have bought online, I had only three complaints about a product, all three complaints were promptly dealt with and I was a happy shopper.
The last thing I bought on-line was a Master Cylinder for my LR Discovery. The Aussie suppliers were asking from $350 to $397 for the unit. I ordered one on-line from a LR supplier in the UK for a total cost, postage included of...$136 :blush:

Why do Aus' and Kiwi boat sellers still believe they have a captured market? Don't they know buyers can find a better deal elsewhere, like in the States.

With this 1974 Australian Ferro Cement Coastal Cruiser, the seller is asking AU $87,000

With this 1967 American Fibreglass Coastal Cruiser, the seller is asking US $49,900

Which would be the better buy? I believe the American boat, with her newer FULL drive-train, even after adding an extra 30% cost for importing the boat from the States. $49,900US + 30% = $64,870US = $ 62,892AU. So even if you paid the full asking price and 30% for importing the American boat, you would still save $24,108AU

Like it or not, today we ALL live in a global market, and if we want to compete and sell our products, whatever those products may be, we need to price the product to compete in the global market...Specially when we advertise the product on the Internet where a buyer from anywhere in the world MAY end-up being the buyer of your product.

Or am I getting this all wrong :confused:

Bill
Australia

Last edited:
G'day mates,

I apologise in advance for this long/ish post.

I disdain longish posts. So haven't read your message. My loss.

You can probably save a bit by buying in the US, but the big advantage is the wider range and better quality in the US. How much you save will depend on how you do the import. Recently the final quote for my 50ft 30 tonne motor cruiser arrived - just shy of $100,000 ex: Vancouver to Brisbane. Shipping rates have gone up recently they were telling me. They might come down again, who knows. Best to get something that is small, or that can sail back on her own bottom. Otherwise savings from a purchase in the US wont be much.

In my case, just before I had to decide what to do about that quote (a simple decision really...) I discovered leaking fuel tanks. So I decided to do an extensive refit in the US, including repower and enlarged tanks. Once I'm back in the water I'll head south from PNW and check actual range versus calculations, plus my appetite for an Ocean crossing. Plan B would be shipping from the float on - float off vessel south of the US, a much cheaper option than the cradle based shipping ex: Vancouver.

... what, in your opinion, would be the safest route from FL, USA to NZ?

Direct to Port Everglades then after watching the boat loaded on one of the yacht transport ships that frequent the port, a business class flight from FLL to LAX then AKL.

You can probably save a bit by buying in the US, but the big advantage is the wider range and better quality in the US. How much you save will depend on how you do the import. Recently the final quote for my 50ft 30 tonne motor cruiser arrived - just shy of $100,000 ex: Vancouver to Brisbane. Shipping rates have gone up recently they were telling me. They might come down again, who knows. Best to get something that is small, or that can sail back on her own bottom. Otherwise savings from a purchase in the US wont be much.

In my case, just before I had to decide what to do about that quote (a simple decision really...) I discovered leaking fuel tanks. So I decided to do an extensive refit in the US, including repower and enlarged tanks. Once I'm back in the water I'll head south from PNW and check actual range versus calculations, plus my appetite for an Ocean crossing. Plan B would be shipping from the float on - float off vessel south of the US, a much cheaper option than the cradle based shipping ex: Vancouver.
G'day mate,

Unlike my now deceased brother who ran his business out of Canada and the States, I am not a wealthy man. My brother was a wealthy man, he would give tips of $5,000 to a croupier when he had had a good night at the casino. Perhaps he just wanted others to know he was wealthy...Whatever! He was a big tipper and thought nothing of blowing 5 or 20 thousand dollars but as I have said, I'm not a wealthy man, so making a saving of 5,000, or in the case of the American boat in my earlier post, $24,108AU after importing, would be a big saving to me, and I bet that saving would come in handy down the track.

I know I would be better of buying a sail-boat or a motor/sailor that I could cruise back to Australia on it's own bum, this beautiful 12m Island Trader Pilothouse Motor/sailor would have been just the ticket, and the boat was on the right-for-me side of the USA but I was to late...She's now marked as Sold :(
Never mind, I may still find a suitable boat her in AU or NZ...Something like this Davidson 43 in NZ. -The 12m Island Trader is a 1987 Fibreglass/GRP while the Davidson 43 is around a 1971 (the broker say Launched Apx 1971) and it's a Ferro-Cement yacht. The yachts are priced at $69,000NZD and $69,900USD.

I won't go after any sail-boat in a rush as I'm now at an age where I believe a power cruiser, like a Trawler, would be a more suitable boat for my needs but who knows...If I find the right motor/sailor I may be tempted ;)

Bill
Australia

Last edited:
You might want to look at going north to Alaska, follow then Aleutian Islands across to South Korea/Japan and down Asian coast. At least you would not have an ocean crossing. The other is going south to Chile to Easter Island then to Polynesia Islands as the distance is shorter. Probable cheaper shipping south of the board than in the US. As I mentioned before there are a lot of used/older vehicle and boats being shipped out of the US.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom