Seperate Shower & Head Compartments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our shower is in the master stateroom head, along with the toilet. A simple shower curtain keeps the water in the pan and doesn't get the rest of the area wet. When using marinas or public facilities, the laundry hamper resides in the shower. Simple to move if need be. Only down side is that the shower sump pump always has some water in it (below the pan floor) due to the hose being raised higher than the water line to prevent flooding. It gets scummy and needs cleaned out about once a month or so, and definitely completely dried out before winter lay up. Other wise, it works fine for us.

That's what we do. If we're in a marina we take advantage of the marina showers that we have paid for.

Ok. I have to ask this question, not being funny, but serious. This is something we've never quite understood. If you have a shower on the boat, why do so many people then use the marina showers? We never have and just admit some discomfort with the idea of using a public shower. Yet we read and see cruisers who value the quality of the marina shower at the top of their marina evaluation.

My Cherubini has a bathroom that you go through to enter a seperate shower room with a nice bench and opening window to reduces moisture. The master staterooom has a very nice half bath. Couldn't ask for a nicer setup!

Ted

Ok. I have to ask this question, not being funny, but serious. This is something we've never quite understood. If you have a shower on the boat, why do so many people then use the marina showers? We never have and just admit some discomfort with the idea of using a public shower. Yet we read and see cruisers who value the quality of the marina shower at the top of their marina evaluation.

Our small boat has a "wet head". Shower works fine but is a pain in the rump to use IMO. Clean public showers at the marina is no big deal for us. If you prepare properly they can be quite easy. Shower shoes (flippies) work well going to a from the boat and can be worn in the shower too if you fear the cleanliness of the floor.

Cockpit shower would be nice to have and far more useful on a small boat IMO.

Seperate for us. Although we had them together in the camano.

That's what we do. If we're in a marina we take advantage of the marina showers that we have paid for.

Yep, the cockpit shower is great. When anchored I usually take an evening swim, and then shampoo and shower off on the swim platform. We have a stall shower for other times and privacy. When I just want to stand under a hot shower with gobs of water and steam, I will use the marina facilities.

Yep, the cockpit shower is great. When anchored I usually take an evening swim, and then shampoo and shower off on the swim platform. We have a stall shower for other times and privacy. When I just want to stand under a hot shower with gobs of water and steam, I will use the marina facilities.

:thumb:

And you don't have to listen to the annoying sound of the pump cycling telling you that your using too much water..

HOLLYWOOD

I am amazed at how many marina heads aren't heated and if they are...boy some could use weatherstripping etc....:eek:...from the outside it looks like it's on fire if they have hot enough shower water...:D

Of course when you travel when the water to the docks is turned off because of freezing....those winter winds find every crack in those marina heads. :facepalm:

Some are extremely nice, some offer relative privacy (total privacy in some cases), and are much larger than those on boats. Also may have more water pressure than on many boats, including those using dock water with pressure regulator. Takes pressure off sump pumps, and if you are one of those "never hook up to dock water" types, the water pump. Also keeps the boat shower clean. When we lived on moorings, obviously it made sense, even the funky ones at Marathon (which did have decent privacy though).

We have wet head and my plan this winter is to rework the entire area . The faucet handles and shower hose nozzle are at about waist high with the hose for shower head . We are constantly knocking the hose off the nozzle and water goes everywhere :facepalm:I'm thinking on installing one of the faucet / shower head hose units that are in a flush mount box . I will gain about 6" of shower room . That's a lot in a small head . I have seen these for cockpit showers . I have the room on the other side of bulk head for the box . Does anybody here have one of these in their shower/ head ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 94
Shower / Head - Clarification

So are you guys talking about a shower that is a separate shower stall that happens to be in the same room with a door as the commode and sink, like in a house?

Or are you talking about a room with a draining floor that has a shower head, and a sink, and a commode in it?

Sorry, about the lack of definition, I was comparing a single bathroom with an enclosed shower area versus two separate rooms. Wasn't even thinking about a wet head. Thanks for clarifying.

John

Now that I'm working on the plumbing it's time to do any renovations/alterations to modernize the boat. We have two heads with showers. The OSR head has a 3' tub with a handheld shower. The problem here is the tub sits half under the deck. So you sit in the tub and use the wand or stand in the tub, the half that's not under the deck, and use the wand. Functional but not very. The guest head is an all in one with a grated floor. I think this was the main shower for most of this boats life. I also think the PO was a little careless about where water went, hence the delaminated plywood. We will almost always be just the two of us so I'll keep the arrangement and make some modifications to the guest head to channel the water where it belongs. That said, I'll install a cockpit shower before we cruise. We used to shower in the cockpit all the time on the sailboat. Go ahead and look; I'm 66 and don't look anything like celebrity selfies.

Sorry, about the lack of definition, I was comparing a single bathroom with an enclosed shower area versus two separate rooms. Wasn't even thinking about a wet head. Thanks for clarifying.

John

Ut oh.....Where's my eraser.

My preferences in order:

1. Separate head compartment from the shower compartment, especially in a single-head boat. Makes both functions available simultaneously without one interfering with the other.

2. Head with separated shower stall in one compartment. This is what I have on my 34 and it works for us. We open the port and turn on a wall-mounted fan in the stateroom opposite the head to provide forced air venting. I prefer showering onboard to using the marina shower, but the Admiral likes the marina showers. It's nice to have options.

3. Wet head. I think the post-cleanup requirement would greatly limit my use of this type of shower.

John

I can't recall being on a boat where the shower was in a separate room. What else is in there? Just an area to dry off and set your clothes? Now sometimes the toilet is in a separate room as it is in a separately enclosed area. I think most would prefer some degree of privacy even from their spouse when using the toilet. For a couple though I don't see the need for shower privacy. Of course most of the time we shower together, so that would definitely not be an issue.

We have option A in the OSR, option B in the day head, and a hybrid serving the two forward staterooms. Each has its own head, but between the heads is a separate shower room accessed by doors from the two heads. Also, there is a shower only in the crew quarters.

I thought that multitasking was a good thing. Are you guys saying that you don't enjoy the time-saving practice of using the toilet and showering at the same time? One can even shave his/her legs while sitting on the toilet - no shower bench needed.:D

Seriously, in our case, the shower is combined with the head so it's a bit inconvenient to use because we have to move all the pill bottles and such (old geezers here) out, it steams up the boat and we have to wipe it down afterwards and put stuff back. There are two of us so we have to take turns while most marinas have multiple showers.

The boat has limited hot water and limited water in general although we usually fill the tanks before leaving. We have to take "Navy" showers while using the marina showers we can use as much water as we please.

Sometimes, of course, the marina showers are not up to standard but often they are nicer than the ones we have at home. We stayed at one marina with steam showers.

We are paying for them, why not use them?

Seriously, in our case, the shower is combined with the head so it's a bit inconvenient to use because we have to move all the pill bottles and such (old geezers here) out, it steams up the boat and we have to wipe it down afterwards and put stuff back. There are two of us so we have to take turns while most marinas have multiple showers.

The boat has limited hot water and limited water in general although we usually fill the tanks before leaving. We have to take "Navy" showers while using the marina showers we can use as much water as we please.

Sometimes, of course, the marina showers are not up to standard but often they are nicer than the ones we have at home. We stayed at one marina with steam showers.

We are paying for them, why not use them?

I've honestly never looked inside any of them so perhaps should just to further educate myself. And I definitely understand in the situation you describe with the shower and head combined.

That's easy to answer, and others may well have said the same - saves water for later when not in a marina...and you can luxuriate in it for longer as well. Sort of a treat, whereas on the boat you have to be brief, frugal, and NOT luxuriate..!

I never use the marina showers, mine is better. If I do run out of water I just refill with the marina water. All of these posts about showers in boats, and the compromises, causes me to remember a post years back (maybe not on this forum) that said "an older sportfisher over 45 foot would be the best liveaboard arrangement possible". I definitely agree.

I can't recall being on a boat where the shower was in a separate room. What else is in there? Just an area to dry off and set your clothes? Now sometimes the toilet is in a separate room as it is in a separately enclosed area. I think most would prefer some degree of privacy even from their spouse when using the toilet. For a couple though I don't see the need for shower privacy. Of course most of the time we shower together, so that would definitely not be an issue.

Heh...

OK, some of that aside... :)

Our shower is a separate room, with seat, counter area, and dry storage cabinet above for towels and so forth. Light, exhaust fan...

Privacy isn't our issue. For us, the multi-tasking is often useful... even if we do sometimes....

That said, if we're in a marina with a decent pool, for example, we usually take an afternoon swim and then shower in their facility before returning to the boat. That saves us a bit of water on board (we seldom connect to dock water), lets us have a "real" shower instead of a Navy version, probably reduces wear on our pump, and mostly means the last one out doesn't have to spend time completely wiping down/drying the room to prevent mold.

-Chris

Is the shower on your boat nicer than this one? (Steam shower at River Dunes near Oriental, NC)

Attachments

• Chesapeake 076.jpg
    Chesapeake 076.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 98

John

OK John thanks for the clarification...

I would prefer if space allows to have the shower behind the same shutting door as the commode.

The reason is simple. Sometimes people use both devices during the same time period. Having a sink outside of that area is fine, as long as there is a sink inside the area as well, to wash hands after using the commode.

I wish !!!. I would rather have the big shower head in the top. Something about water cascading straight down like rain is so nice.

Is the shower on your boat nicer than this one? (Steam shower at River Dunes near Oriental, NC)

Wifey B: Looks nice. Truth is my hubby is too much of a germaphobe to use a public shower. All the more reason our boat shower must be nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom