Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
Guru

Shower / Head - Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
So are you guys talking about a shower that is a separate shower stall that happens to be in the same room with a door as the commode and sink, like in a house?

Or are you talking about a room with a draining floor that has a shower head, and a sink, and a commode in it?
Sorry, about the lack of definition, I was comparing a single bathroom with an enclosed shower area versus two separate rooms. Wasn't even thinking about a wet head. Thanks for clarifying.

John

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #42

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Now that I'm working on the plumbing it's time to do any renovations/alterations to modernize the boat. We have two heads with showers. The OSR head has a 3' tub with a handheld shower. The problem here is the tub sits half under the deck. So you sit in the tub and use the wand or stand in the tub, the half that's not under the deck, and use the wand. Functional but not very. The guest head is an all in one with a grated floor. I think this was the main shower for most of this boats life. I also think the PO was a little careless about where water went, hence the delaminated plywood. We will almost always be just the two of us so I'll keep the arrangement and make some modifications to the guest head to channel the water where it belongs. That said, I'll install a cockpit shower before we cruise. We used to shower in the cockpit all the time on the sailboat. Go ahead and look; I'm 66 and don't look anything like celebrity selfies.

Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Sorry, about the lack of definition, I was comparing a single bathroom with an enclosed shower area versus two separate rooms. Wasn't even thinking about a wet head. Thanks for clarifying.

John
Ut oh.....Where's my eraser.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My preferences in order:

1. Separate head compartment from the shower compartment, especially in a single-head boat. Makes both functions available simultaneously without one interfering with the other.

2. Head with separated shower stall in one compartment. This is what I have on my 34 and it works for us. We open the port and turn on a wall-mounted fan in the stateroom opposite the head to provide forced air venting. I prefer showering onboard to using the marina shower, but the Admiral likes the marina showers. It's nice to have options.

3. Wet head. I think the post-cleanup requirement would greatly limit my use of this type of shower.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:

John
I can't recall being on a boat where the shower was in a separate room. What else is in there? Just an area to dry off and set your clothes? Now sometimes the toilet is in a separate room as it is in a separately enclosed area. I think most would prefer some degree of privacy even from their spouse when using the toilet. For a couple though I don't see the need for shower privacy. Of course most of the time we shower together, so that would definitely not be an issue.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #46
Guru

City: West Coast
We have option A in the OSR, option B in the day head, and a hybrid serving the two forward staterooms. Each has its own head, but between the heads is a separate shower room accessed by doors from the two heads. Also, there is a shower only in the crew quarters.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #47

I thought that multitasking was a good thing. Are you guys saying that you don't enjoy the time-saving practice of using the toilet and showering at the same time? One can even shave his/her legs while sitting on the toilet - no shower bench needed.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #48
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Ok. I have to ask this question, not being funny, but serious. This is something we've never quite understood. If you have a shower on the boat, why do so many people then use the marina showers? We never have and just admit some discomfort with the idea of using a public shower. Yet we read and see cruisers who value the quality of the marina shower at the top of their marina evaluation.
Seriously, in our case, the shower is combined with the head so it's a bit inconvenient to use because we have to move all the pill bottles and such (old geezers here) out, it steams up the boat and we have to wipe it down afterwards and put stuff back. There are two of us so we have to take turns while most marinas have multiple showers.

The boat has limited hot water and limited water in general although we usually fill the tanks before leaving. We have to take "Navy" showers while using the marina showers we can use as much water as we please.

Sometimes, of course, the marina showers are not up to standard but often they are nicer than the ones we have at home. We stayed at one marina with steam showers.

We are paying for them, why not use them?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Seriously, in our case, the shower is combined with the head so it's a bit inconvenient to use because we have to move all the pill bottles and such (old geezers here) out, it steams up the boat and we have to wipe it down afterwards and put stuff back. There are two of us so we have to take turns while most marinas have multiple showers.

The boat has limited hot water and limited water in general although we usually fill the tanks before leaving. We have to take "Navy" showers while using the marina showers we can use as much water as we please.

Sometimes, of course, the marina showers are not up to standard but often they are nicer than the ones we have at home. We stayed at one marina with steam showers.

We are paying for them, why not use them?
I've honestly never looked inside any of them so perhaps should just to further educate myself. And I definitely understand in the situation you describe with the shower and head combined.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Ok. I have to ask this question, not being funny, but serious. This is something we've never quite understood. If you have a shower on the boat, why do so many people then use the marina showers? We never have and just admit some discomfort with the idea of using a public shower. Yet we read and see cruisers who value the quality of the marina shower at the top of their marina evaluation.
That's easy to answer, and others may well have said the same - saves water for later when not in a marina...and you can luxuriate in it for longer as well. Sort of a treat, whereas on the boat you have to be brief, frugal, and NOT luxuriate..!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #51
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I never use the marina showers, mine is better. If I do run out of water I just refill with the marina water. All of these posts about showers in boats, and the compromises, causes me to remember a post years back (maybe not on this forum) that said "an older sportfisher over 45 foot would be the best liveaboard arrangement possible". I definitely agree.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #52
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
I can't recall being on a boat where the shower was in a separate room. What else is in there? Just an area to dry off and set your clothes? Now sometimes the toilet is in a separate room as it is in a separately enclosed area. I think most would prefer some degree of privacy even from their spouse when using the toilet. For a couple though I don't see the need for shower privacy. Of course most of the time we shower together, so that would definitely not be an issue.

Heh...

OK, some of that aside...

Our shower is a separate room, with seat, counter area, and dry storage cabinet above for towels and so forth. Light, exhaust fan...

Privacy isn't our issue. For us, the multi-tasking is often useful... even if we do sometimes....

That said, if we're in a marina with a decent pool, for example, we usually take an afternoon swim and then shower in their facility before returning to the boat. That saves us a bit of water on board (we seldom connect to dock water), lets us have a "real" shower instead of a Navy version, probably reduces wear on our pump, and mostly means the last one out doesn't have to spend time completely wiping down/drying the room to prevent mold.

-Chris
Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #53
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Is the shower on your boat nicer than this one? (Steam shower at River Dunes near Oriental, NC)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chesapeake 076.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	32689  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:

John
OK John thanks for the clarification...

I would prefer if space allows to have the shower behind the same shutting door as the commode.

The reason is simple. Sometimes people use both devices during the same time period. Having a sink outside of that area is fine, as long as there is a sink inside the area as well, to wash hands after using the commode.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #55
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I wish !!!. I would rather have the big shower head in the top. Something about water cascading straight down like rain is so nice.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Is the shower on your boat nicer than this one? (Steam shower at River Dunes near Oriental, NC)
Wifey B: Looks nice. Truth is my hubby is too much of a germaphobe to use a public shower. All the more reason our boat shower must be nice.