securing for hurricanes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ya mon

Veteran Member
I am a total neophyte to this forum. I would like to know what should be done to my boat while docked at the marina to protect it from hurricanes? Any and all advice is welcome!:confused:

I would like to know what should be done to my boat while docked at the marina to protect it from hurricanes?

Select a marina NOT in a coastal hurricane Zone.

Select a marina NOT in a coastal hurricane Zone.

First and best option ... everything else is faith based.

All the hardware and forethought and experience in the world will not protect you from the guy nearby who didn't take any precautions.

I am a total neophyte to this forum. I would like to know what should be done to my boat while docked at the marina to protect it from hurricanes? Any and all advice is welcome!:confused:
Lots of ropes and fenders. I bought two 600' rolls of 1 1/4" line and used them all during our last storm. Charge your batteries and make sure you have anything that will blow around tied down.

Remove all canvas, cushions, grills, and anything that can become a projectile. Secure the bimini framing. Double lines all around including spring lines. You have to at least double up so if one chafs through another is still there. And make sure your scuppers are clear and unobstructed. Tie the boat as securely as you can in the middle of the slip so it can't crash into docks or pilings.

And encourage your slip neighbors to do the same.

Alright guys, Bess had the best and most usable answer. It's too late to change marinas, so do the best you can as Bess just outlined. He is already in the path of the storm.

A lot depends on where the boat is, and the marina situation. I would also ask the old hands and marina staff what is the usual preparation.

Where is Newport? NC, VA, RI, or other?

Moonstruck is getting pounded by 38 mph winds right now.

Last edited:
My community is on a small peninsula. A few of the hand wringing, old wimmen are asking, "What is the Board going to do about this storm? Will the association be providing sand bags?" :eek:

Really? People funny. :socool:

Here's a lesson I learned during September's Hurricane Isaac: don't tie your lines too short. If the water rises too high the lines basically hold your boat in place and can swamp the boat if the water keeps coming up. Isaac came through with the highest water ever seen in my area. I sweated this one out big time as I knew my lines were tied short so the radar mast wouldn't poke a hole through the roof over my slip. Got lucky this time.
Mike
Baton Rouge

We regularly have 100 mph winds gusts in the winter.
My boat looks like it has a spiderweb of lines and lots of fenders.
Once she is tied. Push and pull on the boat every way you can to be sure she won't hit anything. She should stand static on her lines.

Then the single malt.

And bon chance to you.

Sd

I have been living aboard for a long time. Over the years I have seen alot of marinas fail through major weather events. Yet something few pay much attenion too. Boats along with parts of a marina can become some very nasty projectiles you simply stay clear of. To watch in horror as they rip through what used to be sound sections of the facility.

Some marinas will respect your input when you see an issue. Some not so much. But remember they hold no accountability, it is realy left up too you and your insurance. So sometimes its best to act and ask for forgiveness after that weather event. Like adding a line to a dock where the connection's to sections are or a zap strap to hold a power cable away from something that it could chaff on etc etc. Rope accross from finger to finger or such.

Just some random thoughts.

I hope all stay safe and there boats weather the storm.

skipperdude said:
We regularly have 100 mph winds gusts in the winter.
My boat looks like it has a spiderweb of lines and lots of fenders.
Once she is tied. Push and pull on the boat every way you can to be sure she won't hit anything. She should stand static on her lines.

Then the single malt.

And bon chance to you.

Sd

While we don't get 100 mph gusts unless it's a hurricane, here in Florida we do get 30-45 kt gusts frequently in the winter. Lots of fenders and lines. When we prepare for a TS or Hurricane,we too have 15 or more lines in a web on our boat. Also, in a marina or at a dock, we have pulled out of our slip and dropped two anchors, then back in the slip to keep us off the dock (if the marina doesn't want anchors in the marina channels, we have dropped our anchor and chain in the slip to help keep the bow straight- helps if you live aboard and are riding out the storm). Depending on the storm, we sometimes take off all bridge canvas or roll up the eisenglass (with towels inside each rolled up eisenglass as it will get scratched if you don't) so the wind can get through.

Best of luck to you folks in Sandy's path.

"Haul out."

BUT be sure to find out what the Cat 5 storm surge is in that area.

Hauling out in a marina ,20 ft above High Water level, will not help if the local area storm surge is 30 FT.

FF

Lots of lines with chafe protection, canvas down, power off. shore power cord off, fridge empty of perishables,
If you are in an area subject to surge be sure the lines while holding the boat in the middle of the slip will be slack enough for the boat to rise with the tide.
Good luck, it is a great feeling to go to the boat after a bad storm and find her still afloat. I have been lucky 3 times so far, knock on wood!
Steve W

Hurricane Checklist

• Install storm lines and chafe gear. Double line everything.
  • Remove roller furling headsails.
  • Lash sail covers or remove sails completely.
  • Lower bimini (lash to deck or take ashore).
  • Remove tarps from dock canopies.
  • Make sure your dock box is locked, to keep the cover closed.
  • Remove shore power cords, phone line cords, and shore water hose.
  • Remove all deck gear that could blow around in the storm (stow below or take ashore).
  • Dinghies must be removed from the marina.
  • Shut off all lines to fuel, propane, alcohol tanks, etc. Remove any propane tanks that are exposed outdoors.
  • Fill water tanks and close valves.
  • Close fuel tank valves and tape over vents to prevent water from blowing in.
  • Charge batteries and turn off all DC systems except automatic bilge pumps.
  • Close all seacocks except cockpit drains (make sure drain hoses are secure).
  • Secure or remove all articles inside vessel (take breakable and expensive articles including electronics ashore).
  • Remove or plug all ventilation cowls and close deck plates.
  • Plug engine exhaust ports to keep water out.
  • Secure and seal all hatches and companionway covers. Duct tape all seams at windows, hatches, cowlings, etc.
  • Check to be sure all lines are tied properly and will not slip off cleats, either on the boat or the dock. Make sure chafe protection is on all wear points.
  • Secure fenders at base of stanchions, NOT on lifelines.
  • Remove all important documents from the boat, such as Federal documentation, insurance policy, state registrations, etc.
  • Ensure that your shaft logs are not leaking excessively. Remember that when the power is out for a few days, the bilge pumps may exhaust your batteries.
  • Do not stay aboard. Evacuate by a planned route.

My thought exactly.

No we get 38 mph winds frequently in thunderstorms, but they don't usually sustain for 48 hours or so. Also the sustained winds blowing water in from the sea creates extremely high tides and a surge in the harbor. That surge bounces of sea walls and makes for very bouncy waves that put a lot of stress on lines That's the difference in a brief storm and a near brush by a hurricane. This time the winds stayed below 50.

Thanks. I guess Marin and I were wondering as it is fairly common to get sustained gale and storm force winds this time of year in the PNW. Hurricane force is common off of Vancouver Island as well.

Don't really even go and check on the boat unless it's going to blow over 40 (knots).

Picture of local marina breakwater in a storm.

Never spent any time in your area, so just curious.

Lots of ropes and fenders. I bought two 600' rolls of 1 1/4" line and used them all during our last storm. Charge your batteries and make sure you have anything that will blow around tied down.

1,200 feet of line to tie a boat to a dock? It must have looked like one of those potholder kits we used to make for our mothers when we were kids! ;)

Here's a lesson I learned during September's Hurricane Isaac: don't tie your lines too short. If the water rises too high the lines basically hold your boat in place and can swamp the boat if the water keeps coming up. .....

On the assumption that you have a fixed dock. Advice for a floating dock would be different.

For anyone who hasn't been through this before, the best people to ask are the other slip holders and the dock master at your own marina. Different marinas face different risks and are constructed differently.

At my marina, boats must vacate or be pulled and stored on land by the marina staff (they charge for this). The current storm has not caused this to happen at my marina, it is far enough offshore to just bring strong winds and some rain.

No we get 38 mph winds frequently in thunderstorms, but they don't usually sustain for 48 hours or so. Also the sustained winds blowing water in from the sea creates extremely high tides and a surge in the harbor. That surge bounces of sea walls and makes for very bouncy waves that put a lot of stress on lines That's the difference in a brief storm and a near brush by a hurricane. This time the winds stayed below 50.

Don: You bring up a good point on the storm surge. When we were in Mexico, a hurricane's storm surge, was not a consideration, less than a foot. In the PNW maybe a tsunami?

It seems to me the storm surge on your coast and the Gulf is where the real damage can be done. How do you prepare for that?

Ike, 2008, 15-20' above normal tide levels. Katrina, 2005, 25-28' and Isabel, which impacted the Chesapeake in 2003, 8'.

Thanks for the clarification. In our area and probably in Norther Spy's area, too, as he's on the very large Strait of Georgia, fronts that bring sustained winds of 30-45 mph are fairly common, particularly in the winter. But these winds generally only last in this strength for a day or less. They often bring gusts of 50 to 60 mph, however. The highest gusts recorded in Bellingham harbor since we've kept our boat there have been 80 mph.

I would not be surprised to learn that Northern Spy's home port can be subject to stronger winds than our area.

Don: You bring up a good point on the storm surge. When we were in Mexico, a hurricane's storm surge, was not a consideration, less than a foot. In the PNW maybe a tsunami?

It seems to me the storm surge on your coast and the Gulf is where the real damage can be done. How do you prepare for that?' and Isabel, which impacted the Chesapeake in 2003, 8'.

Larry, I think you will find that places like along the northern Gulf coast tend to have the highest storm surges. The Gulf is like a big lake with no where for the water pushed ahead of the storm to go. Hurricane Camille in I think '69 was pushing a 25' surge with about a 12' breaking sea on top. It came in around Long Beach and Pass Christian MS and caused massive destruction and loss of life. Once the water is funneled into a fairly confined area, it rises exponentially over what it would in a more open area.

The opposite of that usually happens along the Florida west coast. With the counter-clockwise motion of the wind, a storm moving north will tend to blow water away from that coast. Hurricane Charlie that caused so much damage around Punta Gorda was one of those. It came up along the coast and all of a sudden turned right across Little Captiva Island. Most of the damage from Charlie was wind damage.

Take a look at the coast line on the East Coast. In the South we have the highest tides around the Georgia/SC line. The water funnels into there. In the North the Bay of Fundy is narrow and has about 49' tides.

Due to the counter-clockwise spin of a hurricane, on the East coast it tends to pile the water up as it goes. If floating docks hold together and the spud poles are tall enough, they will ride up and down. Mostly we have fixed docks. Also, boats seem to be packed in like sardines or Sandy River Smelts for you West coast guys. Not much space between pilings, so lines must be adjusted as the water rises and falls. The big decision is whether to haul or not. We hauled last fall at Hilton Head, and for Isaac this year at Ft. Pierce. I came close to making that decision with Sandy, but no track showed it coming ashore.

Last edited:
Due to the counter-clockwise spin of a hurricane, on the East coast it tends to pile the water up as it goes.

With only a year and a half of boating experience on the East Coast (although 30+ years on the West Coast), I'm learning more than I ever wanted to know about hurricanes. Under current predictions (which change hourly) Sandy will hit land right about the Delaware Bay. This will cause surge in the bay and anything to the right (north) of it. It will likely draw water OUT of Chesapeake Bay (just like during Irene) as the spin will push water out to sea and bay levels will drop, not rise.

dvd

With only a year and a half of boating experience on the East Coast (although 30+ years on the West Coast), I'm learning more than I ever wanted to know about hurricanes. Under current predictions (which change hourly) Sandy will hit land right about the Delaware Bay. This will cause surge in the bay and anything to the right (north) of it. It will likely draw water OUT of Chesapeake Bay (just like during Irene) as the spin will push water out to sea and bay levels will drop, not rise.

dvd

Due to the funnel shape of the Delaware Bay I would think that it would pile water up in there quite a bit. Do you think it will get to Philadelphia? Do you think it will affect New Castle?

That bay is notoriously rough. I had a friend take a 43' Hatteras to Opsail '76 in New York Harbor. He came back into Morehead City with the Imron paint beat off the bow of his boat.

Due to the funnel shape of the Delaware Bay I would think that it would pile water up in there quite a bit. Do you think it will get to Philadelphia? Do you think it will affect New Castle?

All depends on where Sandy hits land. Philadelphia is under a flood alert starting tomorrow evening and the combination of heavy rain, high fall tides and the storm surge up the bay could make a lot of new waterfront property. New Castle DE? Likely. New Castle PA (NW of Pittsburgh)? Unlikely:nonono:.

dvd

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom