Old 03-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #41
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
.... One thing I have not seen mentioned is socialization. Think of living on the hook like living on a deserted island.
That would be the best **c*i** part!

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #42
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Other thoughts:
Snail Mail coming or going. There will be some occasionally. Where are you going to have people send it?
Address for ID's, taxes, etc?
Land access for the dinghy for food, grocery's, etc. Be prepared to do a lot of walking from public boat ramps and parks to the nearest market.
Laundry nearby?
Doctors, dentist, healthcare?
Do you expect to keep a car somewhere? Parking, Insurance.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Enroute to Cape May, NJ
Currently Charleston, SC
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #43
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Other thoughts:
Snail Mail coming or going. There will be some occasionally. Where are you going to have people send it?
Address for ID's, taxes, etc?
Land access for the dinghy for food, grocery's, etc. Be prepared to do a lot of walking from public boat ramps and parks to the nearest market.
Laundry nearby?
Doctors, dentist, healthcare?
Do you expect to keep a car somewhere? Parking, Insurance.
A mail service like St Brendan's Isle will handle snail mail, residency etc and Lyft or Uber will deal with the car situation. Also a folding bicycle will get you around as well.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #44
FF
Guru

Living aboard on the hook is like camping,

ONLY if the boat was not outfitted for the task.

With a properly set up boat that cruises, water, waste water dump and garbage disposal are all included in the next 10 gallons of fuel you purchase.

A mooring for a month is harder as the waste must be taken off , or a better toilet system is required.An incinolet is expensive so never a first choice.

A dream would be a slip with a 13ft Whaler that has fresh water and waste water bladders , but Whalers are big and heavy to carry .

A mooring is to me the finest style of living , especially compared to marina living.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Living aboard on the hook is like camping,

ONLY if the boat was not outfitted for the task.

With a properly set up boat that cruises, water, waste water dump and garbage disposal are all included in the next 10 gallons of fuel you purchase.

A mooring for a month is harder as the waste must be taken off , or a better toilet system is required.An incinolet is expensive so never a first choice.

A dream would be a slip with a 13ft Whaler that has fresh water and waste water bladders , but Whalers are big and heavy to carry .

A mooring is to me the finest style of living , especially compared to marina living.
Agreed. If you can handle the drinking water and waste products adequately, it is quite doable on an extended mooring. I enjoyed a 2 week trip while solo aboard my 34 footer without any hookups, pumpouts or added provisions. I never once felt like I was camping as I had all the comforts of home including cellphone, internet, TV and plenty of power.

If I have to relocate every 10-14 days to pump out and refill water, that's fine by me. But then again, I'm not living aboard....just vacationing.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #46
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
pumpout boat throughout the keys is free...they come to you once a week if you stay in one anchorage, but their schedule for anchorages is online or available via phone.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #47
FF
Guru

IF you have a mail forwarding service , you can instruct the sender to mark their envelope ,,,

"General Delivery , Hold For Arrival of yacht Bla Bla, , and have it sent to the town you will be to in a few days.

Beware in a large town the Main PO may require a taxi ride "downtown" to pick up the mail,so a small easy to walk town might work better.

A marina may also offer this service , call to find out, but Marinas are frequently less secure than the PO folks.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, diesel, live a board, water