Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #61
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Actually with a combination of the KVH V3 MiniVSAT and when at dock or Anchor the WAVE WiFi internet "EC" systems you can do IPTV, Netflix etc. KVH even has a methods and procedure written up for obtaining the best results using the V3 Mini VSAT data terminal for TV programming. While it's possible I'd still prefer to use a combination of all 3 units, using the KVH TracVision for my primary premium TV reception.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #62
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
You need not get too fancy. A SSB or Ham radio will supply you with both weather and emails just about anywhere. To my knowledge you cannot surf the net however.

The SSB/Ham radios are used throughout the Caribbean. There are a number of weather and security nets broadcasting daily. Don't know about the Pacific, but I would guess similar nets exist.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #63
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Actually with a combination of the KVH V3 MiniVSAT and when at dock or Anchor the WAVE WiFi internet "EC" systems you can do IPTV, Netflix etc. KVH even has a methods and procedure written up for obtaining the best results using the V3 Mini VSAT data terminal for TV programming. While it's possible I'd still prefer to use a combination of all 3 units, using the KVH TracVision for my primary premium TV reception.
Bill
Yes, you can download TV content over the KVH but few would want to at 0.99 per MB

That means a high def movie will cost you $4,000.

My system automatically switches between cell and satellite. I had to set up data usage rules in my router after getting a $850 bill because my Apple TV unit did a 850MB update while on satellite.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #64
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yes, you can download TV content over the KVH but few would want to at 0.99 per MB

That means a high def movie will cost you $4,000.

My system automatically switches between cell and satellite. I had to set up data usage rules in my router after getting a $850 bill because my Apple TV unit did a 850MB update while on satellite.
I agree what's technically possible and what is financially "$$$" practical are entirely different. I'm partial to RUCKUS WIRELESS Media Flex for IPTV distribution inside the vessel.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #65
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
I agree what's technically possible and what is financially "$$$" practical are entirely different. I'm partial to RUCKUS WIRELESS Media Flex for IPTV distribution inside the vessel.
Bill
I'm not familiar with those products. While I'm a tech geek guy, my wife is not. systems need to either run in the background or be easy for her to use.

We keep it simple. We use Apple TV. From that we can watch movies stored on my laptops extenal "itunes disk", or we can download new content. Hulu also works from the Apple TV.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #66
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Maurader
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Trawler
Not sure about the TV. In Canada I use a data stick from wind mobile. Unlimited for $30 a month!
kyle911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #67
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle911 View Post
Not sure about the TV. In Canada I use a data stick from wind mobile. Unlimited for $30 a month!
Yes but extremely limited coverage. D

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote