Old 07-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
The KVH M1 TracVision also works quite well in all but heavy rain. It can be purchased for Dish networks or DIRECT TV but not both. If you choose DIRECT you are limited to DTV not HDTV. I still think DTV looks pretty good for my old eyes.
I'm a Direct TV fan and am using a KVH M3ST that I purchased for around $1500 used. It was in perfect condition and still is!
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post

When you see what a sharp picture you'll get from a HD Antenna that they sell at Costco (comes with an extra cable for more channels) of Home Depot or Lowes for $30.00 your going to be pissed at the cable companies for what they call HD! It allows you to pick up channels that used to be free (remember pre-digital days?) FOR free.

No subscriptions, nothing but a antenna that picks up the networks It's paper thin and you just use Scotch tape to place it.

Yeah, the source material has to be HD. Some HD broadcast is 720p, some is 1080i... usually new-ish programming, sports and so forth.... but then some is also still 480i (as I have Quigley Down Under on broadcast in the background from broadcast, as we speak, @480i).

I guess the cable guys only provide the better quality if you subscribe to their HD service. Otherwise, they're delivering 480i. Our service simply adds HD channels to the originals, so we have both... and have to remember which channel to tune to for best quality.

Here in the marina, several neighbors have Dish and DirectTV dishes attached to piles. A couple boats share one feed. Two liveaboard couples also temporarily move their dishes to their wintertime slips every year, too. None of them are inclined to watch much TV while underway, and anyway they also have the fairly-standard amplified VHF/UHF TV antennas anyway for local network shows, like sports and so forth.

-Chris

Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
If you look closely in the center of the picture, this is what we do in Wrangell. None of the typical KVH or Intellian antennas will work in the land of big dishes as they are too small. I am surprised the antenna on the float maintains good alignment with the large tide swings and tidal movement in the harbor.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	31181  
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
If you look closely in the center of the picture, this is what we do in Wrangell. None of the typical KVH or Intellian antennas will work in the land of big dishes as they are too small. I am surprised the antenna on the float maintains good alignment with the large tide swings and tidal movement in the harbor.

Tom
Tom has hinted at an issue not discussed so far. In North America the typical satellite dish is 18" a little under a half meter. Once north of British Columbia to the west, east of Bra D'Or to the north east and south of the Abacos in the Bahamas to the south east you need a 24" dish. Thus the less expensive KVH units which are 18" dishes will not work in these areas.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
Guru

Antenna size is proportional to antenna gain and in this case an expanded footprint. The larger sized dishes require better stabilization to stay on the satellite.
Then again I remember the TVRO days where C band dishes between 3 and 4 meters were found on many rural houses. Then again the programming was free as well.
Bill
Old 07-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
My vote goes for KVH, we're currently in the exumas and recently installed and M-5 while no cheap feat it's great. We tracked the tropical depression that's now a hurricane from the safety of our salon.
I'm a KVH fan as well.

This morning I ran my business from my boat while underway. I had clear telephone and data connectivity allowing us to be on the boat instead of stuck at the office.

Right now we're underway and will stop for some Ling Cod fishing in 4.43nm
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I'm a KVH fan as well.

This morning I ran my business from my boat while underway. I had clear telephone and data connectivity allowing us to be on the boat instead of stuck at the office.

Right now we're underway and will stop for some Ling Cod fishing in 4.43nm
I'm a KVH fan as well, I'm curious what service do you use for telephone and Internet when WiFi or Cellular isn't available? I used to use a Skipper 150 on Fleet Broadband before the monthly rates went through the roof. I'm actually thinking of using the new Globalstar hotspot smartphone VOIP interface unit. I had unreliable service when I installed a Wavecall on Globalstar years ago. It's still not clear to me if they have really launched their new satellites? Perhaps the Iridium RedPort instead? I'm undecided and currently I have no need for sat based phone service unless there is a natural event and we retreat to the boat until the local services and networks come back on-line.
Bill
Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
I'm a KVH fan as well, I'm curious what service do you use for telephone and Internet when WiFi or Cellular isn't available? I used to use a Skipper 150 on Fleet Broadband before the monthly rates went through the roof. I'm actually thinking of using the new Globalstar hotspot smartphone VOIP interface unit. I had unreliable service when I installed a Wavecall on Globalstar years ago. It's still not clear to me if they have really launched their new satellites? Perhaps the Iridium RedPort instead? I'm undecided and currently I have no need for sat based phone service unless there is a natural event and we retreat to the boat until the local services and networks come back on-line.
Bill
We use KVH Mini VSAT service. Download of 2mbps at .99/mb and voice which is VOIP at .49 per minute.

I discussed using my CISCO call manager phone but their engineers said it would be a PITA to get the QOS set up. They have their own VOIP gateway with a POTS interface.

My network on the boat is based on a Cradlepoint mbr1200 which has two USB ports for cellular modems. It switches over to the satellite service automatically if I can't ping googls DNS server from the cellular modem.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #29
Guru

That's the service I like other than the initial costs. If I would have known that the Fleet Broadband service was going to cost as much as it did I would have waited for the MiNi VSAT unit to come out. I really only need 100% reliable phone service for data I work around my Outlook using Google Mail services. I use a SIP box through either WiFi or LTE cellular data for reliable phone service for now.
Bill
Old 07-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
That's the service I like other than the initial costs. If I would have known that the Fleet Broadband service was going to cost as much as it did I would have waited for the MiNi VSAT unit to come out. I really only need 100% reliable phone service for data I work around my Outlook using Google Mail services. I use a SIP box through either WiFi or LTE cellular data for reliable phone service for now.
Bill
I can get my CISCO phone tied to my call manager to work reliably on the cellular system as well, and that's what I generally use while in port.

Haven't fooled around with other SIP gear very much. I feel like a traitor using the cradlepoint but it works great and is less expensive than a 2900 router.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #31
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I am cheap! We have a DIRECTV dish mounted to a 4X4 piece of plywood. Once you know how re aliening/positioning the dish is not hard. Also if you tie the boat tight to the dock so it does not swing much we donít loose reception. The standard dish has a wide reception width. We did not loose reception once during the winter wind storm, 60+ mph. So I would buy a basic land dish and try mounting it to the boat and see how it works before spending a lot of money. When we are anchoring/cruising we have DVD.

As for internet we have Verizon phones that are WIFI hot spots. The new 4G note pad, also a hot spot, works for 90% of our internet needs.

In September we are buying boat monitor/security system, BoatNanny, that is cellular service that will sent help messages to 3 phones. However it only works on ATT, not Verizon. It works on a prepaid SIM card.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #32
Guru

It's fine to use 4G Smartphones as access points but they don't work well when trying to streetch the string. I prefer a dedicated modem with external antenna ports, use it with a CradlePoint router for CAT5 cabling or rebroadcast inside the boat. You'll want an Omni antenna one that you can use from 694 to 2100MHz and mounted high and outside the boat. You'll find you data speeds will be higher and more reliable and the battery on the smartphone will thank you.
I would look at VZW's latest USB modem the Samsung ULM295 it does LTE on the 700MHz band and the AWS band. If only 3G is available it uses 800MHz and PCS frequencies. I have found there appear to be more 4G LTE sites than the older CDMA2000 legacy CDMA sites. Plus 3G data at best does 2.4mbps DL and about 1 mbps UL so LTE is the prefered signaling method for data.
Bill
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #33

City: White House Cove Marina
Vessel Name: Saltwater's Dream
Vessel Model: 44' Gulf star Trawler
Nope Steve afraid not. Thanks for your post though
salty sailors wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Carson City
Vessel Name: Cabernet
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 NS
Oliver your KVH is satellite internet?
rpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #35
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeterson View Post

Nope just sat tv.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeterson View Post
Mine is, and I love it!
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #37
Guru

ksanders ubut you paid approximately $16k for the KVH MVSAT though. That's pretty hefty for equipment only. You still have a nice set up.
Bill
Old 10-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
ksanders ubut you paid approximately $16k for the KVH MVSAT though. That's pretty hefty for equipment only. You still have a nice set up.
Bill
They aren't cheap. That's for sure. Neither is maintaining connectivity on travels. But KSanders is in that situation where there really isn't a choice. He wants to enjoy the water, then it's a necessity. We're almost in that same situation. We really feel the need with our business to be in touch. With KSanders it's a 100% necessity. With us, on it's on probably 70% necessity but for our mental and emotional state on board it becomes 100%. He couldn't be out of touch. We wouldn't be comfortable being out of touch.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #39
Guru

I fully understand the need to have 100% connectivity if you want to spend a considerable time on board and not be stuck to your office.
Bill
Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Yes, providing connectivity is not an option for me as a small business owner.

The KVH setup releases me from the office. I may only take 5 phone calls a day, but those 5 calls are needed for my business to function and generate revenue.

One good thing is that it is a legitimate business expense. The boat is owned by me. The telecom gear iis owned, and the service paid for by the business.

As a person I think allot about expendatures of this magnitude. As a business owner all it has to be is cost justified. The actual number is for the most part irrelevant as long as there is an underlying cost justiification.

www.mvlisasway.com